Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the key is gone. I have looked everywhere. What is the protocol for getting a new key from Honda?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Are you the original owner?

IF so or you know where it was purchased new the dealer may have it on file. Mine did when i got a new key and forgot my original.

Also,

I have had great success with a locksmith on my gsxr. there were only a few combinations made those years though.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Is there a number on the rim of the ignition where the key goes? Older hondas you could just give the number to the dealer and they can punch you a new key.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've been told by a honda dealer once, that the code is punched internally on the ignition switch. Check with a dealer to be sure before you go tearing it apart.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here is how it's done dont mess with the ignition, pull the tumbler assembly out of the trunk area there is a key code on it, take the tumbler down to a lock smith $35 buck later you have a new key.
I know this because my at the time 3 year old pitched my last key out the window of my truck :(

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Might be able to get a key made from the veh inf. number (VIN). The key code is stamped on the outside of the ignition lock assembly. Take the whole thing down to Honda dealer to get a key cut and test fit at the same time - sometime newly cut key will need to be tweaked a bit to work on old locks.

·
Munky
532 Posts
When I bougt my RC I lost the freaking key to it before I even got it home. :wtf

So I pulled the upper triple clamp off with the ignition and headed to my local stealership. $10 bucks later and 2 keys and good to go. The whole process took about 5 mins to perform. I didnt even have the RC registered in my name yet. They asked no questions. Just alittle scary!

ian

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did the same as munky...but had to take my title and whole ignition to them. This is after I already went down there and they told me over the phone all I needed was the key stamp. So I took the whole upper triple(had the bike apart for the engine swap anyways, plus I wanted to piss them off), and 5 minutes later, all was good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Shortly after getting my RC I lost my only key. I called a locksmith to make it since the dealer was closed at the time. I took the fasteners off the tail section and was able to pop the latch for the cover using a long rod. I then removed the cover/seat lock assembly and the got the key code from it. The locksmith used the code to cut a new key. If you can't get the cover off to get to the lock and don't want to remove the ignition a locksmith can make a key without the code but it will cost more.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts