Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not quite sure how to describe this. Generally, after I start the engine, I let it warm up enough until it just starts to register engine temp before I head out (usually the time it takes me to put my helmet and gloves on). Sometimes, right as I initially give the bike a little gas, I will feel/hear what I think is some type of engine knock. It is just one knock, and then it is over with. It almost sounds like someone with a little sledge hammer is inside and hits the side of the engine case. It usually happens before I even get on the bike, when I bring the engine revs up to just over 2K rpm - just to smooth things out.

I haven't taken the bike in to be checked because it doesn't always happen - maybe 1 out of every 5 days in the morning. Only on one occasion has it happend after the bike was fully warmed up. It was 90+ deg out, and I was dealing with some stop-and-go traffic.

Any ideas? Thanks,

- Kurt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: knock? (kurt)

I think I know what you're talkin about, it really does only happen once in awhile. I drove a few people nuts trying to describe this single knock noise and the best advice given was this..... "just ride the thing and if it grenades the new litre bikes are looking really sweet"

Seriously, I wouldn't worry.
Mine makes all kinds of mechanical noises and it runs like a bull.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine does the same if I chug her in 6th gear on local streets. Maybe it's not enough tension on the chain to bear the load of the engine. So I just cruise in 4th or 5th locally.

Drive lash?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: knock? (Darth Humungus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Darth Humungus »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Seriously, I wouldn't worry.
Mine makes all kinds of mechanical noises and it runs like a bull. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, the bike is definitely at it's smoothest when ridden in anger.

- Kurt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

It's just cold engine temperatures. Is the choke still out abit or all the way in?

When the cylinders are still cold the fuel doesn't burn as efficiently and the cylinder will partially flood causing a slight miss in the cylinder on a rare occasion.

As long as it's not doing this at normal operating temps it shouldn't be an issue.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: knock? (RSRC)

Same thing happened to me. Right after a switched from the Spectro 10-40 that came in the bike from the dealer to Mobil 1 15-50 (old red cap). Freaked me out. I have heard it while idleing and while in first gear. Of course I haven't heard it since I just changed the spark plugs.

How many miles do you have on them and which ones are you using? Denso or NGK?

I didn't notice a performance improvement after I changed the plugs and my old ones looked really good, like they could still have been used another 1000 mi +, but since they were a PITA to get out of the engine, I wasn't going to reuse old plugs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: knock? (RSRC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RSRC »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's just cold engine temperatures. Is the choke still out abit or all the way in?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think the choke has been all the way in each time I have heard it - but the engine was still just warming up.

- Kurt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: knock? (cdrchode)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cdrchode »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Same thing happened to me. Right after a switched from the Spectro 10-40 that came in the bike from the dealer to Mobil 1 15-50 (old red cap). Freaked me out. I have heard it while idleing and while in first gear. Of course I haven't heard it since I just changed the spark plugs.

How many miles do you have on them and which ones are you using? Denso or NGK?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I still have the stock spark plugs. I just picked the bike up 6 months ago and only have 3500 miles on it. I have been using Motul 10-40 since the first oil change. The bike was a new 2003 and had been sitting at the dealership for a long time (they sold it to me for $9K and gave me $600 store credit!).

- Kurt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Some people on the forums say that they notice improved performance from 4000 mile sparkplug changes. I got the knock around 8500 miles on the stock plugs. I was being lazy and didn't get around to changing them until 9k. I haven't heard the knocking sound since, but I have only put about 200 miles on the bike since the plug change. I can't detect a a change in how the bike runs with the new plugs, they are the same NGKs that were in the bike from the factory. I figure if I don't hear the knock for 2-3k miles the plugs might be the thing.

Hearing knocking noises from an engine never makes me feel good. I have always used premium pump gas, but I wonder if it could be bad gas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
miner clitches with the fuel injection. Similar to when your hard skips a beat every once in a while.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: knock? (cdrchode)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cdrchode »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hearing knocking noises from an engine never makes me feel good. I have always used premium pump gas, but I wonder if it could be bad gas? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I might give new plugs a shot. I have experimented with different gas stations - no difference.

- Kurt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (andres)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andres »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">miner clitches with the fuel injection. Similar to when your hard skips a beat every once in a while.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Speak for yourself my hard never skips a beat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (Hams51)

You can get yours into 6th around town! Holy crap! I don't get it into 6th on the highway some times!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Splangy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Splangy »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can get yours into 6th around town! Holy crap! I don't get it into 6th on the highway some times!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah wow..good lord.... I cant even think about putting my bike into 6th until im going 80+

1 - 15 of 15 Posts