Speedzilla Forums banner

Looking for a set of 17" wheel for my 05 Yamaha 450???

1K views 11 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
Anyone know where I can find a used set? Or the best place/cheapest place to buy a new set(Ouch)... Thanks for any leads..It is for my 05 450 Yamaha...Smitty

G
#3 ·
Re: Looking for a set of 17" wheel for my 05 Yamaha 450??? (Red)

too bad smitty sold his KTM wheels....

Smitty, we need to ride soon...we'll get Banda and Jacka$$ and the gang to go out in the woods...finally, everyone has dirt bikes...

G
#4 ·
Re: Looking for a set of 17" wheel for my 05 Yamaha 450??? (stlwalnut)

Forgive me forgetting who's who around here. Smitty I know we know each other but I can't seem to put your nickname to a face. Give me a hint...

Wait... the Yammy had me thrown off... Bronce?

G
#5 ·
Re: Looking for a set of 17" wheel for my 05 Yamaha 450??? (chriscap)

Hey Smitty, I forgot to mention when you called the other day that while I know KTM wheels will fit on the Yam with spacer mods & a front caliper reloc bracket, I think you have to have the pre '03 wheels, as KTM changed their axle sizes in '03.

G
#6 ·
Re: Looking for a set of 17" wheel for my 05 Yamaha 450??? (Jacka$$)

To get an 03 or newer front wheel from a KTM to fit you will need a reducer kit that is available from KTM. If I remember I don't think you need spacer mods on the front. The rear wheels from most years will work with spacer mods.

Smitty, do you need some wheels to borrow temporarily or a set to own? I may be able to help you out if you just need to borrow something. I have a front, ready to go with a rotor. I just need to get new spoke kit for my rear along with a rotor.

G
#7 ·
If you want a 5.0 rear rim the stock hubs fit fine and they aren't very expensive.
The front there is no reason tho put on KTM stuff unless you just want to make your life miserable searching for spacers relocation brackets and parts.

For the rear just make a longer spacer on the sprocket side, the same thickness as the sprocket, or a washer if you want to wrestle putting it in and a spare sprocket under the rear sprocket. A 1mm shim under the countershaft works fine in the front. If you don't need your MX wheels this is the way to go then you only need your spokes and rims.

It seems foolish to put KTM stuff on there the axle isn't even the same size, sounds like a lot of problems to me. Not to mention Yamaha hubs are inexpensive.

If you want a 5.5 rear wheel to stock hub then you will have to widen the swing arm 10mm. and go 8mm wider on the axle and sprocket spacers. A propane soldering torch and bottle jack are needed too.

G
#8 ·
Re: (RAD)

RAD, we were just stating what if you already had KTM wheels and wanted them to work on either bike, how would you do it. I agree buying KTM wheels for a Yamaha would be dumb.

G
#10 ·
Re: (chriscap)

Yea true about the KTM Wheels, I thought some people would like some information about what is involved with making the stock Yamaha hubs work with something other than a 4.25 rear rim. I haven't seen anyone volunteering this info so now the sport is going into the mainstream I figured I would throw out some info that hasn't been previously discussed in the open.

Ha ha I should have not used the word foolish, a little weird wording on my part, it just sounded like the topic was headed twards what was cheapest not sure where the KTM came from just seamed like a strange direction to go.

G
#11 ·
Re: (RAD)

Ralph, so you're saying a 5" won't fit on the Yammy without these minor changes. I've ran both 4.25 and 5, and I'm not sure it made one bit of difference. Of course I'm not Mark's speed.

G
#12 ·
Re: (chriscap)

The 5.0 is just some spacers the 5.5 requires a bit of work.

The 5.0 works with the 165 tire instead of a 160 that is what makes it so much better than the 4.25 there is a lot more rubber on the track in the turns. The 5.5 was even one step better but requires swing arm modifications.

If you don't want the chain slices on the rim with 5.0 then the spare sprocket as a spacer is required and longer axle spacer or washer, Both are minor changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.