Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2005 RC51
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I didn't know where else to turn. My bike is starting to knock at low RPM's. Either at idle or when I'm traveling any any gear but at low RPM.

My bike has just over 19k miles and I've read somewhere that all RC's should have a valve adjustment after 15k. Is this true?

If I need to adjust the valves, how much of a pain in the ass is it?

·
:rolleyes
305 Posts
A "tick" would be more indicative of a valve adjustment. A "knock" is usually indicative of something much worse. Let me know if you need an engine!:woot:

·
2005 RC51
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A "tick" would be more indicative of a valve adjustment. A "knock" is usually indicative of something much worse. Let me know if you need an engine!:woot:
Maybe I'm describing it wrong, it's more like a hiccup or a internal misfire.
:(

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Could be bad gas at the pumps? I had this happen a few times already...most recently a week or so ago. The RC would have a quick stall/hicup/backfire (just one) and wouldn't skip a beat afterwards. Been putting in 91 octane and the problem has not come back for about a week.

valve adjustment?? what's that??:D

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Could be bad gas at the pumps? I had this happen a few times already...most recently a week or so ago. The RC would have a quick stall/hicup/backfire (just one) and wouldn't skip a beat afterwards. Been putting in 91 octane and the problem has not come back for about a week.

valve adjustment?? what's that??:D
I agree, let's look at the simpler solution before.
Refuel in a different station and see if it goes away.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Hey guys,
I didn't know where else to turn. My bike is starting to knock at low RPM's. Either at idle or when I'm traveling any any gear but at low RPM.

My bike has just over 19k miles and I've read somewhere that all RC's should have a valve adjustment after 15k. Is this true?

If I need to adjust the valves, how much of a pain in the ass is it?
WOW!

Hey SAIED,

I had just BLOWN UP writting this big thing about: NOT have a Owners Man. for your RC51s?! Approx. 26 bucks, that's $26.00 if you didn't get one,.. when buying your RC. And You (again NOT just You SAIED)Should/NEED to have a Service Man. if you're into working on your RC51s! In other words>:rtfm

And decided it wasn't fare to Blow Up on YOu...:banghead So I erased it.;)

How's Your OIL level?
Don't let her idle under 900 RPM's:twocents

Next:> What fuel are you using? If you're not using High test... Try that and let us know what happens;)
I don't know why,.. but Mine runs Awesome on Reg., every once in a while I'll throw in the middle grade. I can't even remember the last time I ran High Test... however, it seems others really NEED to run High Test!...?

I Hope this Helps.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
very good point about the idle adjustment needs to be about 1k or above..I also have little knocks getting of the line and engine stumbling at lower rpm from my experinces.

And again, I also run 87. Only run higher if I have problems, going uphill(Tahoe), or heading to the track, otherwise it has always been 87 octane.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts