Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a kit where you can add a spring to in order to make the trunk like pop up when the key is turned. My lid fits snug and almost resessed which makes it a pain to get open. Any help would be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Looking for Spring loaded trunk lid (tacpmeho)

I suggest taking a look at the 929 trunk/tail cover/rear seat piece. It was very convient to have but remember what kind of bike you gotten yourself into..that doesn't mean you can't mod it but at least you know where others are coming from when they might flame your auss for trying to make it more convient on a SUPERBIKE

I have an easy fix for ya. Just screw a piece of strong tape ,string , or flat material to the underside of the lid . A little tab so it will stick out for you to grab and pull the tail cover up. Problem solved

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Looking for Spring loaded trunk lid (tacpmeho)

did you try just bending up the metal "spring" piece that is existing?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Looking for Spring loaded trunk lid (Wild Child)

I put a spring on mine, will try to post a picture, if it doesn't work I will e-mail you the pic. Basicly I took the little cutout by the latch and drilled a hole, put a spring from ACE hardware with a screw/nut and notched washer holding it on. Took some trial and error to get the length right, but I turn the key and it pops up about half an inch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Looking for Spring loaded trunk lid (nemo963)

Nice, thanks for the reply, I usually think of the easy stuff first but I was going all complicated and stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Looking for Spring loaded trunk lid (nemo963)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nemo963 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I put a spring on mine, will try to post a picture, if it doesn't work I will e-mail you the pic. Basicly I took the little cutout by the latch and drilled a hole, put a spring from ACE hardware with a screw/nut and notched washer holding it on. Took some trial and error to get the length right, but I turn the key and it pops up about half an inch.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very cool

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Looking for Spring loaded trunk lid (3stripes)

Great, now we're going to have people listing mods to their bikes: Flapper and pair mod, Nicky mod, spring mod...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Looking for Spring loaded trunk lid (Wild Child)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wild Child »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great, now we're going to have people listing mods to their bikes: Flapper and pair mod, Nicky mod, spring mod...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You just jealous cuase you didnt' think of it first
...I know I AM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 3stripes »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You just jealous cuase you didnt' think of it first
...I know I AM
</TD></TR></TABLE>
"Necessity is the mother of invention." My seat/rear cover work, so I had no need to think of it
Pretty fancy idea though! I'll already have the answer, in case I have the question!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Go to Ace Hdwr and buy a barrel shaped spring (they didn't have any conical springs available) and cut it to make it into a conical spring (total length needs to be about an inch or so). The 6mm bolt (8mm head) that holds that little aluminum plate that covers the lock mechanism latch is perfectly aligned with a 'notch' on the trunk lid. The picture posted by 3Stripes shows a spring mounted in the notch instead of on the subframe (works either way). A conical spring works best since the small end can be secured with the bolt by itself - no washers needed. The larger end accomodates a socket so it can be tightened properly.

I did this mod after about the second time I opened the trunk lid because of the way you have to sort of pry it out. Definately bad for long term paint preservation. It's also helps to ensure that the lid is fully latched because if it's not it will spring back up. They should have done this at the factory. It would have been an extremely simple and cost effective move.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Frost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frost »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since we're gettin jiggy, why don't we find a setup where theres a little motor that flips between the seat and the cowl. Push a button and the cowl raises up, flips around, and the seat is facing up. I'd pay for that...shiiiiiiit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the seat is on one side and the cowl is on the other, where does the little plasma TV go?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts