Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a little bragging, sorta. second year racing but 4 of 7 last year were on the rc51 at loudon in novice class. this season on a 848 i wanted to concentrate on amateur ccs mid atlantic region. living in NJ it meant alot more traveling then doing the atlantic region but i wanted to do more tracks then just NJMP and Summit Point. plans were to concentrate on F40, Supertwins & heavyweight supersport. maybe run a couple others just for fun. as the mid atlantic started was on the podium 5 of 6 races. then races overlapped with atlantic at NJMP and Summit point. with more wins and podiums i figured might as well run both series but just do F40 and supertwins in atlantic since it was close and both raced on saturday. ran up and down the east coast during the summer including 3 weekends in a row in 100f+ weather, vir-njmp-summit.:wackythat 3 week run started 9 days after being sideswiped on my streetbike & huring my left knee. was on crutches for 4-5 days. at vir was the first time back on the bike not knowing if i could even ride, hell still had stitches from a small cut. actually had to lift my foot onto the peg by hand and kept riding a stationary bike to keep things loose before then ice after the race. luckily as the year wound down i had enough points could take it easy. by the last round at VIR also found out i was close 2nd in F40 south east region too and could move up in the other classes also seing how it was a double points race. mid atlantic didnt have to race f40, twins and hwss only needed to finish. finished the season F40 a bunch of wins. supertwins no wins but all podiums but 1 4th. HW supersport lots of top 5 but just a couple 3rd's, best of all no crashes or dnf's. just finished off last weekend at the race of champions with 4th in supertwins, 5th in f40& mwss, 6th hwss
2010 CCS
NJMP
F40 1st, Supertwins 2nd (2pts back)
Summit Point
F40 3rd, Supertwins 2nd, HWSS 5th
Atlantic Division
F40 1st, Supertwins 2nd
Mid Atlantic
F40 1st, Supertwins 1st, HWSS 2nd
South East
F40 2nd (3pts back), Supertwins 3rd, HWSS 4th

·
Registered
516 Posts
Congrats...

Not only did you do well, but you actually are ABLE to go and do a race every weekend. That part makes me more envious than the results. :notworthy

Best wishes to you and let us know your thoughts on the RC vs. 848. Obviously different beasts with 10 years of tech difference, but you would know.
What tires did you use and why? Best / worst?

Best wishes for next year!!!:clapper

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Rightous Doug! wish I lived closer, so we could all do a track day, maybe we should all plan to meet up for a Zilla track day for next year?...

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Congrats! Keep at it! :notworthy

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best wishes to you and let us know your thoughts on the RC vs. 848. Obviously different beasts with 10 years of tech difference, but you would know.
What tires did you use and why? Best / worst?

Best wishes for next year!!!:clapper
ran pirelli dragon sc's most of the season then switched to diablo sc's and slicks the last 3 rounds. have done about 300 street mi on the rc51 in the last couple months after sitting for a year so really cant compare the 2 any more.
wrote this last season after first weekend on the 848.

saturday. the good
the 848 has fantastic brakes, easy pull with 1 finger with strong initial bite and great feel. riding position seat to bars had more room and better wind protection. feels smaller because of the skinny tank. felt vary planted in the turns. the bad :(: front suspension stock setting suck big time, very soft. at the end of the straight 140mph hard on the binders it would dive and not work on the roller bumps. could feel the rear end moving around and skipping along the ground. flicking the bike right to left felt slow, really had to push alot on the bars. seems to be very thirsty i went thru 7gal in 140mi. that may be because of being wide open more. needs a sprocket change. was getting between gears a couple places.

got back to NJMP lightning yesterday and had a blast with the bike. was much more comfortable on it, rear link didnt show up so didnt touch the suspension accept a couple turns on the front preload. did get down so i was running about 1.5-2 seconds a lap faster then the RC at a comfortable pace. was nice to be able to run down and pass 600's without too much trouble. was even able to keep some 1000's close. starting to come around that the duc is better as it should be the real test in a couple weeks with its first race. the front end is still way too soft and will really show on a rougher track. as with earlier rides the front end is basically bottomed out slowing down from 150+ making sure to push back in he seat was still hanging the rear tire in the air a few times

got heavier fork springs mid season last year and it helped alot. last winter had racetech revalve and put a softer spring in the shock. really balanced the bike as the front was too soft and rear too hard. last season got alot of wheel spin and rear end movement, slip/grip/slip/grip coming out of corners. with just a little work the bike is fast and stable. flicks side to side and really does anything i ask from it.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
last season got alot of wheel spin and rear end movement, slip/grip/slip/grip coming out of corners. with just a little work the bike is fast and stable. flicks side to side and really does anything i ask from it.
Have you considered dropping the front an additional 5-8mm (after installing stiffer front springs) and running a 190/55 on the rear? Bye bye rear slides hello stability! (perhaps lowering the front will make up for the slower steering 190 but at least you'll have a larger contact patch back there)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lowering the front on the newer ducs dont work. with stock triple clamps they tend to run wide on corner exit. you actually have to raise the front or lower the rear. its well sorted out this year, i hardly had to make any changes from track to track. the rear stock is the biggest issue. its rated for a 240-250lb rider. with the preload backed out all the way i was barely getting 20mm sag and 0 static sag. stock front was the opposite, 150lb rider weight spring

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Impressive resume man! Congratulations, and I do share the sentiment of being envious with others on the board that you are able to do a full race season.

I have to admit that doing track days and watching the A group guys fly is really impressive. So easy to critique riders even in MotoGP from behind a computer screen, but it takes a lot of skill to go real fast, and I take my hat off to you and the other racers! :notworthy

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
lowering the front on the newer ducs dont work. with stock triple clamps they tend to run wide on corner exit. you actually have to raise the front or lower the rear. its well sorted out this year, i hardly had to make any changes from track to track. the rear stock is the biggest issue. its rated for a 240-250lb rider. with the preload backed out all the way i was barely getting 20mm sag and 0 static sag. stock front was the opposite, 150lb rider weight spring
Ah! Good info. I ran aftermarket clamps on my 999 back in the day so I guess that's why I was able to get away with it. Seems like Ducs in stock trim still suffer from understeer.

Either way, you had an awesome season.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
was a long season for sure and glad its done though trying to sneak in a couple track days. 7 months, 11 race weekends, 1800 track miles & who knows how many miles on my truck. have to commit to it that much chasing championships. did 1 track day for setting up the bike begining of the season the rest were friday practice to learn new tracks. never really got out and rode with friends for fun this year. next season will be more for fun as an expert since im pretty sure theres a small chance of winning races cause them guys up front are stupid fast. f40 and supertwins will probably have a shot at 5th place range, maybe a podium. want to have some more fun and actually have a vacation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts