Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Don't know if it can be of any help to you but I had similar issues with my bike. I had the rear jacked up by roughly 9mm (the WP unit is 5mm longer than OE, plus I increased rear ride height by another 4mm) and I had dropped the forks through the bars by about 5mm (cannot remember the exact value).
The bike was really "jumpy" and understeered a lot, especially on understeer-prone Michelin Pilot Power 2CT.
First thing I did was taking back the the front back to stock. It helped a lot, but the problem was finally solved when I found a pristine Ohlins shock in the local classified at a great price. I setted up the Ohlins to give me just 4-5mm ride height over stock and, pronto!, the bike started to behave as I wanted.
I am not an aggressive rider and I prefer a touch more stability... :eek:

I also seem to recall the Penske shock is considerably longer than OE so it maybe worth taking it off and measuring exactly how much ride height it adds by itself before deciding which shims to use at the rear.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
The main reason I shifted to Ohlins is not because the WP was "crap". Far from it. I've always been very happy with both WP and Ohlins shocks.
The reason is the WP was giving up the ghost. When it was opened during the final overhaul it was found to have lots of corrosion on the inside, the ring was pretty banged up and the cylinder lining was heavily pitted. :eek:
The rebound damping needle was almost unrecognizable due to corrosion.
Since it didn't leak I can only suppose the previous owner had it overhauled by someone who used contaminated fluid.
Sadly I didn't take any pictures but it was a pretty sad sight. :(

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Think about last year in World Superbike. Johnny Rea was a backmarker for the first half of the season and the all of the sudden he was a contender for the win always up front. Do you know what the team changed? They went from WP to Ohlins fact!
I am not Rea. For me both are good enough. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.