Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me give credit to LKHanberg and his very nice installation of a Clear Alternatives CBR954RR integrated taillight for the inspiration:
Before I get into my project, here's the link to the taillightI decided I wanted to keep as much of the stock undertail as possible since it has the battery box etc. Also after I got my taillight I discovered that the brightness of the tailight would be less if installed at the same angle of the undertail slope. The Clear Alternatives LEDs are REALLY bright, but LED's seem to be more directional and I found that the maximum brightness was acheived at the angle I mounted it at. The rear tail of the CBR954RR is at a steeper angle, thus my tailight need to be also.

My basic steps are as follows:

1) Hack off the back end of the undertail with a hacksaw blade.

2) Fabricate a tailight/license plate bracket out of .050 sheet and other scrap aluminum.

3) Fabricate a filler piece out of .050 aluminum to cover the area around the taillight and also cover the opening of the seat fairing.

4) Pop rivet the bracket assembly to the undertail.

5) Glue the filler piece and taillight into position using SEM 68422 plastic bumper repair used on cars. It sticks great to ABS plastic and everything else.

6) Do some minor filling/contouring with bondo.

7) Paint it with Rust-oleum #248656 black undercoating
RustOleum.com

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
WOW, just wow!

Those are some impressive fabrication skills, looks great and its super functional. Are the turn signals integrated into the clear alternatives taillight?

Stunna

·
Silverback
307 Posts
You're very talented and that's some great work, but with skills like yours, why not get a more flush with the bottom of the tail look? For me it makes the lines of the bike flow and shows how sexy the tail actually is, w/o a fetus growing out it's ass.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW, just wow!

Those are some impressive fabrication skills, looks great and its super functional. Are the turn signals integrated into the clear alternatives taillight?

Stunna
Yeh, I can make stuff look nice, but I REALLY wish I could ride these things like you guys do! I'm a longtime motocross/offroad racer since a kid, so any time I get leaned over much, my brain is trained to expect sliding. And from what I've seen in video, there isn't a whole lot of sliding on pavement that doesn't result in highsides/bent metal / broken bones. I didn't start riding the street until well into my 30's so I never got to enjoy a streetbike or see what was possible during my stupid years. Obviously I think a well taught course at a track would do me good. After I get this thing back together I certainly will have the bike for it.

Anyway, here's some pics of the lights. Also I just youtubed a video of the thing in action. Of course digital cameras don't really show how bright the light is, but it seems to be made of the same LED elements that is in all those bright truck and bus lights that are on the road nowadays.

YouTube - Clear Alternatives Integrated Taillight RC51

You're very talented and that's some great work, but with skills like yours, why not get a more flush with the bottom of the tail look? For me it makes the lines of the bike flow and shows how sexy the tail actually is, w/o a fetus growing out it's ass.
Like I mentioned at the top of my post above, if the tailight is put in flush at the same angle of the bottom as you suggest, then the LEDs seem to be aimed low and aren't quite as visible from behind at car/truck driver eye height.

I won't ask how you know what a fetus growing out of an ass looks like! :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good man. Can you remove the light from the fender?
If I was going to replace the light and not worry about destroying it on the way out, I could easily cut it loose with a dremel or roto zip with a small bit and reglue its replacement in if I had to. I figured the LED's are supposed to last thousands of hours so it was probably not a problem.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Fabulous Work....Im sure you could easily sell a bunch of these things :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can't leave well enough alone

The more I thought about running without dedicated turn signals the less I liked it. I didn't want to have the brake light be anything but just that.

I found these LED turn signals on ebay with potential:

But when I got them, the lenses were totally clear plastic and the LED's were soldered on a WHITE pcboard. When I held them up to the rest of the tail, they stuck out like little white snowballs.

So I hacked them apart with a dremel cutoff wheel and cut them to fit up into part of the undertail.

I then tinted the lenses darker. I remembered a trick I used as a kid to tint model airplane canopies: put some black Rit clothing dye into almost boiling water and then let the lens soak in it for a few minutes. Worked great, although I wish the lenses were a little thicker. That way they would have soaked up more dye and been a little darker. They are slightly lighter in tint than the taillight.

To darken the area around the LEDs I used a syringe and some fine tubing to flood black paint all around the base of the LED's on the pc board.

There was no room inside the undertail to use the plastic nuts to hold the signals in so I glued them into the undertail. I then masked everything off again and shot it with the rustoleum undercoating. This worked better because I was able to make them look like they were molded into the undertail.

I used the correct connectors from EasternBeaver so the signals plug into the stock wiring harness. 050 Connectors. I was careful to make sure I got the wires correct because LEDs will only light up with proper polarity. I also installed a new two-pole solid state flasher unit to handle the LED's from Motorcycle Trick Flasher Relay it plugged right in and works great.

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
Why didn't you leave the taillight set-up the way you had it before, Basically using both Signals that you have available?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why didn't you leave the taillight set-up the way you had it before, Basically using both Signals that you have available?
When the turn signal was operating, it would take over half the brake light. I wanted a full dedicated brake light for the better visibility and dedicated turn signals to reduce possible hassle by law enforcement.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts