Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
slowly doing odds and ends on the bike.. here are a couple pics of the current status. these black dragon cans are really nice pieces, and they sound freaking amazing! still have a good bit of work to do before she is done and ready for this season.

Attachments

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ah, also did this not long ago.. gotta get a new dyno tune done soon.

uni filter with 40ppi filtering properties.

Attachments

·
1,061 Posts
Looking good. Are they loud?

Keep us up to date on that modded box dyno, I'm very interested in the results.

·
Registered
345 Posts
from what I have herd, its not realy worth diving into... if you are going to go that far anyways, buy a thorsten style box, you gain a couple pony's and more importantly loose a couple pounds :D
the cans look good, but I hear there painfully loud....

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mrgrn,

yeah, i think the straps cover the stickers because of my own custom made exhaust brackets, but new stickers would be good that way people can see who makes these cans. ;)

as for the airbox mod, but virtue of gutting the box you gain volume in the airbox, and lose weight. the stock box without the rubber insulators weighs 4.73lbs. the filters weigh .77lbs, and what you gut out of it weighs a little over a lb.(my guess from doing it) considering its free to do the work i figured why not. it follows the same principle as a t1,thorsten and even more closely to the moriwaki/squidskinz airbox by not using any baffles and just a filter at the snorkel the only difference really is that the stock box has less volume.

ctx, as for losing a couple lbs. its been proven that a gutted stock airbox is about a single lb heavier than the thorsten or t1 style and about the same as a mori/ss unit. take a read through this thread for the facts. once i get my bike retuned ill post the numbers/chart for comparison.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-technical-discussion/63434-thorsten-turnone-mori-ss-airbox-gains.html

and in regards to how the cans sound.. id post an audio clip if i thought it would do them justice, and i still might, but i dont think you will get the true feeling of how good they sound. the best way i can describe it that they sound like an 800lb lion roaring. they are freaking loud, and deep, in a good way. they make the bike sound really mean. ive only rev'd the bike up in the garage since she isnt put together yet, but i imagine it will sound even better once im ripping down the track at 10,000 rpms. im really happy i went with these cans.

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
Mark beat me to it... remove the stickers before they turn black from heat. the very edge of mine is covered by the band and started turning black.

And they aren't as loud as some people try to act like. The 2008 R6r that I rode for 2 weeks was louder with it's Two Brothers low mount can. Especially when you got above 12k RPM's....

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tlrskunk,

compared to my akras they are quite a bit louder, but then again ive only had the bike started in the garage so its going to be much louder in general. i dont think they would be offensively louder compared to most aftermarket systems for most people, but they are louder( i think thats a good thing).

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Just another note on the sound. These cans are on the louder sidef ro sure with the shorter length and larger core size and no DB killer. I am able to have the cans made a bit longer as well as a smaller core size and add DB killers to help quiet them down if that need be the case. I think i have a picture of a long GP can on the aprilai and yamaha sections for a reference.

Thanks again guys for your feedback and suppport

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Just another note on the sound. These cans are on the louder sidef ro sure with the shorter length and larger core size and no DB killer. I am able to have the cans made a bit longer as well as a smaller core size and add DB killers to help quiet them down if that need be the case.

Thanks again guys for your feedback and suppport

Site Builder with custom 450mm long GP can

Site Builder

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i decided to paint my forks tubes just before the new year and the forks really looked nice. went to install them and ended up chipping the paint pretty bad by not having the clamps loose enough, so now i have to sand them down and repaint them but havent had the time. they are going to look really good though once they are done and on.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I've been doing odds and ends for the last couple weeks too. New sato clipons and rear-sets, installing a new ohlins shock, installing grip heaters and redoing the switch and wiring for the spal fan. I still have make some rad scoops and pick up a second fan in preparation for the Texas heat, and I still have to pick up a caliper and line for my underhung bracket. Seems like it never ends.

What rotor is that?

You should really do the cbr coils and the bladerunner mods. It really cleans up the ass end and makes it easier to pull the tail off.

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
bmf... If you want to do the CBR coil mod i would split a pig tail set with you. I would love to get rid of my coils.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts