Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know how many of you guys have been to Laguna Seca for the WSBK races in recent years, but figured I would throw this out anyway. For those of you travelling to Monterey for the first time to see an event like this....prepare yourself.

Only one word can describe what traffic is going to be like, "In-phucking-sane". I have attended the WSBK races the last few years at Laguna and could not believe the traffic going to and coming from the track. I drove there one time in my cage, and learned the hard way. I always rode the bike every year after that. To those of you not from Cali that will be attending, remember that it is LEGAL here to lane share/ Split lanes. It will save you hours getting back to your hotels if you are on your bike. This will be a life changing experience for many. You will see more sport bikes on the roads in a weekend than most have seen in 10 years combined.

If you are in a rental cage then make sure you leave extra early to get to the track & make sure you leave either early or late to leave the track. (You WILL be sitting as if you are in a parking lot all the way back to Monterey.)

When I attended last year, traffic was hideous. The event was no where near sold out and I shaved 4-5 hours off my trip home on the bike. (I live 2 3/4 hours away from the track) I simply cannot imagine the track being sold out for General Admission like they are saying. If this is true, the traffic will be mind boggling, both off the track grounds and anywhere 50 miles around it.

I just wanted to give some of you that aren't from around the area a heads up. If you are going to be in a cage, prepare to be sitting ALOT. If you are on a bike, then take advantage of lane splitting and prepare yourself for some white knuckle riding if you aren't used to it. Just remember that if you do lane split, don't blast between everyone else.(Common sense) CHP will be in full force and they will only write you if you are hauling ass between cars. (10-15mph faster than flow of traffic is about where you want to be.) Odds are you will just fall in behind other bikes and become part of the snake going between traffic.

Hopefully this will help some of you for your first time out. Oh and by the way, if any of you are going to be travelling in the Valley (San Joaquin Valley), it is going to be 102-104 all weekend long. Just a friendly heads up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Laguna Seca MotoGP (CaliDuc)

CaliDuc, A hearty thank you for the heads-up you provided. The traffic part is the ONLY thing I'm not looking forward to. We're staying at the Embassy Suites - Monterey, and the last time we were out, there was a shuttle that ran from this hotel out to the track. I'm going to call the hotel today to see if this is running this year. I know this has no bearing on the wait in & out, but it does leave the driving to someone else, and just makes sense. I'd encourage others to do the same if you're hoteling/not on a bike in Monterey. See you there!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Laguna Seca MotoGP (Sogno)

When I went 3 years ago, I stayed in Salinas and took the public transit bus, which wasn't to bad of a ride.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Laguna Seca MotoGP (rossi46)

Either bike or bus I would think would be the way to go. Unless you get there VERY early, plan on walking a good mile or two to get in. It isnt bad in the morning because the weather is cool and you are stoked to see the races. At days end, it is hot and everyone will be like pissed off cattle.

Traffic won't be like the WSBK. It is hard to imagine how many people will be there. General Admission SOLD OUT. That is a $hitload of people. It is a big track and spectator area, so with general admission sold out, that should give you a clear heads up on what to expect.

One last thing, rmember that even if you guys ride the bike but can't get a spot to park on Ducati Island, you can still check your gear in at the hospitality tent.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Laguna Seca MotoGP (CaliDuc)

I was gonna come over but its my turn to mow the lawn
!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Laguna Seca MotoGP (Monstaman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monstaman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was gonna come over but its my turn to mow the lawn
!</TD></TR></TABLE>
If youre mowing,
That means I can go

How long will it take me to ride the 749 there?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Laguna Seca MotoGP (kell749)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kell749 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If youre mowing,
That means I can go

How long will it take me to ride the 749 there?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You would be better off with a boat straight from your house at the moment !

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Laguna Seca MotoGP (Monstaman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monstaman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You would be better off with a boat straight from your house at the moment !
</TD></TR></TABLE>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts