Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use that Coach leather cleaner and conditioner for my jacket and pants and it works great, but if you read the instructions, it says not for "glove soft" leather (or something to that effect). The palms of my gloves get very stiff from repeatedly getting sweat on then drying out.

Anyone have any tips to prolong the life and suppleness of the palm leather?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My wife has Horses, and we use a product called "Passier" on all of her leather pieces. I think it is pretty much animal fat, but it works great! Put it on, let it soak in for a while, wipe it off and you're done. You can get it at most tack stores. This is the quickest link I could find:
http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/....html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Leather cleaning ---- how do you do gloves? (sm0kimOn)

Saddle soap then neatsfoot oil. Take it easy on the oil first time, you can always re-oil.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disclaimer: this works for me but it might not be recommended by all glove companies. Sometimes this makes dye come out, sort of like when you're caught in a storm and your hands turn red or blue.

I want the salts and other sweaty stuff out of the leather so I wash the gloves before I preserve them. Do one glove at a time. Fill it up with cool water at the sink and then close-off the glove gauntlet with one hand while the other hand gently squeezes the glove so pressure forces the water through the leather. Repeat a few times. Now you have the leather wet and saturated.

Then add a small capful of very mild soap (Woolite) to the inside of the glove, fill with water, shake it up, and repeat the above procedure. The soapy solution will work its way through the leather. When it's coming through, stop and use your fingers to massage all the dirty areas. Add a little more Woolite on the outside surfaces and massage. Do not use a brush because you can damage the leather. Use your fingers and let time work for you. Force some of the soapy solution through the leather to get all the crap out of the leather. You'll be surprised how much dirt comes out!

When they're absolutely clean, rinse and rinse and rinse until there's nothing but clean water moving through the leather. Force clean water through the leather to force the soap out.

Do the other glove. Then lay the gloves on a towel and allow to naturally dry for a day or two.

When they're completely dry they'll be clean and hard. That's when you apply a leather conditioner to the entire glove. Take your time and don't use too much.

You'll end up with clean, preserved glove. I do this once or twice a year and so far my gloves have lasted for years and years.

I seem to remember a deerskin glove company called Thurlow recommending this procedure. Works for me.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Leather cleaning ---- how do you do gloves? (DanST4)

Dianese leather cleaner followed by Vanson's leather balm

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Leather cleaning ---- how do you do gloves? (DocHolliday)

Step 1, install on hands
Step 2, ride
Step 3, remove from hands
Step 4, put in closet
Step 5, repeat from step 1. After 2 years of repeating this process, just about the time when seams loosen up its probably time for new gloves despite enduring integrity of leather - see step 6
Step 6, buy new gloves

Aren't gloves wear items like brake pads, tires and shoes? I don't think they were ever meant to last for ever. After 3 years or so I am tired of them anyway.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Leather cleaning ---- how do you do gloves? (Nick D.)

My gloves (Held) are 'Roo & I believe that the instructions explicitly stated not to use leather conditioner on them... I guess I need to find that dang tag to verify...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Leather cleaning ---- how do you do gloves? (DanST4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DanST4 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I seem to remember a deerskin glove company called Thurlow recommending this procedure. Works for me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Dan, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I have a pair of four year old Techniks that are in great shape ..... except for the funky smell inside!!! I'll be trying out your procedure on Sunday night, after my ride!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Leather cleaning ---- how do you do gloves? (Bill)

Put them in the washer with a little soap. Then when they come on let them dry and apply a cheap store brand lotion with lanolin in it until they are soft. I use this process on my race leathers and gloves and it works wonders.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Leather cleaning ---- how do you do gloves? (Nick D.)

Nick, that's the procedure I <U>have</U> been using.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Leather cleaning ---- how do you do gloves? (sm0kimOn)

You riders that can buy "off the shelf" are lucky. Even XXXL gloves usually don't fit so I'm forced to go with custom-made gloves. And I need them to last. Same with leather jackets and pants. It took me 2 years and 6 trips to Vanson to get a leather jacket made that actually fits (and it still isn't right but I'll take it). And boots: size 15. Bummer.

It's funny. I go into a store and the salesperson comes up to me and asks if he/she can show me anything. I reply "I'll buy every single item in this store that fits me".

I walk out empty handed.

Modified by DanST4 at 2:53 PM 7/15/2005

1 - 11 of 11 Posts