Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first track day with BCM back in April, and man did I have a great time. Words cannot describe the feeling.

But here's an issue: Riding on the street, even twisty backroads, has COMPLETELY lost any lustre that it once had. It feels old. I feel like I'm underusing the bike. I feel like I'm just wearing out the parts and shortening the time between now and when I get my next service.

I feel like I should be saving my clutch for the next track day.

I actually stayed home over Memorial Day weekend and painted the apartment (three sunny days back to back!). This, my friends, is wrong.

Am I going to get over this???

Help me, Obie Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!!

-Joe Grant
NYC, NY

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: My first track day has screwed my street riding... (JAGrantJr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JAGrantJr »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup. Just as soon as you hit the next track day.

There is no hope for you now.

You're in, and there is no way out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: My first track day has screwed my street riding... (JamesP)

I'm with you all the way.

The track has not only made me a better rider, it has also calmed me down a lot on the street. I don't need to go out and terrorize everyone anymore.

I see a bunch of these guys riding in these clubs and they all "think" they are fast. And I used to "think" I was fast too. I used to think I was the best thing to ever happen to this sport. Then I met the track. And it was like looking in the mirror.

Now, all I can think of is the track. In fact, I feel that everytime I get on my bike (999) that I need to be knee down, otherwise, it was a waste of time. I might as well be on a standard bike or a tourer when riding on the street.

The track has made me so much more realistic. And, I'm less critical of bikes. I'll look at a bike like the Triumph 955i and appreciate it for what it is..... A good street bike. But me a couple years ago would have been like...... That pig of a triumph.... The gixxer's faster.

Long story short, I've actually lost all desire to ride my 999 on the street. I'd rather save my precious tire mileage for the track. That Speed Triple is starting to look more and more appealing these days for street riding and commuting.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My only question is why did you paint when you could have had 2 AWESOME days at Mosport (near Toronto) with the Ducati Owner's Club of Canada for less than $240???

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JAGrantJr »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, your screwed

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: My first track day has screwed my street riding... (section8superbike)

Someone once posted that track riding makes a heroine addiction seem like a slight craving for something salty...

You'll save money by not paying insurance & registration or replacing tires because of nails.... Just don't think about the cost side....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: My first track day has screwed my street riding... (hank)

I used to have a big gambling and stipper problem.

I now have a big racing problem.

Which is worst?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: My first track day has screwed my street riding... (Turbo329)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo329 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm with you all the way...Long story short, I've actually lost all desire to ride my 999 on the street. I'd rather save my precious tire mileage for the track...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Took the words right out of my mouth

-Tifosi

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its only been a week since my last track day and I'm already getting short with people. Anybody here do back to back trackdays over the weekend? How about one on Saturday and another on the following Monday with a different bike?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JAGrantJr »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Am I going to get over this???
Help me, Obie Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look at it this way.... if you get the chance to "boink" a hot 18 year old... are you never going to "boink" again unless it's with another hot 18 year old....?

I didn't think so......

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: My first track day has screwed my street riding... (Mental998)

Boinking an 18 year old is not as much fun as a day @ the track- she couldn't possibly know enough.

Modified by socal at 8:22 PM 5/31/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JAGrantJr »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Am I going to get over this??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you're doomed to spend exponentially more money every year feeding your habit - more bikes, more gear, tires and tires and more tires, track days and schools. You'll go racing and blow every cent of disposable income you have, you'll max out your credit cards, you'll loose interest in sex and food, your hair will fall out from getting rubbed in your helmet, you'll walk like an orangutan with bowed legs from riding hunched over all the time, your hands will become permanently numb, and your right forearm will swell to twice it's normal size from heavy braking. Enjoy.

Seriously, I had the same feeling after my first track day but I did get over it, and I still really enjoy weekend canyon carving. I just approach it differently than I used to - I enjoy the flow and the zen aspects of it, and I don't care that I'm not going nearly as fast as I could if I wanted to. It's just a different mindset, and doing track days helps you appreciate the differences.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Joe:

You do know that BCM/DESMO has a dedicated trackday in August, right? There's also Tony's trackday the following day also at NHIS.

However, you may also want to try VIR-north. My new favorite track!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: My first track day has screwed my street riding... (edwyun)

You'll get realllllly into it for a year or two or maybe even three. Then one day you'll add it all up and go whoa!
The high youre getting now is great but eventually it becomes more of an excercise and less euphoric.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: My first track day has screwed my street riding... (socal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by socal »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Boinking an 18 year old is not as much fun as a day @ the track- she couldn't possibly know enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: My first track day has screwed my street riding... (Mental998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hubert »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll get realllllly into it for a year or two or maybe even three. Then one day you'll add it all up and go whoa!
The high youre getting now is great but eventually it becomes more of an excercise and less euphoric.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Buzz killer..............
Into my second year. Done about 12 trackdays total, cannot imagine the cash I have dropped on it. Had a ton of fun. No longer ride my bike on the street. Starting to look back into the street side again now but damn that cuts into the track fund. Just live life going from one track day to the next just hoping one day I can afford both but still the track wins out for me right now. I guess I will be one of those three year guys you are refering to before I "get over it". I am to damn fugly to get hooked on 18 year olds..........Thank God.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: My first track day has screwed my street riding... (hubert)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hubert »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll get realllllly into it for a year or two or maybe even three. Then one day you'll add it all up and go whoa!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Funny you would say this, back in the late 70s I took up racing motocross and became COMPLETELY consumed. I raced 36 weekends out of 52, raced on Easter and mothers day, any Sunday was race day. At first I wouldn't sleep three hours a night before a race, but as time went on it became less exciting and more of a routine. I wanted to do better and so I practiced more got to the point that I was doing well and competed in some semi-pro events and did well. At that point I was at it seven days a week between riding, wrenching, and racing. All the hard work was paying off until one Sunday after the first moto I asked my buddy Winkler, "hey, are you having fun? I got into this cause it was fun and this feels more like a job" he said no and we packed up and left. I put the bike in the garage and didn't ride it again for two months. I guess the message through my drawn out story is moderation is best, enjoy it all for what its worth. I have way more fun on the track than the street, but Jeff Koch is on the money here.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: My first track day has screwed my street riding... (JeffKoch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeffKoch »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Seriously, I had the same feeling after my first track day but I did get over it, and I still really enjoy weekend canyon carving. I just approach it differently than I used to - I enjoy the flow and the zen aspects of it, and I don't care that I'm not going nearly as fast as I could if I wanted to. It's just a different mindset, and doing track days helps you appreciate the differences.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed. I'll drink to that, although, ain't any canyon roads in S FLA

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: My first track day has screwed my street riding... (Chief748)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chief748 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Agreed. I'll drink to that, although, ain't any canyon roads in S FLA
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No shit, I keep looking for canyons between the corn fields too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: My first track day has screwed my street riding... (Phil 998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phil 998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Funny you would say this, back in the late 70s I took up racing motocross and became COMPLETELY consumed. I raced 36 weekends out of 52, raced on Easter and mothers day, any Sunday was race day. At first I wouldn't sleep three hours a night before a race, but as time went on it became less exciting and more of a routine. I wanted to do better and so I practiced more got to the point that I was doing well and competed in some semi-pro events and did well. At that point I was at it seven days a week between riding, wrenching, and racing. All the hard work was paying off until one Sunday after the first moto I asked my buddy Winkler, "hey, are you having fun? I got into this cause it was fun and this feels more like a job" he said no and we packed up and left. I put the bike in the garage and didn't ride it again for two months. I guess the message through my drawn out story is moderation is best, enjoy it all for what its worth. I have way more fun on the track than the street, but Jeff Koch is on the money here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did time trials (in a car) for about 3 years, one or two events per month, started instructing (bumped to 3 events / month) and was , seemingly, at the track all the time, or preparing for the track, or hurrying around to get the car ready, or blowing a wad b/c I was buying parts at the last minute, etc.
And it became exactly what you said ... a job.
I've taken a long step back and I don't miss it but have supplemented my 4 wheeled track habit with a 2 wheeled one.
That said, I know myself better to attend only if it sounds fun , otherwise there's no point.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts