Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can't decide. I know some of you guys have the SMC already. the only difference I found was the Duke is 10lbs heavier.
I need it mostly for intown duty with occasional track day and backroad ride.
625s are hard to come by, and there is a sweet used duke not far from me. and I kinda like the headlight on the duke. so I'm kinda torn.
any opinions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: KTM 625 vs Duke II? (isaltyko)

In '03 the lc4 motor recieved some upgrades like the "high flow" head an some other minor stuff.

I'm not sure about the Duke, but most of the older lc4 bikes used a BST carb and the new 625 is stock with the FCR that used to be an after the fact upgrade.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: KTM 625 vs Duke II? (JoeKher)

It kind of depends on how you plan to ride. The duke is a little better suited to long(er) rides. Still not a long distance bike, but more so than the 625 SMC. The seat is softer, the tank is larger. That being said, I have the 625 SMC and it is great. The main differences are gearing (16:38 stock on the 625 SMC), the high flow head (which Dukes after a certain year also have), and the FCR-41 carb, which the 625 SMC has and the Duke does not. The FCR offers amazing throttle response and is a great addition. For the record, the 625 is more than 10 lb lighter than the Duke. I have weighed my bike, full of gas and ready to ride, at 330lb. I believe the Duke is at least 25 lb heavier. Both are great bikes, you'll be happy with either.

Oh, one final thought... suspension is different. I believe the Duke's travel is 5 to 6 inches, where the 625 SMC is over 10. If you like to or plan to jump much, the SMC is the way to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts