Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the wifes ugly arse stock blinkers on her monster with some cool LED units. They look cool, but they dont blink!
They flash once per attempt and that is it. What I am thinking is the normal filament bulbs had a higher resistance than the LED units, therefor the new LED's dont draw enough current to keep the flasher flashing??? Thats my theory atleast. If anyone has any insite on how to fix this I would love to hear it! Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: LED Blinkers don't blink. What gives? (CuStOm)

You need resistors.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hella makes a variable load flasher relay.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: LED Blinkers don't blink. What gives? (hbliam)

Wow.
Anyone know what resistance is required? I'm thinking a couple Kohms. If anyone has done this....let me know what value worked.
Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I put 2 each 1 watt / 33 ohms per side on my 998.
I have LED brake lights, turn signal conversion into braklights, and i have really small turnsignals up front.
They still blink faster then with the original stuff on it and normal when the brake is applied , but they work either way.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: LED Blinkers don't blink. What gives? (998)

Thanks 998. Funny think about this situation is that most people get an increased flash rate when going to LED. I decreased. Everything ran fine untill the fourth one was installed. I'll run to Radioshack and get some resistors today and try it out. Thanks again.
Keith

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (drthompson65)

I filled with BF-1W80 after the new blinkers were installed. I checked the level periodically throughout troubleshooting to ensure proper bulb lubrication was indeed not an issue.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (CuStOm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CuStOm »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I filled with BF-1W80 after the new blinkers were installed. I checked the level periodically throughout troubleshooting to ensure proper bulb lubrication was indeed not an issue.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

But did you use the synthetic stuff? :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can get a flasher on Ebay from TMI led, or something like that. I had to reverse the +/-, but other than that it's plug 'n play

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: (CuStOm)

Hey Custom - when you get this working post some pictures. Would love to see them..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: (drthompson65)

Will do. I am still in the process of moving. I need to find the closest radio shack. I am going to try the resistors before the flasher. $1 vs $20. Oh...btw they do flash but only when the bike is running interestingly enough. The problem now is that three of the LEDS from the OPPOSITE blinker flash when the blinkers are on in addition to all LED's in the appropriate blinkers flashing. The polarity is correct the whole way through too (LEDs-aka diodes wont work when reversed biased). This futher leads me to not enough resistance in the circuit. Getting current leakage.
We'll see! Post picks when done. They are very visible fyi.
Ciao

1 - 13 of 13 Posts