Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping a friend lower her SV 650. How the hell do you remove the nuts holding the rear links to the shock and swingarm? I think there's a c clip in there somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can get to it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Lowering an SV 650 (Rocket51)

Is this a newer SV, or a pre-2003 version? On the older one, they're just regular ol' nuts and bolts...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It's an '02. But I swear there's a c clip in there. What's on the newer model?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rocket51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's an '02. But I swear there's a c clip in there. What's on the newer model?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The new one's probably the same, but in any case, if it's an '02 then it's just two bolts holding the dog bones on, with two self-locking nuts on the ends. The nuts are the type that have a little strip of metal built into the threads to hold them on. Maybe this is what looks like a circlip to you?

You should be able to break torque with two wrenches. Make sure the bike is supported, of course...

Also, you'll want to drop the forks accordingly if you're lowering the rear suspension, so the geometry stays the same.

As Tifosi said, however, your best bet is to shave off some seat foam first, so you don't lose any ground clearance. That may be all she needs. How tall is your friend? What's her inseam?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The seat foam is a good idea. I'll look into that. She does have long legs for a short chick.

As for those bolts, I'll go back for another heave ho.

I'm going to lower the front end to match. The bike has aftermarket bars (nice) that won't allow you to raise the forks much, but she has the stock bars. Will the stock bars allow for about a 2" drop?

Thanks again for all your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts