Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something made me Wiki Anthony Gobert today. This old news was entered under the brief info about him:

"According to reports in the Courier Mail, the 33-year-old Gobert was charged with two counts of stealing after taking two $20 bills from the hand of the 70-year-old man at a Coles supermarket in Surfers Paradise on Tuesday, May 13, 2008. The following day, he allegedly snatched a woman's purse on the streets of Surfers, according to the newspaper report."

If true, this may represent rock bottom for someone who had it all...several times...and threw it all away...several times.

Sad indeed. On a good day, with even a halfway decent bike, the "Go Show" could bring it to anybody. I always thought his golden days were with Rob Muzzy and the Kawasaki. I remember shaking my head in disbelief when he was kicked off the Suzuki GP 500 team back in the days when they had a competitive bike. I also remember what he did on the Bimota in the rain during the World Superbike race at Phillip Island...an astounding effort. I hope and pray that he gets himself straightened out before it is really too late. :(

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
That was a couple of years ago. There was a thread about it. I have no idea where he is today.

·
Munky
532 Posts
I met him in 2002 @VIR. He didn't grab my wallet, but grabbed my 3 year old and let him sit on a OWO2!

Ian

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Go Show!

Yeah...I think that happened awhile back, but nevertheless it sucks. Met him at Mid Ohio, back in the day....he was cool.....red hair and all. That weekend also, he was getting into trouble for riding his mountain bike in the pits and camp area....wtf!

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
I believe Gobutts would have been World Champion in 95 and 96 if Team
Castrol Honda would have sign him to a WSBK contract after firing Doug Polen...

After all in 1994 Anthony got access to the new RC45 Honda which he used
to great effect by beating Marty Craggill and Mat Mladin to the 1994
Australian Superbike Championship...

Australian Superbike Championship (750cc / 998)
1999 Steve Martin Ducati 996RS
1998 Martin Craggill Kawasaki ZX-7RR
1997 Martin Craggill Kawasaki ZX-7RR
1996 Peter Goddard Suzuki GSX-R750
1995 Kirk McCarthy Honda RC45
1994 Anthony Gobert Honda RC45
1993 Troy Corser Honda RC30
1992 Mat Mladin Kawasaki ZXR750R
1991 Aaron Slight Kawasaki ZXR750R
1990 Malcolm Campbell Honda RC30
1989 Malcolm Campbell Honda RC30
1988 Rob Phillis Kawasaki GPX750R*

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
lately, from what ive read, he has been competing in some local clubs and mostly super motard...... in between grocery store heists.

·
2,737 Posts
Thanks Thompson. I almost spit water.
Of course I had to declick and reclick Fester to see the expected response.

·
Thud
1,436 Posts
I still have an autographed poster of his on my garage wall. The man had Rossi-level talent but zero work ethic. :banghead

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
If he is spotted riding around on an RC45 we'll know he's really lost the script.... lol

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
He's currently living in a van down by the river :D
Classic! :clapper

First person I thought of was the Go Show when I saw the headline. Only bright light in the whoel thing is it was 2 yrs ago. Hopefully he's been able to etch out a good life for himself. IMO, that isn't rock bottom BTW - that's just media hype rock bottom.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
When I read the title of the thread, I assumed the subject was Ducati or obama.................:woot:

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Lighten up Francis, just callin' 'em as I see 'em...............

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

1 - 20 of 20 Posts