Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Triumph has responded to Kawasaki's ZX6R. The Daytona 650 looks like a good formula for Supersport IMO. The power gap between Supersport & Superstock/Superbike is too big. I feel 675cc to a max 700cc would be even better. I wonder how long it will be before someone else responds. I would love to see Supersport racing with 50 to 100 more cubes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Middle Weight Sportbikes & Future of Supersport........... (SP8)

I almost bought a Triumph 600 last year, but too many horror stories from various owners about reliability scurred me off.

Still kinda wished I had went for the V-strom...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Middle Weight Sportbikes & Future of Supersport........... (LDH)

a little of the topic(sorry) but i have been hoping tri would get something real going
i too have heard horror stories that woke me up in the night

the pic above just shows last years tech for this years money, no good IMO. where is the thousand by them?

look at the swingarm, very plain
clutch cover, plain
FI scary IMO.

i also think they should up the CC a litle to close the gap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Middle Weight Sportbikes & Future of Supersport........... (SP8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SP8 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I feel 675cc to a max 700cc would be even better. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i know, maybe even a 750 class!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ryan Andrews raced a TT600 last season in some select AMA events. In Supersport trim the bike was way down on power and he went through 3 engine blow ups. Not reliable by any imagination.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Giannis)

Since when are the 600's not fast enough?

Considering how fantastic the racing is in the 600 class, and what they're able to do with regular ol' dime-a-dozen street bikes (some even refer to them as good starter bikes...
), what exactly needs changing???

It's probably the only class out there that's perfect the way it is!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (AZ Scott)

i remember back in early 90s 600 was the cheap and very competitive class... Bikes that you could afford with descent technology now they try to make the 600 the new SBKs...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I was reading an article about this bike in Road Racig World, and they were saying that the extra displacement gave it a nice boost in midrange power, but the top end was still down compared to the 599cc japs.

The suspension/brakes are old tech as well, so for the money, I'd go Japanese.
As much as I like having a different bike than every other squid out there, Triumph just havn't got it right yet. I hope they do get it right one of these day, because I am a triumph fan. I would like to own one, but not until I stop hearing about reliability issues. The guys at RRW killed a motor during the test.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giannis »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i remember back in early 90s 600 was the cheap and very competitive class... Bikes that you could afford with descent technology now they try to make the 600 the new SBKs...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're talking about Formula Extreme, then sure, it's expensive. Then again, they're still trying to figure out what they want that class to be. (My suggestion, drop that lame-ass word "Extreme" from the title, and that would be a good start...)

But if you're talking about Supersport, it's the same as it always was. The only things they use now that you didn't see in the early 90's are tire warmers and quick-shifters. Otherwise, it's the same stuff, and it's no more "expensive" to run the class than it was back then. (Obviously, inflation makes the dollar value higher).

It always costs big money to run a competitive program, in any class. But comparatively, 600 Supersport is still a hell of a lot cheaper to run than the other classes in AMA. (Not including rider salaries, of course...
)

As for the Triumph: I understand the reliability concerns, but otherwise buy the bike if you like it. If you're not racing, what does it matter if it's not the fastest middleweight, or it has "last year's" brakes and suspension?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Middle Weight Sportbikes & Future of Supersport........... (lbm00n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lbm00n »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know, maybe even a 750 class!!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Full circle.

I'm with AZ - 600's have gotten *fast*, fun to ride, and very popular, so it makes sense to showcase them in Supersport. I personally don't think they make great street bikes, just because you have to keep 'em on the pipe all the time, but they've become amazing track machines - the top guys can run within a couple seconds of the fastest Superbike times, and the trackday newbies can still have fun without getting themselves into too much trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.