Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since everything in print is gospel , thought this was worth a mention : MOTORCYCLIST makes BMW S1000RR Motorcycle Of The Year . So the "long and crappy" I4 has some life left . This rag has lost credibility in my mind since the Dexter Ford fiasco but wtf , at least it's not a V4 .

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Aprilia RSV4 should have been the bike. Even though it doesn't have the same amount of power in stock form it is the best combination of performance and charisma. It is the 916 of this generation. A keeper. The V4 isn't magic, but the bike as a whole is probably the coolest thing you can buy at the moment. Dominating WSBK also (like the 916 did).

The BMW manages to be even uglier than the current Japanese literbikes. It has put BMW on the performance map but will be overtaken by the likes of Honda and Kawasaki by 2012 and soon forgotten, IMO. I know the top-end power is awesome, although actually it has more rev range and that is the difference, at road engine speeds it is basically the same as other literfours. I also know the electronics, blah, blah. Honda will come out with all these things and not charge and extra $3000 by 2012.

Great first effort by BMW to copy and one-up the Japanese bikes. Now make something that people will still want 15 years from now. The Aprilia will be that way, the BMW will not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Since everything in print is gospel , thought this was worth a mention : MOTORCYCLIST makes BMW S1000RR Motorcycle Of The Year . So the "long and crappy" I4 has some life left . This rag has lost credibility in my mind since the Dexter Ford fiasco but wtf , at least it's not a V4 .
Just like a newspaper the only reason to read any of those magazines is to be entertained and that is it. However, Motorcyclist hasn't been entertaining EVER:eek: :twocents

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
Aprilia RSV4 should have been the bike. Even though it doesn't have the same amount of power in stock form it is the best combination of performance and charisma. It is the 916 of this generation. A keeper. The V4 isn't magic, but the bike as a whole is probably the coolest thing you can buy at the moment. Dominating WSBK also (like the 916 did).

The BMW manages to be even uglier than the current Japanese literbikes. It has put BMW on the performance map but will be overtaken by the likes of Honda and Kawasaki by 2012 and soon forgotten, IMO. I know the top-end power is awesome, although actually it has more rev range and that is the difference, at road engine speeds it is basically the same as other literfours. I also know the electronics, blah, blah. Honda will come out with all these things and not charge and extra $3000 by 2012.

Great first effort by BMW to copy and one-up the Japanese bikes. Now make something that people will still want 15 years from now. The Aprilia will be that way, the BMW will not.
I tend to agree with you. At least as far as which one may be preferable for street duty and long-term ownership. I think the BMW is here to stay, though...it's TOO good to disappear.. I'm old and slow enough to have known for years that the highest performance bike is not always the "best" bike to own. It's true that the Aprilia is comprehensively outgunned by most of the modern sport bikes (BMW, Honda, Kawasaki for sure. Perhaps Suzuki.)...at least in what you and I can buy for the street....but does the BMW have more raw "appeal" to an owner than the Aprilia? I doubt it. I think that video of the BMW running the hot lap at Nurburgring is astounding, and shows the sheer speed of that enormously fast bike, but which would I choose to live in my garage?

...if the Aprilia fits me, it could well be it. The Yamaha may well be my only reasonable choice, though, even though it's even slower than the Aprilia....because it still has decently roomy ergonomics, and I don;t feel like a huge ****ing pimple on some midget's arse when riding it.

·
Registered
651 Posts

No. The 916 set standards for motorcycle design for a decade and a half. The Ape4 does not. The BMW will always be remember for its inventive styling, brute power, and electronics package. The 916 comparison is just off man, sorry....

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the BMW deserves the award b/c it surpasses the technology and performance of the competition for a decent price , surprisingly created by a company not known for this . Actual race success notwithstanding , the bike uses F1 ideas to great effect and is a brutally honest piece of engineering . Derivative ? Yes , and so may not possess the "charisma" , "character" , or "raw appeal" of the Ape but I still think it'll stand the test of time . Mmm ... we might all be affected by V4itis with all this talk of intangibles , but I refuse to say "short and ssss-aa ..." .

·
Registered
4,178 Posts

Wasn't the Aprilia BOTT last yr? :confused:

No way the RSV4 would have been the leader of the pack this season. Compared to the competition it is too underpowered, too overpriced (are those traditional V4 traits or something? :cool: ) coupled with the recent engine issue debacle it couldn't have been the champ this season. Add in the new benchmark set by BMW and it's not even in the game this season. Also remember the BMW isn't just a one-trick pony ala the ZX10R; it's tops in engine performance, equal in suspension and handling to the Japanese and offers a superior electronics package to all but the 40K 1198S.

I disagree that the Aprilia is the 916 of this gen; the Aprilia isn't exactly the best looker out there - yes subjective - and despite its omnipotence this season it will have a long uphill battle to top the 916's racing record plus the 916 raced in the heyday of WSC where there was full factory support by the Japanese; that is hardly the case this season.

Yes the BMW will be eclipsed within a season most likely by the Japanese not the Aprilia but the BMW comes in at a significant price reduction compared to the Aprilia, significantly more performance, better electronics package, and is within a stones throw of the Japanese plus (at least in Canada) a 3 yr warranty. So the Japanese will mvoe the goal posts next season - how will Aprilia react by giving it 5 more bhp and still being significantly shy of the benchmark?

People will still want the Aprilia in 15yrs but the BMW will still be on the road in 15 yrs; sadly Aprilia doesn't have Honda build quality.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
The BMW will always be remember for its inventive styling....
If by inventive you mean incredibly disjointed, cheap-looking, and derivative...I tend to agree with this statement.

Take the puke green S1000RR and tell me there is an uglier bike for sale today.

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
If by inventive you mean incredibly disjointed, cheap-looking, and derivative...I tend to agree with this statement.

yup the current ZX10. fuggin hideous

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Be careful, he carries a gun!:rolleyes:
Trust me, I am concerned, in all seriousness! This thread I found in my research for the mgrn thread is disturbing. I am all for gun rights but uhh...

Kohl's issue

"Thanks for the tips.

called today to complain and he was there. He said i scared everybody with my two year old and wife and people should not have to worry if i am mentaly stable and safe to carry a gun.

Last time there for sure and lesson under the belt"

IF THEY ONLY KNEW!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts

It reminds me of Terblanche's turd the 999, it could run like the wind but had a look only a mother could love.:twocents

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts

hmmm, I can think of LOTS uglier, so I guess it really is a personal statement. :)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the look except the front which should have 2 of the rounded light . Let's face it , in the sbk category form follows function so there's just so much a designer can do once the drivetrain is established , but they did overdo the asymmetry with the different lights .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts