Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So an acquaintance of mine from another board has been looking around at getting a new steed for some time. Well last week he finally settled on a "new" '99 Monster 900 that has been sitting on the floor of our local dealer for 6 or 7 years. Just to give you some background, I use the term dealer loosely when it comes to the ducati franchise at this place. This dealership is one of these mega dealers with multiple franchises and about as much floor space as a small wal-mart. Suffice to say that their cash flow bread and butter are middle-aged guys looking for metric cruisers on 100% financing. The Ducati's sit in a small corner of this facility and out of the only 5 or 6 ducs on hand, only one is remotely new when it comes to model year. They don't move ducs, they don't care to move ducs.

With that said, this guy agrees to terms with the dealership on this bike and puts down a deposit on this '99 M900. Now keep in mind that his guy is new to ducatis so nothing is going to jump out at him when it comes to buying a 6 year old "new" bike. In to the story come a few duc owners from a duc subforum of another bike site. We all remind him that the valve belts on this bike ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT QUESTION should be replaced on the bike before he signs any sales contract and walks out the door, at dealers costs, not buyers. Fast forward to this morning when he tells the sales guy that he'd like to have the belts replaced before the transaction is completed. Sales guy blows him off and basically gives him the impression that he buys the 6 year old "new" bike as is, or doesn't buy it at all. No negotiating on the belts.

So my question to you guys (and I hope Jason chimes in here as well) is, is it unreasonable for a prospective buyer of a 6 year old "new" ducati to request to have the belts replaced free of charge before the transaction is concluded? It seems to me that any reputable duc dealer would be happy to do this in order to both move a bike that's been sitting on the floor for 6 years, and to prevent the possibility of having to deal with a substantial repair bill should the old belts fail.

Thanks in advance for your

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what other Duc's does these guys have on the floor. I am looking for a new Duc, but don't really like the 999 or 749. I would love to find a new 998S floating around out there.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (jayhunter)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jayhunter »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what other Duc's does these guys have on the floor. I am looking for a new Duc, but don't really like the 999 or 749. I would love to find a new 998S floating around out there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No superbikes. From what I can recall there're three monsters, two SS's, one ST, and one MS. Don't recall the displacements because I don't frequent this establishment very much.

Believe me, you don't want to do business with this dealer. There's good reason why they have close to nill ducati turnover.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (ten~39)

The belts should be replaced, the bike looked over, new battery, etc. If not he will be back for service and soon.

The dealer should be doing all of this on their dime. If they were not smart enough to build the cost into the selling price too bad.

I wish someone would pay me for not remembering stuff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Local Dealer Pulling Out All The Stops To Make A Sale (ten~39)

If the Dealer isn't understanding enough or knowledgable enough to know the belts need to be changed then I would run. Screw the dealership. I would let that bike sit there and rot before I gave them a penny. How could you trust their "Prep work" from when this bike came out of the crate if they don't understand the belts NEED to be changed?

The only way I would buy that bike is if they cut your buddy a stellar deal and he immediately took it to another dealer to have the belts changed and the bike checked over. Otherwise, run......run fast. Give someone the business who deserves it like Section8, or any other Dealers with a good reputation from this board.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Local Dealer Pulling Out All The Stops To Make A Sale (CaliDuc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaliDuc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the Dealer isn't understanding enough or knowledgable enough to know the belts need to be changed then I would run. Screw the dealership. I would let that bike sit there and rot before I gave them a penny. How could you trust their "Prep work" from when this bike came out of the crate if they don't understand the belts NEED to be changed?

The only way I would buy that bike is if they cut your buddy a stellar deal and he immediately took it to another dealer to have the belts changed and the bike checked over. Otherwise, run......run fast. Give someone the business who deserves it like Section8, or any other Dealers with a good reputation from this board.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Local Dealer Pulling Out All The Stops To Make A Sale (ten~39)

He's going to need more than new belts; all fluids, tires (can you say dry rot?) and the belts. If there's any fuel in the gas tank (I hope not) he should look for corrosion in the tank - the fuel filter is probably junk too. I'd tell your buddy to pass, there are lots 900 monsters.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Local Dealer Pulling Out All The Stops To Make A Sale (hubert)

I'd pass on that deal unless I was going to do all those things myself.

If he really wants a Monster, look for a leftover '04 M800 and try to deal on that now that the S2R is out. The 800 feels as fast as the old 900 anyway and he wouldn't be taking the chance on the new 6 year old bike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm the aquaintance in question. It's never had fuel or a battery in it so I'm not concerned about those. Since I'm supposed to pick it up this afternoon I'm sure the newly charged battery is in it and the tank is topped off but that was done no earlier than this morning. Since the bike has never been started, I'm not concerned about the oil. All of the rubber bits I can see including the tires look good but it has been in an air conditioned showroom this entire time. Another saving grace is that since this dealership is ashamed of the Ducatis and BMWs, they are all the way in the back away from the sunlight so there is no concern of UV damage. While I was trying to talk them into changing the belt, they made an interesting point... there is no garantee that the belts on the shelf are any newer than what's on the bike. I doubt this place does much Ducati maintainance. Despite the posible negatives, I've decided I'm going to get it. My risk is pretty low considering that it is coming with a 2-year manufacturer warranty. Of course I am going to take it to KC for service instead of the local guys. My plan is to ride it as much as I can in the next 2 years in order to locate any possible issues.
I really like this bike and I don't think the risks are that great. If it turns out I made a boner of a mistake, I'll let you all know so you can say "I told you so".

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (Aurum)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aurum »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm the aquaintance in question. It's never had fuel or a battery in it so I'm not concerned about those. Since I'm supposed to pick it up this afternoon I'm sure the newly charged battery is in it and the tank is topped off but that was done no earlier than this morning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

One down.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Since the bike has never been started, I'm not concerned about the oil. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Oil ages, just like anything else. I'd change the oil and filter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
All of the rubber bits I can see including the tires look good but it has been in an air conditioned showroom this entire time. Another saving grace is that since this dealership is ashamed of the Ducatis and BMWs, they are all the way in the back away from the sunlight so there is no concern of UV damage. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They'll be hard as rocks, so I'd be careful.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> While I was trying to talk them into changing the belt, they made an interesting point... there is no garantee that the belts on the shelf are any newer than what's on the bike. </TD></TR></TABLE>

True, but belts on a shelf aren't wrapped around belt pulleys and tensioners; the belts on that bike have been tensioned and frozen in their configuration for 6 years (or however long). That's the issue.

Belts are 30 bucks for the pair from ca-cycleworks and take about 2 hours to do on a 2valve bike (if you're going slow).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: (Aurum)

I am sure I will be attacked for this, but I don't think the belts are going to be bad. When the motor is cold the belts are fairly loose and they haven't seen any heat at all. Without UV and temp changes, the tires will be OK too, a little hard, but I doubt you're heading straight to the track. My
says everything will be fine. Enjoy. Flame suit on.....fire away.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why go thorugh the hassle of used bike buying.. with a new bike?

If I buy a new bike, I want it perfect with no doubts.
I think though that since you're getting the factory warranty, you're pretty much as covered as you're going to be with this monster.
Congradulations on your Ducati!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my opinion there are to many older (94-96) Monsters out there to even worry about a 99.
I bought a 94 two years ago with tons of aftermarket parts incl. Marvic mags for 6,000.
I don't think the 99's were all that anyway. Every year the monsters got cheaper and cheaper. If you look at the older bikes the isn't much plastic at all, where as the newer monsters they seemed to make every damn thing out of plastic. Older monsters Rule!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: (Phil 998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phil 998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am sure I will be attacked for this, but I don't think the belts are going to be bad. When the motor is cold the belts are fairly loose and they haven't seen any heat at all. Without UV and temp changes, the tires will be OK too, a little hard, but I doubt you're heading straight to the track. My
says everything will be fine. Enjoy. Flame suit on.....fire away.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your stupid
(I couldn't resist)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: (section8superbike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your stupid
(I couldn't resist)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Brilliant, you said "your stupid" it's you're as in you are. Irony just kills me

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: (Phil 998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phil 998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Brilliant, you said "your stupid" it's you're as in you are. Irony just kills me
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shouldn't that be "Brilliant, you said "your stupid". It's you're as in you are. Irony just kills me."
Unskilled grammar nazis slay me.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: (Bill)

Im nto sayin a thing inkase somewon pikcs up on mi inabilllity to spal.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: (Bill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Shouldn't that be "Brilliant, you said "your stupid". It's you're as in you are. Irony just kills me."
Unskilled grammar nazis slay me.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, it should be as follows:

Brilliant, you said "your stupid". It's "you're" as in "you are".

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: (Rooster)

Punctuation is supposed to go inside quotation marks. Revision #3:

Brilliant, you said "your stupid." It's "you're" as in "you are."

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: (Cider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cider »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Punctuation is supposed to go inside quotation marks. Revision #3:

Brilliant, you said "your stupid." It's "you're" as in "you are."</TD></TR></TABLE>

The above is not a sentence.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts