Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading to a set of CF wheels for the ZX10. Any recommendations? They should fit either Renthal or AFAM sprockets as I want a good selection of 520 sprockets to fit them. Any racers out there who've fitted BST wheels for example?
CHeers:clapper

·
Infrequent Visitor
1,996 Posts
Geesh - it isn't even Winter yet and already people are getting restless....

So, how many BST's failed this season???

:banghead Anyone?... Bueller?... Bueller? :banghead

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
Yeah, they simply let go at any time. Explode into a million pieces for no rhyme or reason. Damned company that makes them should be sued and the directors should be locked away for life.

My grandmother was riding her brand new ZX-6RR to her bingo club championships last Sunday, after I fitted a brand new set of BSTs to her RR (I think she's actually a little bit of a poser, but I know she's been trying to impress some old guy at the seniors care home who told her he used to race motorcycles back in '35), and BOTH wheels simply exploded as soon as she changed into 3rd gear - can you BELIEVE that!

I kid you not - threw her clean over the handlebars and she went cartwheeling down the road. Luckily she was wearing her brand new Ninja green full-piece racing 'roo leathers, otherwise she would have missed her bingo event, and then I woulda been in REAL trouble.

Yeah, forget those wheels - they're far too dangerous. I mean, have you seen how many keep exploding? New reports every day...it's ridiculous!

Some things are just not worth the risk to your life, man.

PS If you happen to have bought them already, then call me and I'll take them off your hands and get rid of them for a very small fee - it's the very least I can do.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Guest said:
I'm curious, since I know you're a South African yourself - are you speaking about integrity here from personal experience? It would be useful if you could vouch for the engineering attitudes of the key people in the company, though I don't think anyone here has ever called that into question.
Just to stir the pot (I'm bored). :D OB, you didn't answer this question from the old thread - do you personally know any of the key folks at BST?

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
No, can't say I do, Jeff. I've never met any of them. I do believe their facilities are up in the Johannesburg region of the country, about 650 miles from my old city of Port Elizabeth, and I try to avoid that area at all costs! :)

I did email BST concerning the previous thread, but they were of course well aware of it already. :)

As a South African myself, I guess you could say that I am biased in favor of BST to some extent - probably as much as an average American would be when a tiny American manufacturer's product gets lambasted/blamed for causing a serious incident without any actual proof of the real root cause - and, I'm sure, impacting sales to some extent or another.

My bias in this is probably significantly LESS than some of the posters in that thread, who have close personal relationships with some of the parties that were actively involved with these wheels, and who made and continue to make it very clear where THEY lay the blame - i.e. on the product.

I am sick and tired of the idiots that continue to post pictures and statements that BST wheels simply explode for no reason - that is the message that comes across, intended or not, and I think it's plain wrong. There is NO...ZERO...evidence of ANY problem with the wheels themselves. There may WELL be cause for question on the proper handling of these wheels - which is area where many / most of these guys have close relationships with a party intimately involved in this one wheel failure.

You know what I think, and frankly, I'm tired of this whole non-issue. If we start seeing evidence of BSTs failing at higher rates than the average industry norms, and not as a RESULT of accidents/crashes, but rather as the CAUSE of them, then I'll be the first one to say there is a potential problem here.
NOT before, and certainly not because of some pics of a broken wheel for which all scientific evidence thus seen indicates nothing was wrong in the design or manufacture of that wheel.

Does that answer your question? :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts