Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks so much for the awesome weekend at Grattan. The smaller groups were great, the food was awesome, and the sound of so many dry clutches drove me crazy!!

I could only stay for Saturday but it was fantastic and my buddy is now solidly hooked on the track and shopping for a compliment to his monster. Thanks again for all of your hard work!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Major Kudos to Section8 (Rooster)

i agree. a truly positive, exciting experience for my first trackday/days...now i am so hooked...
I learned more in two days than in the year and a bit of street riding.

the sec8 and stt folks were awesome: jason, bill, monte and bonnie put on an outstanding show
and especially i want to thank all the instructors out there for putting up with my occasional heckling during the classroom sessions- and my leads: chris for sat, and paul for sun: it was a privilege to be towed behind, and learn from ya'll. top notch novice instructing indeed...
and jason, you'll be seeing me this week for some replacement parts

Modified by gtoast at 10:01 AM 5/23/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Wanted to throw my
in and say thanks for a great weekend and besides it's all I'll have left after signing up for more trackdays this year !

Cheers -

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hey Bill/Jason,

When is the next track day!!! Good times, good food, great group of people. Your crew were all so helpful and cool to hang with. Had a blast riding Grattan for the first time...a little intimidating the first couple of sessions....especially T3. Big thanks!!!
Let's do it again!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Major Kudos to Section8 (gtoast)

Replacement parts? What ya talking about Graham? don't tell me you broke in your new jacket?

Looked like fun ya'll, I think I'll be looking for some cheap plastics for the 748 before August, and make my 1st track day.

PS...I love Tater Tots.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gtoast »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...now i am so hooked...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I keep tellin' the youngsters.... I don't care how good looking she is... or how hot she is in the sack... "ain't nothin' like ridin' a bike on the track."

Nothin'.......

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Major Kudos to Section8 (Saginaw748)

my trackdayreport as reported on the local page:

ah ha…report

got in to grattan around 1am and slept detroit style: back o the truck.

rising to the birds and sun at whatever time…and pitted up with the rest of the du crew after erecting the canopies.

Int out first, and our first classroom session begins. was kind of expecting to be nervous, but i wasn’t. slotted myself into group 2, and immediately dropped to group 3 when i realized there was one.

all in all, there were about 20-25 novice riders in total, split into 5 groups, none of whom had track experience, and varying road experience. i found it humorous that all with one or two exceptions were sporting brand spanking new gear.

the classroom sessions were a great intro into how thing would work through the day, but the treat was heading onto the track.

1st session being 4 or 5 laps covering outside, centre, inside, and racing lines. And back to the pit, ready for another classroom talk. the morning was pretty calm, running with increasing speeds, and implementing the classroom philosophy into technique.

the afternoon was more of the same, just running faster speeds. i stayed in group three for the entire weekend. gave a really good opportunity to learn the track, and build the confidence. turn 3 rocks, but the bowl to the bus stop through to the blind corner onto the straight was my absolute favorite part of the track. it was great having these stt instructors leading. although we did rotate positions within the group i tried to finagle being 1st behind whenever I could. Made for a smother ride, and first row seat to watch a guy who knows what they are doing.

sunday brought rain…and yet another really great learning experience, slow it down (kinda) and think a little more about whats happening, where you’re looking, body positioning etc. The track was really slick in spots, my back end was washing a bit (mere microns, I’m sure) but I could feel it. I only did 2 sessions in the morning (heard the overhead from the dirt track announcing something about hotdogs, and got fixated on food) so I missed the third.

the afternoon: only one session. on the third lap (maybe), got a little off line through the bus stop, tried to correct, and overcorrected (maybe, not sure exactly how it happened but i surely wasn’t breaking, nor opening the throttle) and down I goes. 40 ft slide, end of day, and 1 trashed duc.

a special thanks to arshag for pointing out that michelin pilots suck in the rain-as duccy was being towed into the pits. very insightful

all I can say about the bike and the aftermath: film at 11.

all in all, one kick-ass weekend. the crash scuffed up my leathers so it looks like I got a knee down (although its on the wrong side), and elleviated me the responsibility of driving over them in the parking lot so they actually look used

the crash, as with everything, has inspired me to do some learning. new fixation: tyre compounds, and brands

now i am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hooked

damage rundown

i'm not really sure yet. don't think the frame is banged

1-faqued up throttle gummed with grass and dirt-to be replaced
2-collapsed clutch cover, effect on clutch yet to be determined-good thing about that fantastic duc's unlimited cover
3-rear brake peg (like i ever even use it...)-rep peg
4-entire right side fairing crunched/cracked/scuffed-buy some frame sliders

i think i said when/if i go down i'd come out with carbon fibre fairings...not anymore.

i've got my bonefied $15000 track bike, now i just need a 500$ pos for the street

thats all folks

and the cap'n got some nice video of my trophy presentation

<FONT SIZE="26">TATERS SUCK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</FONT>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mental998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I keep tellin' the youngsters.... I don't care how good looking she is... or how hot she is in the sack... "ain't nothin' like ridin' a bike on the track."

Nothin'....... </TD></TR></TABLE>
LOL

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Major Kudos to Section8 (BlackHawk)

THanks for the props! We had a great time...everyone was very cool; ridiers kept their heads together and no one did anything *really* stupid; everyone came back in one peice - even if their bikes didn't! Some folks, lie G-Toast - got a very expensive t-shirt!! I enjoyed presenting it, though!

We're looking to do it again later this summer...hopefully with some Ducati Corse involvement (did I say too much?!)!

Hoiw do I get to see that presentation Video?!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Major Kudos to Section8 (993twin)

Lets see some pictures!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Major Kudos to Section8 (kerlyb)

I can't put into words how much effort Jason, Bill, and the whole gang from Section8 put into this event. I was only there Saturday, but it was the best track day I've ever been to. They had great food brought in, a cool Section8 t shirt given out after the event. I was parked next to Joe (kerlyb) and he and I went after each other all day long. Joe was a bit faster, but I had a ton of fun. NOBODY did anything stupid, dangerous, or put a wheel wrong that I saw. Just a great bunch of guys having a blast. Thanks again to all of Section8, I want to say we are all VERY lucky to have a dealer that supports the Ducati community the way they do. Oh yeah, Michelin Pilot Powers rock.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Major Kudos to Section8 (Phil 998)

I'd like to do a track day (or a race) with Jason when he rides his own bike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Major Kudos to Section8 (trussdude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trussdude »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd like to do a track day (or a race) with Jason when he rides his own bike.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
hey jason was riding his own jap bike
i will let him explain why he was not riding the duck the whole time

jason did you give yourself a "special" shirt at the end of the weekend?

i am glad all had a good time

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Major Kudos to Section8 (gixracer)

And I don't care what you HAMSTERS say...... I did NOT CRASH. IT WAS A TIPOVER. LOL.

I'M A WARRIOR. I SAVED THREE FRIGGIN HIGHSIDES. Everyone else was scared to ride the track in the wet.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Major Kudos to Section8 (Turbo329)

Sunday absolutely rocked it was a free for all in the afternoon.

I went out for every session because nobody was on the track.

The first intermediate session I literally had the whole track to myself. lol

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Major Kudos to Section8 (Gary D)

Hey, I'm famous, OK not famous, but the 998 in Gary's first picture is mine and the three guys at the Armco is my son on the left, me in the middle and J.U. 996SPS on the right.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Major Kudos to Section8 (Phil 998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phil 998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...in Gary's first picture is my son on the left, me in the middle and J.U. 996SPS on the right. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummmm... you mean this pic...?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone know the name of the photographer that was there? I never did remember to go check and see if he had any good pics of me.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Major Kudos to Section8 (Mental998)

I would like to thank everyone for coming out. I think it turned out very well and it wasd great having all of the first time riders there.

As for why I was riding my jap bike.......................well, I definitly took the award for bonehead move of the weekend, and wasted no time in doing so. Three laps into teh second session I was trying to dive under my Tech Jason Szczygiel (pronounced Segul) gointo turn three and made the classic two stroke mistake. I was hauling him in big time coming into the corner and all of my calculations told me that I was going to get to the apex before him. Not so, I don't think he even hiot the brakes and just chucked his TZR250 right into the corner...............exactly where I was going. Long story short I hit him like a bowling ball and we both went down. Fortunately neither of us were hurt and the bikes weren't bad at all. Jason had his fixed in 20 minutes and I could have fixed mine but I didn't have another clutch lever so I just rode my GSXR ("It's good to be the king" Mel Brooks). The funny part about the whole deal was that we (Jason and I) both had our brand new section8 leathers on, and when I mean new I mean new, we had never tuirned a lap on them before. I even went as far as rolling arround on the ground before I went out to de-magnatize them, but Jason S didn't,................................so I blame him for the whole incedent

We will be putting dates together for the second event of the year in the next couple of weeks. We hope to have Neil H and Eric B there and it will be at Gingerman this time

1 - 20 of 27 Posts