Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of inspections go on after a professional motorcycle race? Do the motors on each of the podium bikes get torn down and inspected after a race? Just curious.:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,644 Posts
Rocket51 said:
What kind of inspections go on after a professional motorcycle race? Do the motors on each of the podium bikes get torn down and inspected after a race? Just curious.:confused:
The only way you are getting torn down in AMA is to finish in front of a factory team. You must be cheating.
 

·
I'll fix it.
Joined
·
2,249 Posts
Usually the sanctioning body will require a teardown if a racer is obviously faster, and some will do random teardowns on top 3 finishers, but usually another racer has to protest you. BUT, if they tear your bike down and find everything legal, the protester has to shell out for the cost of the teardown, which isnt cheap....and most orgs require the $$ as a deposit before they will even start.
 

·
Enormous Member
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
In AMA the Supersport and Superstock bikes are the most closely scrutineered(sp?) on the grid. Post race the bikes are weighed and in some cases the motors are "scoped" however a full tear down is rare unless their is a formal protest.

A few years back the Hooters Superstock bikes where measured and the frames came back as "non-legal" and their was a big brewha with the rider (Jason Pridmore) being disqualified with the points from that meet being retracted and a suspension imposed. Jake Zemke was DQ'd back in his rookie year when the cams on his cbr 600 where out of spec.

It happens but not to much in the Superbikes. There are actually less rules for the Superbikes so they are not as hamstrung as the "stock" classes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies.

Dezmo said:
Usually the sanctioning body will require a teardown if a racer is obviously faster...
Like Mladin and Spies have been all year? I'm in awe of the dominance of Team Yoshimura Suzuki this season. The fact that the Gixxers would have qualified on the Moto GP grid at Laguna is unbelievable!

In NASCAR, they say if you're not cheating, you're not winning. I wonder what technological edge the guys racing motorcycles try to take advantage of?
 

·
I'll fix it.
Joined
·
2,249 Posts
Rocket51 said:
Like Mladin and Spies have been all year? I'm in awe of the dominance of Team Yoshimura Suzuki this season. The fact that the Gixxers would have qualified on the Moto GP grid at Laguna is unbelievable!
Since when has the Mladin/Suzuki/Yosh combo not dominated? After all, he does have 6 Titles.
Granted they've had a good year, but I doubt they are doing anything too sinister in the motor shop. I'm sure if any of the other teams felt they were, they would file a protest (I wonder how yosh would take that, anybody remember the claimed forks fiasco?)

and honestly, the Yosh bikes dont seem to be that much faster....watching mladin come thru the chicane at road atlanta (from the T4 cornerworker station :rockon) it was obvious how much faster mat and a few other riders were...no horsepower excess needed there...


Wait, why am I defending matfuckinmladin?
He cheats! thats it! he runs NOS! he should be kicked out of the series!:woot:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Dezmo said:
Granted they've had a good year, but I doubt they are doing anything too sinister in the motor shop. I'm sure if any of the other teams felt they were, they would file a protest (I wonder how yosh would take that, anybody remember the claimed forks fiasco?)
I remember Honda got that claiming rule struck PDQ after they lost those forks, and something else. A motor, or whole bike, 2 years running.
 

·
Geez. Some people...
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
stk0308 said:
I remember Honda got that claiming rule struck PDQ after they lost those forks, and something else. A motor, or whole bike, 2 years running.
You must be thinking of a different fiasco.

Dezmo was referring to a privateer racer who claimed a set of Yoshimura's forks - which he was entitled to do by rule - and Yosh was so pissed off, they took a pair of pliers to the forks and gouged them up beyond repair before delivering them to the privateer. Completely classless and unprofessional. The exact opposite of what everyone makes them out to be.

I still have a hard time respecting that team and its riders...

There's never been a time when a racer could claim an entire bike. At one time, the AMA itself could claim a bike, and auction it off to riders who had participated in the race the bike was in. Of course, if you were the rider who bought said bike from the AMA, forget ever having a chance to ride for the team from which the bike was claimed. Same goes if you ever claimed parts from these teams...

Ironic about the claiming rules. They were designed to limit how much factory teams would spend on parts. Supposedly, if a privateer could claim, say, your exhaust system for $1000, teams wouldn't tend to use exhausts that cost more than $1000. But they did anyway. So then, when a guy would claim that $20,000 uber-exotic factory exhaust system for $1000, he was threatened and harassed by the factory team in question.

This is pretty much why the claiming rules went away. It wasn't good for business. :rolleyes:
 

·
Anger managment patient
Joined
·
3,474 Posts
True a formal protest is all that is required for a tear down. That said if all is right the protestor must pay for the reassembly materials i.e. gaskets and such. Other things are tested more dilegently. Like fuel octane, frame geometry, and weight.

The claiming rule was written to make the field level. Because no one wanted their bike swapped. However durring the 77 AMA motocross nationals a rider used this rule to claim one of Yamahas Ti framed works machines. The rule was removed the following season. However this was replaced with the production frame requirement and min weight spec and now only susoension can be claimed but it will cost ya 7500 for forks and 2500 for shocks. Limits are in place so you can only claim once a season and you can only have stuff claimed once every 4 rounds. This was bolstered by the addition that all componentry must be availble for purchase via open market. Limited quantities have still kept the unobtainium parts out of the hands of true privateers.
 

·
Enormous Member
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
Some Claiming still takes place. The forks off of Aaron Yates GSXR 600 that he raced at Sears point a few years back where claimed by Jason Chissum.

The Rule is still in place in the 2005 AMA rules book. It is the actual implementation that is rare.
 

·
I'll fix it.
Joined
·
2,249 Posts
kiwigav said:
Didnt Miggy DuHamel lose a CBR600 to a privateer a few years back, it was a complete bike wasnt it?
IIRC, It was the bike Miguel had won the Daytona 600SS race with, and cory west rode it the next race and finished well down in the pack on it :D

Too bad they couldnt claim some of Miggy's talent :notworthy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
AZ Scott said:
You must be thinking of a different fiasco.

Dezmo was referring to a privateer racer who claimed a set of Yoshimura's forks - which he was entitled to do by rule - and Yosh was so pissed off, they took a pair of pliers to the forks and gouged them up beyond repair before delivering them to the privateer. Completely classless and unprofessional. The exact opposite of what everyone makes them out to be.
I recalled a set of 'factory' forks being claimed by a privateer. And he finally getting them, late, after they'd been damaged. I just couldn't recall the teams right. I seem to recall the Honda team did the same thing once as well.

Ironic about the claiming rules. They were designed to limit how much factory teams would spend on parts. Supposedly, if a privateer could claim, say, your exhaust system for $1000, teams wouldn't tend to use exhausts that cost more than $1000. But they did anyway. So then, when a guy would claim that $20,000 uber-exotic factory exhaust system for $1000, he was threatened and harassed by the factory team in question.

This is pretty much why the claiming rules went away. It wasn't good for business. :rolleyes:
The prices were incredibly cheap, originally. I think the last time forks were claimed in AMA road racing he paid almost nothing for some really tweeked, one-off, Ohlins.

As sp2 has pointed out the rule does still exist, as I recall the prices went WAY up after some ballsy privateers got the factory bits. Another thing that seems to limit the claiming of factory bits is the veiled threat that if you do claim from a factory team, your will never ride for a factory team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stk0308 said:
Another thing that seems to limit the claiming of factory bits is the veiled threat that if you do claim from a factory team, your will never ride for a factory team.
If you're good enough, I doubt a factory team would look too closely at your claiming behavior.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Rocket51 said:
If you're good enough, I doubt a factory team would look too closely at your claiming behavior.
Depends on what you claim. I wouldn't put it past certain teams. Some of those guys don't seem to have a sense of humor about these kinds of things.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top