Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey dudes
how do you guy's launch your rc from the starting grid without doing massive wheelies, i need some help or tips but i need step by step info.
greg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: launching your bike at start line-(racer please) (vtwist)

This may sound a little strange but go to the local 1/4 mile track when they have open bracket racing it's like 10 bucks up here and give it a shot same principle with the lights plus you get a reaction time. A good way to practice and try different tecnics,I dont race but it sounds good to me

Off topic you coming up to the WCRTD ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: launching your bike at start line-(racer please) (twotone)

Hey Greg,
I was taught one way and I haven't switched my technique in two seasons. I had 3 great starts, a good start, and 1 bad start this weekend (wheelied). I am sure there are other ways but this is what I do;
Our starts are; 2, 1, sideways, flag.
At 2.- Face shield down, bike in gear, weight forward, both feet flat on ground.
At 1.- I set my RPM to about 7K (heart pounding at this point).
Sideways.- Looking for any indication the flag will wave (Drops a shoulder, elbow starts moving etc.
Flag.- I try to keep the throttle steady and regulate just the clutch. I try to keep the front wheel on the ground and launch as quick as I can. Once the clutch is fully released you can roll on the throttle and hit 2nd gear at redline (careful, sometimes it comes up in 2nd as well).

It's simple and works well for me (most of the time).

How have you been doing it?
Hoov.
CRA # 200

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my secret to a good hole shot (drag racing exp but should transfer):
Pull clutch leeever in then slowly let back out until you just feel it start to engage, try to keep the leever pulled to JUST before it is engaging. Bring RPM up to a point where you will not stall the bike when you quickly yet smmmooothly release the clutch all the way for the start. It typically does not have to be very high in the RPM range to do this. Experiment and find what works easiest/best for you. You've got to be adding gas as your clutch is engaging to keep from stalling, and to get as much power to the back wheel as possible. But not too much too fast so as to cause unwanted wheelies. A mild wheelie is OK, and with higher powered bikes like the RC they are sometimes unavoidable. Also position your upper body a bit more over the front end to keep weight to the front. This helps reduce wheelieage.
While you're feathering the clutch+throttle, try to maintain a constant rpm. Hope this helps.

Go down to your local drag strip on a friday night or to an abandoned industrial complex, and have at it! let the clutch cool some every now and again, as it'll get wicked hot from all the slippy-age. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: launching your bike at start line-(racer please) (Hoovenater)

VTWIST

I agree with DUSTINS here (except you're disengaging the clutch). I usually keep RPM's around 4k - 4500 on the twin so I can get the clutch out as quickly as I can. Also, keep you body / weight forward, and I keep my left foot ready @ the shifter. I don't recommend trying to run it up all the way to redline in first as if you hit the revlimiter in first gear, it will be like hitting the brakes and you don't want that as you might get hit. You'll probably carry a little bit of a wheelie. A few inches is good as it means all your bike's weight is on the rear.
This is the method that works good for me, but your local dragstrip is a good place to practice, I guess.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: launching your bike at start line-(racer please) (WERA 31)

Depending on your gearing, you may also be able to launch from second gear.
Not from personal experience but I've heard it done before.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take it to a drag strip and practice. You can watch other guys who are experienced and pick up their techniques. I like to position the chin bar of my helmet out over the edge of the windscreen and balance with my toes just before launch, but it's kind of a personal thing.
It's really worth it to practice starts, though. It is NEVER easier to pass somebody than it is when they are sitting dead still!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (oljackboy)

Assuming you don't chicken out and get re-passed going into the first corner

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Practice! Its not the bike its Technique..........
Do the friday night drags.
Keep the left foot on the peg let the right hang and body forward until your settled.Its all in keeping the Rpms in the power and bringing the bike up to that point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts