Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn, this just sucks. We paid $220 for our room there this year. Looks like we will be staying elsewhere next year.....if we go. That is too damned much.

Monterey Madness: Mortgage The House To Rent A Bed?
by dean adams
Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Thinking about hitting the 2006 USGP at Laguna Seca? Going to be staying in Monterey? If one local hotel's prices for the USGP event next July are indicative of what it's going to cost to stay in Monterey, you'd better make sure you bring your wallet. Or, perhaps, start the loan application process now.

Reader Andrew Rosenfeld alerted us this morning after he called the hotel he stayed at this year for the USGP and tried to book a room for next year.

He was told that the hotel is now requiring a three-night minimum and the rate—for a double-queen-sized-bed room—would be $440 a night. Yes, you read that correctly: $440 a night or $1320 just for a hotel room for the USGP weekend.

We called the hotel, the Quality Inn on Munras Ave in Monterey, and were quoted the same rates for the USGP weekend.

Soup's longtime Webmaster/Photographer Tim Huntington reports that the Monterey hotel he has used yearly for Laguna is now requiring to be paid in advance (by August 25 2005), a three-night minimum and has also instituted a 90-day cancellation policy for the USGP weekend. Meaning he'll have to cancel in April if he has a family emergency and can't go to the race in July.

ENDS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: laguna seca 2006 hotel blues (roadkill)

A lot of the motels are being bought up by corporations and travel agencies. The ones that aren't, are charging insane rates. A Super 8 in Monterey is charging $349 a night.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: laguna seca 2006 hotel blues (JJ_008)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JJ_008 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A Super 8 in Monterey is charging $349 a night.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it's the one I stayed in this year, it sure isn't worth it. It wasn't worth the $115/night we payed. I've never seen a website that makes a total dump look so nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

"Soup's longtime Webmaster/Photographer Tim Huntington reports that the Monterey hotel he has used yearly for Laguna is now requiring to be paid in advance (by August 25 2005), a three-night minimum and has also instituted a 90-day cancellation policy for the USGP weekend. Meaning he'll have to cancel in April if he has a family emergency and can't go to the race in July."

Even if you pre-pay, they'll still manage to cancel your reservation 2 weeks before the race weekend, believe me, they'd find a way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: laguna seca 2006 hotel blues (Sbk_Drew)

Just proves PEOPLE SUCK...
It's not about the sport anymore...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have been looking at making reservations, but a lot of places won't take them until Oct.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: laguna seca 2006 hotel blues (tattooskickass)

I did a rate and availability check for the Motel 6 I stayed at and the rates are the same online. It's prob a diff story if you call though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just booked a room at Motel 6 SALINAS SOUTH.
Thanks to backlash.
Actually ones in Marina and Salinas N were full. They still have rooms at Monterey, Salinas S and Watsonville.
I called Vacation Center Reservations for a room earlier and they said room starts from 215 per night.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: laguna seca 2006 hotel blues (Baasinator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Baasinator »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If it's the one I stayed in this year, it sure isn't worth it. It wasn't worth the $115/night we payed. I've never seen a website that makes a total dump look so nice.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think we stayed at the same Super 8. The one of Freemont, right? It sucked, but they are not the ones asking $349 a night.

On another note, I am staying at the Motel 6 in S. Salinas for $49 a night.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: laguna seca 2006 hotel blues (JJ_008)

wouldn't be better if a group of people rend on of the vacation homes for 5 days?

Modified by Giannis at 6:58 AM 7/30/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: laguna seca 2006 hotel blues (kiwigav)

just a little note here ,,,
if you book your room ( reservation ) ,, might as well pay and get a conformation
# and have a receipt e - mailed or snail mailed , and check in once or twice a month as the event gets closer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: laguna seca 2006 hotel blues (04749s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 04749s »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just a little note here ,,,
if you book your room ( reservation ) ,, might as well pay and get a conformation
# and have a receipt e - mailed or snail mailed , and check in once or twice a month as the event gets closer
</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's a good idea, my brother did that this year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (bung)

I guess there's a pretty fine line between "price gouging" and "charging what the market will bear".

If people continue to fill hotels at $400 a night, who's to say that isn't the "fair price"?

I once had to get a hotel room here in Tucson on the spur of the moment when my water well pump at home failed. I pulled into a relatively decent hotel nearby at about 11:00pm. There were maybe four cars in the entire parking lot. I asked about rooms, and they told me it would be $130 for the night! I laughed, and I told the guy I'd give him 50 bucks. They said no way, and after some discussion they refused to go under $130 at all, not even $100!

Unbelievable. They'd rather not sell the room at all than take $100 for it, late at night, when they were basically empty!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (AZ Scott)

just for argument's sake, what's a hotel room go for at a NON U.S. MotoGP? lets say at Jerez or Suzuka?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts