Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ducatilicious
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I gotta say is yee-friggen-haw!

Did the dirt bike thing as a kid and grew into doing trackdays on my superbike, and yesterday I had a chance to ride KTM's SM450 and SM560 at MISUPERMOTO, they along with KTM hosted a KTM demo day. Now I know what all the excitement is about.

A few Pics,

I'm on #560 :rockon

http://ducsunlimited.com/gallery/20051015KTMSuperMotoDay/0007_G_001

http://ducsunlimited.com/gallery/20051015KTMSuperMotoDay/0006_G_001

http://ducsunlimited.com/gallery/20051015KTMSuperMotoDay/0002_G_001

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got to ride the new '06 KTM SMRs at Reno for quite a bit, about 45 min on a tight kart track Friday and then another 45 min on the National track Saturday. I must say I reallllly like that new 560. After riding the 450 and 560 back to back on both tracks I don't know who would want the 450. Besides having a lot more power, the 560 is actually easier to ride (especially in no traction dirt) because the power is so incredibly smooth and linear.

KTM has really done an excellent job of refining these bikes over the past few years. The brakes, suspension, motor, clutch.... everything just works so seamlessly together. :clapper

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
aces anugal said:
I have just put about 1000 miles on my DRZ400SM in the month that I've owned it. I've put 50 on my RC51 in the same month.
Pretty close to the same for me and the Husky.

The FZ1 isn't getting much love lately. It feels like such a pig when I do ride it.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I finally sold my Super Hawk. After a year with the KTM, the 'Hawk only got about 250 miles on it, so I decided it was time to let it go.

·
Registered
314 Posts
aces anugal said:
I have just put about 1000 miles on my DRZ400SM in the month that I've owned it. I've put 50 on my RC51 in the same month.
My 9R has been all but ignored this summer. The most amount of use it got this summer was when my brother came to town bikeless.

·
Ducatilicious
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I'm afraid of, though most of the street riding that I do in Metro Detroit isn't SM friendly. (lots of freeway riding in between decent spots). But I suppose if I got one my "spots" would change... and SM trackdays are only $30 for the day.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dave said:
Pretty close to the same for me and the Husky.

The FZ1 isn't getting much love lately. It feels like such a pig when I do ride it.
A buddy of mine has FZ1 and just bought a Duke recently....FZ1 is for sale...

·
Registered
22 Posts
toxic said:
When you crash that Duc......you cry.
Very hard!:eek:

There are different SM's for different needs. An lc4 makes a great street tard that can handle the freeway but the RFS motored bikes are built for the track! Keep the Duc for street and get a 450/525/560smr for the track!

You know you want to!:rolleyes:

·
Ducatilicious
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
toxic said:
And when you crash, you get back up and keep riding.

When you crash that Duc......you cry.
Tell me about it... I just wadded my 996 at a trackday, the way it looks now, I'll keep my M900 for the street, keep my 996 in track trim and possibly look for a used SM already set up to go.

·
Ducatilicious
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know, I rode a Honda CRF 450 and that was nice but it was set up for the dirt. I don't think I would enjoy anything with less power than a 450 as I'm used to 100+Bhp on the street. If I did take the plunge, I don't think I could spend more than 5K and I'm not even sure what I can get for that. I'm still in the thinking I really want to do it stage...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts