Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doug Polen suggested that I switch to a stickier tire for our next one-on-one session. I currently have Michelin Pilot Powers. Any opinions on Michelin Pilot Race??

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pilot race was discontinued...they make the pilot power and the power race. I know it's confusing and gay but just trying to clarify.

Power race's are great tires I have been very impressed by them, they wear good as well. The tires coming out now are so nice...we really are lucky to be riding on them.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
socal said:
Doug Polen suggested that I switch to a stickier tire for our next one-on-one session. I currently have Michelin Pilot Powers. Any opinions on Michelin Pilot Race??
Using Medium/Soft Power Race's front and rear and love them. 31/24 front/rear pressure for the 998R. :twocents

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
New dual compound Power race med./soft edges is a good tire, so good I was almost on my race pace times at a NESBA Barber trackday back in July on my stock suspended at the time brand new '05 GSX-R750 in street cloths.:rockon The tires held up pretty good considering the crappy stock suspension and all.

I raced the the two older style Michelins for 3 years with great results and feedback.

Michelins are good tires!

·
Registered
615 Posts
the older pilot race tires (S2, H2, M2) are good but when they slide they really don't give warning...they just go and most of the time you have to change your underwear and tires when that happens:woot:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've been getting some pretty serious shredding and chunking this year with the new Power Race rears on both my track bikes. Maybe I just haven't found an optimum, but it seems that if the pressure's too high (24 is too high for track riding, they recommend a nominal 22), they chunk, and if the pressure's too low (they recommend minimum 17) they shred. Just out of curiousity I put a 190/60 Dunlop 209 rear on my 750 last time out, and it held up *great* all day long - I'd have worn out two Power Race rears doing that. They handle well and grip great until the tread gets torn up, but in my experience they do get torn up rapidly - more rapidly than the older M2/S2's. I'm starting to wonder if the newfangled 22 psi design is a bit of a step backwards. :twocents Front's are fine, no issues there.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
jeffkoch check into some suspension settings, sounds like your bike is not set right which will accelerate tire wear. Chumking has not been a problem on my 750 with good quality front and rear suspension components.

As far as the old M2, S2 tires,, I loved them!! I had the rear slip a time or two but nothing a quick throttle hand couldn't cure. They needed to be hot to work well.

·
Registered
602 Posts
SOcal, I got new Power Race "mediums" from Section8 and they are amazing! My last tires where diablo corsa's which were fine for track riding until you went fast, and then they are really not so good. The race Powers are night/day difference, tons of confidence, and my bike is on rails now in the corners. Get them, they will for sure give you more confidence and you will go faster. The downside is I will only get 3-4 trackdays out of them, but they are worth it!
:twocents

·
Registered
831 Posts
BALLZ said:
jeffkoch check into some suspension settings, sounds like your bike is not set right....
They're both fine.
Especially since the Dunlop was fine on the same bike with the same settings. Several other AFM guys I know have similar problems - maybe it's partly the local track surfaces, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
JeffKoch said:
They're both fine.
Especially since the Dunlop was fine on the same bike with the same settings. Several other AFM guys I know have similar problems - maybe it's partly the local track surfaces, I'm not sure.
Michelin and Dunlop setting will be different. I never could get a round Dunlop front to get anywhere with Dunlop. Michelins I've run always had a different setup (same bike) verses a Dunlop setup. Michelin fronts are more aggresive in profile even the new power race ones. Just a thought. Sure your not cold tearing the tires?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had the same issues with the medium/soft Michelin's tearing out chunks - the Michelin guy at the track and the suspension guy who set up my bike said they saw it on another bike too, and were not too sure what the issue was. They played around with pressures and the suspenson setup, but the problem didn't go away. It is not like my R6 is some massive torque monster, but the track I ride on (Pacific Raceways) is kind of 'lumpy'.

I did love these tires - great traction/grip (except in the damp) but Ithink I will be going back to Dunlops, which never gave me any problem (Pirellis were also fine on my bike, but I prefer the harder sidewall dunlops).

·
Registered
831 Posts
BALLZ said:
Sure your not cold tearing the tires?
Nope, happens even on 100-degree days. I did wind up making some changes in back (only, I kept a Michelin front) to compensate for the huge difference in tire height, dropping the rear ride height like 10 mm - I played with comp. damping a bit too, and next time I'll probably run a bit more, but that's about it. The fatter rear slowed the steering a bit, too - and gave much better mid-corner stability and fantastic exit drive. Great tire. :rockon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts