Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
some member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had hoped to hear someone else's experience w this "titanium" slipper clutch. I saw someone asking about them around the time I acquired mine. I bought it unused from a gentleman in AZ thinking it might solve the problem created when the friction discs groove the basket. That is, when the engagement becomes erratic and the clutch begins to squawk. I did not care about what if any of it was Ti, or that it was a slipper though i thought the latter would be nice. What I saw as advantageous was that the basket had inserts in the driving tangs of the basket.
The newer style aluminum frictions fit tight while the steels fit the hub normally. I assumed a bit of severe usage would loosen the friction to basket clearances. I did not like the initial assy. as it squawked, and i notices no slipping, as well as incomplete, or slow disengagement, so I took it back apart and changed the spider spring pressure by rearranging things. ~1200 mi later I have it apart again for same reasons. Poor engagement, disengagement, and questionable slip.
Thought I may have had an issue w basket to hub and was hoping not to see metal shavings. No metal shavings, final adjustment still in spec, and discs probably still ok. The worst, or slightly odd wear was near the bottom of the stack near the single spring steel and it was there that I found the worst fitting frictions. A little hard to retrieve.
That may explain all issues it seems to me so I am debating how to rectify. i intend to see if the other frictions fit so tight that deep in the basket, and am going to ck the fit of some older steel based frictions. If I do not find a good fit (free to move), I may rplc the basket. More as I find it. Still would love to hear anyone else's experience w this German clutch. I will try now to post a few pictures, though looking back I see I documented the job w many. I am afraid my pics may be in too high a definition and am struggling w some new software I did not request from Mac. Some of you may be amused at what lengths I went to to cover this thing up w the stock steel cover. ( if I succeed at posting pics) Rad

Attachments

·
who's yo daddy?
757 Posts
I have no experience with your Ti basket, but Barnett makes an aluminum basket with steel inserts like this:
Amazon.com: Barnett Billet Clutch Basket - Black 321-25-01512: Automotive

I have used it racing with no issues

I have had aluminum plates that were a bit snug, one pass with a file on ea. tab usually does the trick [just enough to provide smooth clearance]

You need to ditch the steel cover, or shim it off the case about 3/16". It was never designed to house a slipper clutch [the pressure plate lifts when the slipper engages and comes up the ramps] there is no designed clearance in the stock cover.

I could be misreading your post, but just to clarify: you start with a friction when you build your stack. If you don't, the first time it [the slipper] engages the steel drive plate will drop behind the hub and lock your clutch out. Stack ht is critcal, and slippers can be finicky regarding engagement. You will have to play around with the spring plates until you get it to where it operates to your liking [ie: clutch judder on launch]

·
some member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slipper

Thanks Blade, I nailed it yesterday by taking the retainer ring off the face of the basket and freeing up the inserts, and rotating them slightly. They were amazingly canted just a bit and had not self righted though there is nothing really keeping them from self alignment other than friction from the tight fit. Anyway, then I reinstalled everything just as I had it. Final adjustment exactly as before. Now it works well in all regards. Engagement, disengagement, slips when provoked. I was finally getting used to the engine braking now that the motor is about half sacked out. Hope the loss of the engine braking does not get me in trouble. I had learned to be be very careful about gear selection, throttle modulation and clutch lever usage after almost swapping ends in a few corners.
I made the steel cover fit by leaving the stock gasket on it but you may see in my pics that I carved it up, as well as grinding the cover (to the point where all that was left in spots was the paint, still intact, hahaha) No, I like the complete cover. I had a carbon fiber ventilated cover that was given to me and i ran it for a few years. I loved the racket it made when I pulled up at lights, but got to thinking about how I normally avoid asbestos when I can and that thing was flinging off friction material all over. About like the brakes. I figure it is actually an aerosol of friction material. Also, the steel cover can withstand a pretty good hit. I would rather that paid for part get bashed than my clutch.
I went out and beat on it for maybe 20 miles and like it. Plan a more extensive test today.
Thanks again, and here are my pics of the repair process.

Attachments

·
who's yo daddy?
757 Posts
glad you got it sorted out. I'm surprised the inserts move so easily...seems like they'd be a p.i.t.a if they started banging into the basket tangs, loosened up their fit, and started falling out every time you pulled the plates.

I wouldn't put much faith in the strength of the steel cover, it's actually two thin pieces of stamped sheet metal pressed together, and will crush quite easily. I'd be surprised if the friction material were asbestos as opposed to some organic compound...but you could check w/manufacturer and find out. At any rate, in my opinion it's better to blow it out while you ride than deal with all of the dust whenever you pull the cover off. I'd look for a good machined billet aluminum piece, some are stronger w/less ventilation than the "showpiece" units.

·
some member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Blade, I ended up having to revisit the 996 clutch and give it some of your prescription. After a while it developed some feedback, and then got balky. I thought maybe my original slave cal might have finally warranted replacing, but it was the friction tangs of course. I assembled them in the old clutch, and then counted my file passes. Much better thanks.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.