Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading an article on Soup my mind started thinking......smell the burn!

Many of the MotoGP riders are struggling with setup and are incosistant with results. Do you think our technology has evolved so far now that the worlds best riders are forgetting how to ride a bike that is not "perfect" in it's setup. Have they gotten spoiled to how good the bikes are and can no longer ride past the bike's limits? I mean, surley Rossi can't be THAT much better than EVERYONE else. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of Rossi but is he REALLY that much better or is it his ability to ride past a bikes limit that sets him ahead of the rest of the field. Case in point....A couple of weeks ago, he and Sete BOTH were racing for the lead after passing Colin and Rossi set a new track record ON THE LAST LAP. Surely the setup is gone as the tires had to been grease balls by then. Could that also be why Roberts, Lawson, Spencer....were so good, because their bikes weren't? I sometimes wonder if we have gone too far yet?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Let me "ax" you a question... (manic)

I am not real clear as to what the question is but I think that, like everything else, evolution of both humans (bigger, stronger, faster) and technology (faster, lighter, smarter) naturally lead to ever higher levels of development....just when you think that that is the fastest lap time that a modern motorcycle and rider can ride, three guys rip a lap not .003 seconds faster but 4.3 seconds faster....quantum leaps ahead. When you see Vale and Sete set the fastest laps in history on worn out tires at the end of the race, you know that the fastest lap at that track is not long in being bested.

The downside is that, in order to be the baddest badboy on the block, all the mfr's have lightened their so-called streetbikes (street legal race bikes) so much that they are paper-thin. Even the most incidental "oops" can result in big time damage. So, insurance companies are aware that even the least "oops" is a writeoff so insurance rates have risen to account for that fact.

Technology is fun.....just know that $$$$$$ is part of the factor. Other than that, have fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Let me "ax" you a question... (roadkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am not real clear as to what the question is but I think that, like everything else, evolution of both humans (bigger, stronger, faster) and technology (faster, lighter, smarter) naturally lead to ever higher levels of development....just when you think that that is the fastest lap time that a modern motorcycle and rider can ride, three guys rip a lap not .003 seconds faster but 4.3 seconds faster....quantum leaps ahead. When you see Vale and Sete set the fastest laps in history on worn out tires at the end of the race, you know that the fastest lap at that track is not long in being bested.

The downside is that, in order to be the baddest badboy on the block, all the mfr's have lightened their so-called streetbikes (street legal race bikes) so much that they are paper-thin. Even the most incidental "oops" can result in big time damage. So, insurance companies are aware that even the least "oops" is a writeoff so insurance rates have risen to account for that fact.

Technology is fun.....just know that $$$$$$ is part of the factor. Other than that, have fun. </TD></TR></TABLE>

As far as Rossi goes. ........ Bruce Lee once said something that I never forgot. he said that the worst type of opponent you can have is one that is determined to rip your head off. You may beat him in the confrontation, but he'll most likely rip your head off in the process. (Or something like that)

Basically, in order for somebody to beat Rossi, they will need that same unwaivering determination. Some have come close, but in the end, no one keeps it up. They need to be hungry win or lose. And if they lose, they can't develop an attitude of just settling. That's what everyone has done in the AMA against Mladin, and that's what everyone has done in Moto GP against Rossi.

The only series where they didn't say die yet is WSBK. Everyone is determined to take race wins away from Troy Corser.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My question is more about riders and rider talent. Basically, were the riders of yesteryear actually better riders than we have now? Is the extream technology the reason for riders going so fast these days...and (as a point of discussion) would the riders from yesteryear do better than current riders on todays machinery?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Let me "ax" you a question... (manic)

Rossi is simply a better rider than anyone else in the paddock at this time. In the movie "Faster" you can see the MotoGP doctor hooked up a heart rate monitor to Rossi and Biaggi and while Rossi's heart rate never changed, Biaggi's was all over the place. Rossi also has a way of explaining to the engineers what's going on so it can be corrected. He is simply amazing and worth the money but I do admit I would love to see someone else win. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Let me "ax" you a question... (Turbo329)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo329 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The only series where they didn't say die yet is WSBK. Everyone is determined to take race wins away from Troy Corser.</TD></TR></TABLE>

speaking of Corser...Im new to the game...just how long has that guy been around??

hey, with the way Corser and Mladin/spies seem to win everything walking away it makes me wonder if maybe there should just be a gsxr world cup and then have the ama and wsbk work with the other manufacturers...lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Let me "ax" you a question... (999)

I've been watching Rossi for a while and while I am not a fan, I cannot help but conclude it is clear this is the greatest motorcycle racer the world has ever seen because he is strong in nearly all the following areas:

- Bike control: almost no one can ride the bike as well as Rossi when it is not running at its best with worn tyres, different fuel loads, etc.

- The ability to tell what the bike is actually doing- most riders will change one or maybe 2 parameters at a time, to slowly work toward an ideal setup for a given track. Engineers who have worked with him are astounded when he asks for 5 or 6 and actually improves the bike. This ability gives him the lead when practicing to get the bike set up quickly.

- To consider the race as a whole and not as a series of laps. It's rare that you see Rossi winning by anything more than he needs to. He knows that he can run faster but if he does, he increases his chances of crashing.

- He learns from his opponents during a race. Rossi doesn't show his hand unnecessarily but despite his awesome talent, he is still humble enough to learn from his opponents during a race when most of the others are simply thinking of maintaining or extending his position. Other riders are faster than him at certain parts of every track. He knows this and is prepared to see whether he can learn something which he can use.

- He knows how to destroy his opposition mentally. Just when they all thought they had a chance with him switching to Yamaha- he rammed it down their throats. All his antics although they appear childish are aimed a making the other riders question themselves and start going down dead ends. Like in Qatar, he saw that Sete was basically a decent guy who didn't like being seen to do something unfair- and he used this despite the fact he probably quite liked Sete.

A MotoGP weekend for Rossi is," I have 3.8 sessions to get the race setup and 5 minutes to get on the front row. That is all I and the others have and all I need". Being able to set the bike up quickest and using the most amount of time by leaving his qualifying lap till last, he has an advantage before the race even begins.

The technical knowledge and feel he has cannot be overstated because they are developing prototype bikes and the direction in which to go to go faster is very rarely obvious. When I attended the Australian Superbike School (From Code's California one), the Chief Riding Instructor, Steve Brouggy said,"Motorcycle riding is not an intellectual pursuit." I think that Valentino has just shown otherwise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (manic)

I would love to know how Rossi would have done against the likes of Rainey, Schwantz, Lawson and Doohan. Hell, Rainey getting paralyzed nearly killed GP. I know it wasn't as much fun to watch for me until KRJR won some races and a championship.

I think one of Rossi's biggest strengths is in his development ability, he knows how to tell them what to fix and in what order he wants it fixed. He also never makes a bad tire selection for a race.

I think that in the days of Rainey the bikes were more unruly and more unreliable, they had more mechanical DNF's then versus now. The factory's are spending alot more on R&D for the time being also, it will be interesting to see if Ducati and Kawasaki hang around or if they will abandon GP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts