Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using castrol r4 and want to switch. Should I use the 10-40 or 20-50 synthetic motorcycle oil. I live in wisconsin so temps range anywhere from 45-100degrees. In fact yesterday it was almost 100 here
Thanks for the advice in advance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (KevinTX)

that is good!! How much a quart??? The castrol R4 was running me $12 a quart.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (clarkandgrilli)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clarkandgrilli »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">castrol R4 was on sale at walmart today for $2.98 a quart. No Joke.</TD></TR></TABLE>Counterfeit red Chinese perhaps?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dumb question (just because I don't know). Is there anything special about the Mobil 1 15-50 everyone uses that I need to look for? Or just the stuff off the shelf I can get at Wal-Mart? (I thought it always had to be a bike-specific oil...)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (weasel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by weasel »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Counterfeit red Chinese perhaps?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL I saw Castrol SYNTEC at walmart. Brain must have taken a dump when I posted that

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (clarkandgrilli)

use the Mobil one MX4T 10w40... motorcycle specific oil...been using it and really like it.. 4000 between oil changes and it still looks good when its drained

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (rc51crazy)

I know not another oil thread but on another site I goto http://www.thumpertalk.com they have more oil threads than we have in our whole section of this site. People used to run the red cap mobil one and loved it from what I can tell. Now mobil one has since changed there line and I THINK that the mobil one gold cap 15w50 extended performance has been tested and actually would be better than the mobil one mx4t. Less moly and such.

Is anyone running this oil now in there bike?

Also I have read rave reviews of Rotella T synthetic 5w40 and now thats what I run in my yz426. Anyone use this oil in the RC? It 13.00 a gallon at the wallyworld here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (mulisha00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mulisha00 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I People used to run the red cap mobil one and loved it from what I can tell. . Less moly and such.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Motorcycle specific oil is a marketing tool, with no basis in science. Either it maintains shear strength under heat and pressure or it doesn't.

I've used both Castrol syntec and Mobil 1 red cap CAR OILS for over two years, with no clutch problems at all.

Frequency of changes it what's crucial ....3000 miles, tops.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Strangelove)

Dr. Strangelove I thought I noticed you over there at thumper. Its almost too much info over there because every 13 year old that watches his dad change his oil has a opinion filling it up with unproved knowledge. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Strangelove »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Motorcycle specific oil is a marketing tool, with no basis in science. Either it maintains shear strength under heat and pressure or it doesn't.

I've used both Castrol syntec and Mobil 1 red cap CAR OILS for over two years, with no clutch problems at all.

Frequency of changes it what's crucial ....3000 miles, tops.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is not true. The epa mandates certain qualifications for 'clean' oil in automotive (DOT) applications. Motorsycle specific oils do not have to meet this standard. I will try to locate the tests, which were linked through amsoil's web page that show a comparison in oils and explain this. Basically around 2000 the epa made some changes and all the automotive oils could no longer contain more than a certain amount of anti abrassives (the slick stuff). I cant remember the names of them right now, but there are two. Anyway, the test clearly states that Spectro Golden is THE BEST oil. In rank from there was regular Spectro and then amsoil, .... the bottom of the barrel was honda oil. Keep in mind this test did not cover all oils, ie Royal Purple, but it was interesting to say the least.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (lokar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lokar »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is not true. The epa mandates certain qualifications for 'clean' oil in automotive (DOT) applications. Motorsycle specific oils do not have to meet this standard. I will try to locate the tests, which were linked through amsoil's web page that show a comparison in oils and explain this. Basically around 2000 the epa made some changes and all the automotive oils could no longer contain more than a certain amount of anti abrassives (the slick stuff). I cant remember the names of them right now, but there are two. Anyway, the test clearly states that Spectro Golden is THE BEST oil. In rank from there was regular Spectro and then amsoil, .... the bottom of the barrel was honda oil. Keep in mind this test did not cover all oils, ie Royal Purple, but it was interesting to say the least.</TD></TR></TABLE>

..Check the DOT spec ring at the back of any bottle of motor oil. If it says 'Energy Saving' (or maybe 'energy conserving, I don't remember)...it has excessive friction abating agents (molybdenum, etc.)...

There was a test about a year ago in Motorcyclist debating motorcycle oils, and using chemical and engineering analysis from a non-sponsored laboratory. When comparing motorcycle specific oils to general use automotive oils, the conclusion was dubious at best. In point of fact, Honda HP4 'moly-free, motorcycle oil' had more molybdenum than even Mobil-1 car oil. Additionally, while some 'miracle motorcycle' oils had zero molybdenum, their viscosity retention and shear resisitance was greatly compromised after only a couple of hundred miles, thereby reducing their protective properties to less than cheap Walmart brand dino-oil. Also, whichever one had the purple color, the lab said it had nothing to do with peformance, but <U>marketing</U>.....people like pretty things....It turned brown within hours.

Until major differences and benefits are proven in a laboratory, I still contend Motorcycle oil is a waste of money for those who fall for advertisement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mulisha00 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dr. Strangelove I thought I noticed you over there at thumper. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not me. Never been to thumper.what is it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Honda recommends 10W40, SJ or SG, for the RC51s. I run the Rotella Synth. in our SuperDuty 7.3, and in my ST4s Duc. Not in the RC as it doesn't even have 5k miles on it. Shell has a "clean engine" formula, dyno oil, 10W40 that meets Honda standards, that I run in the '51. Change every couple thousand miles or every race weekend.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Strangelove »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not me. Never been to thumper.what is it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.thumpertalk.com/for...70138

You have a clone bitching about parking then.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mulisha00 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

http://www.thumpertalk.com/for...70138

You have a clone bitching about parking then.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jeeezus, that's creepy. Went there. weird site.

He's a poser,only been around a year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts