Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, well I've not been having a ton of luck with the boys RS of late- He low-sided two races back; bike was rebuilt, then he banged it down 3 gears and dropped the clutch at a training day the following weekend- the ensuing high-side was quite remarkable; he re-entered Earths atmosphere about three hours later. Repaired again. The next weekend the motor blew up at Calabogie on the first lap of the first session. Motor rebuilt and installed for his next race where it promptly shut down due to an electrical gremlin (which we've yet to find:confused:). So, because he's been a little bummed out, I got him his 12th birthday present a little early. I thought he like the RS, but with this bad-boy under his 100lb. frame he's uncatchable. Dyno'd at Loudon at 122rwhp!:rockon The deal is he trains on the RS in the mornings and plays on this in the afternoons.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I've waited my whole life for a day like this. Sad to say my 8 year old daughter loves barbie, icarly, little fuzzy animals and ballet.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Very Awesome DAD!
That bike has to some some serious work done to be putting them numbers down...

I am hoping i can get my daughter into the bike thing, as my wife has her all into horses and well being only 3 years old she has a pony already..:banghead

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
believe me guys, I feel your pain- I just got back from my 9 yr. old daughter's first horse show. She took a 5th and a 3rd. What my son's passion doesn't tear off my paycheque, my daughters passion shears- hell my wife and I are living on the residue! It's the kids though, you do anything for them. Don't sweat the icarley, the boy watches it too, although I suspect for different reasons than my daughter;)

Oh, for the gear-heads, here's the spec's:
JE Pistons 636cc w/ new rings and wrist pins across all cylinders
- Stock head, degree'd cams, all new bearings, seals, shift forks, etc.
Brand New APE cam gears, chain tensioner
Full Bazzaz Autotune ECU with quick shifter, traction control and handlebar mount TC and fuel map switch.
BDK light weight stator/flywheel
Yoyodyne slipper clutch
BMC air filter
Factory Pro Velocity stacks
LeoVince exhaust (ceramic coated)
Ohlins 25MM fork cartridges (worked valving)
Ohlins TTX rear shock
GPR damper
Woodcraft rear sets
Woodcraft clip ons
Woodcraft stator cover
Woodcraft clutch case protector
HRC 1/6 throttle
Sharkskinz bodywork
Yoyodyne upper stay
CRG clutch lever
Goodridge brake lines F/R
Vesrah Super RJL pads
Lighttech 1/4 turn gas cap

·
Registered
806 Posts
Very nice list of goodies, and 636 is a damn good number just like my ZX6R.
i could not imagine being his weight and riding a bike set up with them goodies, kinda like riding a WSBK i guess for someone of my weight.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Congratulations to your boy and well done Dad! How long has he been riding?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Great job . Just a suggestion , don't let him get dependent on TC before he developes that elusive "feel" for what the bike is doing .:clapper

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great job . Just a suggestion , don't let him get dependent on TC before he developes that elusive "feel" for what the bike is doing .:clapper
I agree completely- so does his coach who along with being a former pro superbike racer, is a current pro supermoto racer. He said to start with the TC at baseline and slowly dial it right out so Eden can really feel what the bike is telling him. We're also swapping out the 9.5 springs in the front for 7.5's and the 9 in the back for an 8, then dropping the front 10mm in the tree so its a little easier for him to drop it into the corners. There are different schools of thought on training- some say to have the boy train entirely on the machine he will be racing while others say to have him ride a variety of bikes to get the feel for different situations. His coach- being a current Supermoto guy is of that opinion as am I. "Put him on anything and everything from mini- motos to iceracers to flattrackers to literbikes. He'll have so many tools in the shed to call on that the other racers won't know what to do!"
At the moment he races in Canada and the US on a Factory supplied 40cc 3-port Production BMS mini-moto, a 2004 Honda NSR50R, a 2007 Honda RS125 and this new toy, the 2007 Honda CBR600RR. His 2010 schedule has him on the track 45 days.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congratulations to your boy and well done Dad! How long has he been riding?
Some of the fella's on this forum have been watching his development for a few years now. I'm watching the 'which bike for my young kid' thread with interest as the kids are similar in age to when Eden started.
We got him trail riding at 4 on a PW50, which he found boring very quickly. We moved to a Honda XR50 with the 3-speed semi-automatic tranny (just my thoughts but if you can, get the kids into the mindset of gears early). He raced that at 4 and a little at 5 then to a KTM KX65- that he REALLY liked and won a lot of races- he also got hurt- A LOT!. HE had kids jumping and landing on top of him during races. My wife and I had to put a stop to that. We bought him one of those Chinese Pocket bikes for his 8th birthday and luckily there was a league locally that raced them. His first winter he took 5th place in the stock class and a local shop[ asked if he would ride one of their 'built' bikes for the summer season. We signed on and he took the super-proddy championship on that bike. We solicited internationally for a Euro factory that would sponsor him for his next season and BMS France signed him on to race their Factory 3-port machine; 14hp and 50lbs! He won the Canadian Nationals in the 9-12 age range at 9. We then bought him the NSR. HE raced that last year in the US and won a bunch of titles in the leauge he raced in- novice of the year, 1st place F3 class Novice, 2nd place F2 class novice, Overall points Champ, Novice, Most improved Rider. Along with that, he trained on an 07 RS125 we bought him in the fall of the previous year. So at 10, he was racing mini's, The NSR50 and training on the RS125. With his resume he was granted an early race licence to race the RS here in Canada (here you need to be 12 to get a race licence). They do not have a 2-stroke class for him to race in so he races in light-wieght twins and h/w twins against SV's and Duc's/ Bimmers.
THe heavywieghts are hard for him to catch but he is currently in 2nd place in the l/w twins class. He'll be twelve at the end of this month and had his first race on the CBR two weeks back. He started dead last on the grid and finished two places ahead of where he started- funny thing was all eyes were on him. Its a little tough for him to get on the bike but once on he seems pretty comfortable.
So in synopsis, he started at 4, and is 11 going on twelve now- so about 8 years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts