Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love 'em or Hate 'em?

I personally hate the things! They kept me from riding this past weekend and the weather was perfect. I tried to go out on the 750 early Saturday, they were asleep until mid morning then they were as thick as rblack ain. I promptly went home to clean up the bike, helmet and jacket. The suckers will eat paint right off and stink like dead fish. They were so thick at my house your could sweep the dead ones in a pile to the edge of the garage. We are not used to having them here in central Ms. Hurricane Katrina blew them in this far north. Sucks they are a stupid insect, they'll fly right into a burning candle. They can get into your house through the smallest crack. Nothing gets rid of them except time. Drive your car in them and your gonna have fun cleaning them off the front. They can clog up a radiator in no time. My 750 had several on it in the short time I rode through the swarm near my house. Come night they disapear.

They have no natural preditor that I know of. They are a member of the fly family so I read. Nasty SOB's!

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I grew up in Florida and they were nasty....they are attracted to the fumes in automobile exhaust hence they breed on roadsides and live their short sexually hyperactive (we didn't call them love bugs) lives right where they do the most damage.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AA 996 said:
Dood....nice rant.:cool:
thank you.

No riding except to work and back has got me ready to bitch about anything at this point.:rolleyes:

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
not to take away from your rant, but at least they are small bugs.....wait till you catch a 1" long june bug in the helmet, itll put your head back. Those things are like rocks with wings :mad:

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What was really scary was the cruiser guys around here riding with no full face helmet and NO windshield:eek:

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
Dezmo said:
not to take away from your rant, but at least they are small bugs.....wait till you catch a 1" long june bug in the helmet, itll put your head back. Those things are like rocks with wings :mad:
Hit a swarm of bees at 80 MPH. It feels like a friggen 12 guage full of buck shot.

·
Geez. Some people...
1,615 Posts
sp2pilot said:
Hit a swarm of bees at 80 MPH. It feels like a friggen 12 guage full of buck shot.
Not to mention, you hit a bee and it leaves a thick, sticky, translucent goo all over your face shield. :eek: I've hit bees and had to pull over because I couldn't see in front of me afterward!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bees and June bugs. Yeah, I agree with the above statements. Last night I was offering my justifcation for speeding on public roadways (a two pronged philosophy 1. We live in what was envisioned as a democracy and the overwhelming majority speeds either a little or a lot, therefore, the posted speeds can't be regarded as just law and 2. Civil disobedience, I'll pull over and take my ticket if I see the cop & lights, and If I am going too fast & get over the next hill and around the next corner before the lights ever come on & get tagged for running, I guess I'll take that punishment too, but I accept the consequences and choose to disregard those laws where reasonable and prudent to do so.) So one of the raving liberals at this party says, "So why is it that you always wear a helmet sometimes even wear full gear?" to which I immediatetly replied, "june bugs, you hear them ricochette off your car, you see the mess they make. . . they do the same thing to a helmet, I can't imagine choosing to take that in the face". I then went on to talk about rocks kicked up by trucks and other reasons to wear gear besides the occasional asphalt slide. Bees, yeah I will second the sentiment about having to stop and clean the face shield due to the boggers those buggers leave.

Love bugs I am not familiar with, apparently not in my part of the country or just something I haven't heard refered to with that name. They sound nasty though. What do they look like?

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
sp2pilot said:

Many moons ago, a coupla buddies and I rode from Tallahassee down to Daytona for the races...on the way back a bee flew in my buddies t-shirt and stung him.....I looked in my mirror and saw him just all over his bike like he was having a seizure...he ended up having an allergic reaction to it and had a golf ball size whelp on his back.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
roadkill said:
Many moons ago, a coupla buddies and I rode from Tallahassee down to Daytona for the races...on the way back a bee flew in my buddies t-shirt and stung him.....I looked in my mirror and saw him just all over his bike like he was having a seizure...he ended up having an allergic reaction to it and had a golf ball size whelp on his back.
I can top that.

Running an 8 lap sprint race, wasp flies through the lower vent of my Arai (unscathed...but I swear I'm not that slow), then proceeds to walk around the inside of my face shield for the remainder of the race. Any idea what that does to your concentration...when you have a wasp 3" from your face casually strolling around while you are trying to win a race?

Finished the race, wasp didn't sting me, pulled into my pit, took off my helmet, shook him out, and ground him to dust.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can't help but picture the cruiser guys ..and then I think of Me Myself, and Irene

CLASSIC!!

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
BALLZ said:
Love 'em or Hate 'em?

I personally hate the things! They kept me from riding this past weekend and the weather was perfect. I tried to go out on the 750 early Saturday, they were asleep until mid morning then they were as thick as rblack ain. I promptly went home to clean up the bike, helmet and jacket. The suckers will eat paint right off and stink like dead fish. They were so thick at my house your could sweep the dead ones in a pile to the edge of the garage. We are not used to having them here in central Ms. Hurricane Katrina blew them in this far north. Sucks they are a stupid insect, they'll fly right into a burning candle. They can get into your house through the smallest crack. Nothing gets rid of them except time. Drive your car in them and your gonna have fun cleaning them off the front. They can clog up a radiator in no time. My 750 had several on it in the short time I rode through the swarm near my house. Come night they disapear.

They have no natural preditor that I know of. They are a member of the fly family so I read. Nasty SOB's!
Asian Beetles. And yes they have no natural predator. We used Cy-kick to kill them and to make a chemical barrier to help keep them out. I had a good record keeping them under control in peoples homes (I worked for orkin for 2 yrs). Usually if they are in th ehouse, you might have to drill small holes into the wall to shoot pesticides up in teh wall voids. Treat aroud all window and door cracks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not insectiods and not on a bike, but I hit a robin once while driving in a car. It flew out from some bushes by the road and next thing I knew, it smacked into my hood, hit the wipers, bounced onto the windshield, made a fuzzy somersault and finally landing on the other side of the road. It was hobbling and tried to take off... as soon as it flapped its wings it got run over by a dump truck! I spent 30 minutes cleaning my hood and plucking feathers off the wipers... I shudder to think what would happen if it were to hit me while riding my bike instead.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Been there, done that...

Couple years ago I was on a ride with the local Fulmer Helmet rep when he all the sudden realized he didn't fill up his tank before coming on the ride so we get out of the twisties & hightail it back to Arlington TN down a long straight section of 2 lane road. I'm clipping along at about a buck-twenty when a pheasant comes out of the ditch & hits me in the helmet. It was nothing but feathers & ass by the time it was over, but man what a surprise!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Years ago I was pulling off of Mulholland to stop at the Rock Store and after I shut things down I pulled off the old Bell Star helmet and discovered a buzzing bee trying to pull it's ass out of his head, stuck right in the front vent for the mouth. Made me very happy that I always wear a helmet.
Cheers,
D

·
Infrequent Visitor
1,996 Posts
I hate the smell of the dead $shit that accompanies the Red Tide in Florida - nasty!

In a car you can roll up the windows and switch the air to recirculate, but on a bike you just inhale that stuff and there is no escape....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts