Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: My interpretation of the ultimate street Hawk (jhord)

Hey, what are you doing about a tail light? I'm thinking of going the Hiperform route as well. By the way, how was installation?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: My interpretation of the ultimate street Hawk (aces anugal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aces anugal »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Hey, what are you doing about a tail light? I'm thinking of going the Hiperform route as well. By the way, how was installation?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks guys. I'll try to get some pics posted of the tail light setup. I am using small LED strips for brake/tail, I can't recall the brand right now. They are very visible! The Hiperform installed easily, just bolts on, but I tig-welded on a few brackets to hold the fuel pump and battery. A YTX7 battery fits between the rails of the subframe nicely, can't even see it. The seat is a light ply base that I had a local upholstery shop foam and cover, it has tee nuts inside with bolts coming up from the bottom thru the subframe into the seat, which sandwhiches the tail section to the subframe. Biggest thing was creating a wire harness, it is very minimal with just the basic functions. Enough to keep me out of trouble with the law I hope.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: My interpretation of the ultimate street Hawk (jhord)

Show me picture of the tail light. Please. Damn, that bike looks killer! I honestly think it's the best looking so far. It embodies the original concept and look of the Hawk - but more modern.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: My interpretation of the ultimate street Hawk (aces anugal)

Here's a pic:

If you go to the picture gallery on my site it has a few more pics and comments.

Thanks again. I was trying for a certain look, I wanted the rear end to be all about the rear wheel and nothing else. I also wanted a very rakish angle to the whole thing, a raptor feel and look. The 600RR fairing seemed to fit the bill.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you make the subframe yourself? If so, would you be willing to make another? It looks absolutely perfect!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Devaclis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Devaclis »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you make the subframe yourself? If so, would you be willing to make another? It looks absolutely perfect!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, it is a Hiperform.com subframe. I could never make anything that nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (jhord)

Looks great. Way to show off that single sided mojo.

Tell us about the exhaust.

-Waldo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (dwaldman)

The exhaust was pretty simple, I took my complete M4 system, ditched the midpipe, and shortened the muffler. I had a local muffler shop expand the muffler inlet to fit over the collector outlet and voila. I haven't had it on the dyno yet, so I'm unsure what this did to power. It was definitely a form over function thing so I'll have to live with any negative results. Feels like normal on the road however.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If ya don't mind me asking, what year is that tail? I like the looks of the 2003 but I am bumbfounded as to how I could get it to work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (jhord)

Agggghhh - everytime I see something like this it makes me miss my Hawk more and more. Nice work JD, I drooled over the Hiperform stuff for ages but then just sold the Hawk.

(Thanks for the RC51 engine building advice the other day too - yeah, that was me.
) The Duc idea is out the window for now. I can take a small fraction of what I would spend, put it into the RC, and be making 135+HP easy - and racing int he same class as a 110HP bike. Power ain't everything, but it sure is nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's a couple of more detailed questions (I have a friend trying to dump a Hawk (wife mandate) so I may have another one.

What kind of front end is that? Fairing stay for the 600rr piece? An since you have Rod's subframe and tail - what do you think about using a cored, stock ducati silencer with his exhaust? It will be for a street bike (that would have a 100% chance of seeing the track) so ideal power isn't an issue, I just think it would look better. Not a fan of the megaphone.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts