Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latest issue of MCN named the SP1 and SP2 the bike of the decade and the Imola race between Edwards and Bayliss the race of the decade........SMART GUYS those Limeys! :D

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Simply awesome and totally justified of course !! The bike has won EVERY single championship contended , is as reliable as an atomic clock , and is available to the enthusiast for relatively little cash . Mind you , a pair of Ti rods would have made it much more expensive and exclusive , but maybe that's not a good thing .:rockon

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Simply awesome and totally justified of course !! The bike has won EVERY single championship contended
Quite an improvement over the flop that was its predecessor (talk about a big fat helping of humble pie that was for HRC, lol). Apparently you can pick up the latter pretty cheap in Mexico, however.... :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quite an improvement over the flop that was its predecessor (talk about a big fat helping of humble pie that was for HRC, lol). Apparently you can pick up the latter pretty cheap in Mexico, however.... :D
.......and if you can't afford the low prices of a SP1/SP2 you can pick up the "touring" firestorm version they're a dime a dozen anywhere.....but why would ya!!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I always liked the 05/06 version in black/charcoal. It was just a mean looking bike. Throw a set of sato slip ons on that thing and the sound matched the look.......Great bike--twins rule!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Simply awesome and totally justified of course !! The bike has won EVERY single championship contended , is as reliable as an atomic clock , and is available to the enthusiast for relatively little cash . Mind you , a pair of Ti rods would have made it much more expensive and exclusive , but maybe that's not a good thing .:rockon
+10000

:rockon:rockon:rockon:rockon:rockon

·
Registered
358 Posts
Having ridden both extensively, It's a no brainer what I'd rather own:notworthy

My older bro's RC51, my 45.

back to back the 45 is much better than his 51, in comparison the 51 has no bottom end grunt, nice mid range and no top end. I'm sure this is going to ruffle some feathers, but those are the facts, If you have ridden BOTH, I'd be interested to hear what you think, if you haven't I'll ignore your comments:banghead

(note the extra ride height in the rear of the 45, a simple mod that transforms the handling)

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 45 and 51 are completely different animals, IMHO. The 45 really needs the HRC stuff to "come alive". The 51 is a better street bike in every respect, and is a good value. I prefer the 51 as a motorcycle and the 45 as an icon.

The real burning question is: What would a 2010 SP-4 be like? There should be a 1200cc current version equivalent to 1198-spec. Hopefully, we'll get a VFR1000RR.

There really isn't much of a list of V4 or V2 sportbikes overall, past or present.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I recently watched the whole of that second Imola race back in '02 having only seen the highlights before and it blew me away. Edwards showed amazing strategy, resolve and bike skills to put it over Bayliss with the whole of the Ducati field working against him. The Honda works SP2 was magnificent too - a race bike doing exactly what it was designed to do and set up to perfection on the day. When push came to shove (and it did) Edwards was able to out power and out manoeuvre his opponent. Nice way for the Honda V2 World Superbike to hang up it's spurs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The 45 and 51 are completely different animals, IMHO. The 45 really needs the HRC stuff to "come alive". The 51 is a better street bike in every respect, and is a good value. I prefer the 51 as a motorcycle and the 45 as an icon.

Sure, I have ridden my bro's 51 many many times and it's a nice road bike. I have fitted the majority of the HRC engine kit to my 45(not as expensive as many claim) and definately gives it much more kick. Some very simple, cheap, quick mods alter the 45 like you wouldn't believe, for example fitting the kit shock linkage and a ride height adjuster transform the handling(I have an Ohlins superbike shock with Anders Anderson linkage fitted to mine). I guess because the 51 is way more common it just doesnt have that special feel about it.

I personally like the 51 very much and would love an SP-2.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
I've traded rides with a couple of buddies RC51... they both took off and
disappeared on Mr.RC45 while I labor in their dust on their RC51s... all I
could think about was how to drop weight... lighten the steering effort and
get some more weight on the front wheel... mercy Honda this ain't no
exotic!!!

RC51 466lbs dry
47% / 53% front to rear weight bias...
Front 221 lbs
Rear 245 lbs