Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the brembo 19x18 radial MC for quite awhile now but after I fixed the bike after my wreck last year the brakes feel like crap. There's 0 lever pull before the brakes are on. Now maybe this is the way it's supposed to be on this bike but my gsxr the feel is a lot better and much more lever travel (using a 19x20 on that bike). I've bled the brakes, cleaned the calipers, made sure there's nothing visibly wrong and they're still like this. In fact they actually felt better when there's was a small bubble in the MC bleeder. lol Any thoughts? Not riding the bike for a very long time means it may be ok and I just forgot.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Hey Engine,

First thought that came to mind for "Me" reading this is... Sounds like you've got Too Much brake fluid...
Try this bro., (Hopefully you have paddock stands?).. Once you've got the rear in place... Lift the front, get that wheel OFF the ground and Give her a Big Ole SPIN!...? IF she stops too quickly\drags Alot?

First thing I'd do, remove F.Brake-resev. cover... Spin again, now what do you have?

Still drags, NOW it's time to loosen up ALL the front end bolts... ie brake cal., axle pinch bolts, and axle bolt... Carefully redo everything spinnin' the wheel as you go... When she tightens Up... You've found the problem...:twocents Yes/No?
HONDA Service Man., gives you the sequence in which to tighten everything down correctly.

I Hope this Helps.

·
Shane RC51
889 Posts
My first thought was too much fluid in the reservoir...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry been busy. I have this and the quickshifter to work on but I spent the weekend with the gf and worked on the gsxr instead since I have a trackday on Thurs and Mon. I need to find time for it on Friday though. I'm thinking it may be a combination of things but the reservoir definitely isn't overfull. But I'm going to make sure I do the process to the T on how to bleed the brakes and align the front wheel. I think the calipers may need rebuilding though and I'll probably get new brake pad pins since mine are beat up pretty good.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the way they say to set the front tire up and no good. Lever is still hard. Today I tore apart the brakes and calipers and am hoping that cleaning them out will get rid of the problem since I think a piston was sticking. If not then I have no freakin clue...

This bike is making me frustrated. I should tear it all apart and start from the ground up and buy new parts for most everything that's questionable...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I tried the way they say to set the front tire up and no good. Lever is still hard. Today I tore apart the brakes and calipers and am hoping that cleaning them out will get rid of the problem since I think a piston was sticking. If not then I have no freakin clue...

This bike is making me frustrated. I should tear it all apart and start from the ground up and buy new parts for most everything that's questionable...
Replace the piston seals while you're at it, they're cheap and it's a common cause for sticking. A seal might be damaged from pushing the piston in dirty, or from using a wrong type of cleaner/solvent. Even a small kink in the seal, or swelling as a result of using non-compatible cleaner, might cause piston sticking. Clean and, if necessary, polish the pistons before reassembly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts