Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know what this is but it looks alot like Jet Hot, which is a named brand for one of the high temp coating companies out there. I have seen great results from Jet Hot in the automotive world and wondered if you guys have any first hand experience? Espicially considering the heat our pipes put off...not to mention the looks. Definately considering it, espicially after seeing this one. What do you think?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Jet Hot coating (or equivalent) on pipes (galaxy)

"chromex" coatings with an internal thermal barrier from performancecoatings.com. great stuff. great people. reasonable prices.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I had my pipes Jet Hot coated, but this bling-bling was not an option at the time. Mine turned out flat...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While providing lower external temps, don't these coatings bottle up the heat inside the pipes which would be bad for c/f mufflers and having to replace the packing inside sooner?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (El_Toro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by El_Toro »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While providing lower external temps, don't these coatings bottle up the heat inside the pipes which would be bad for c/f mufflers and having to replace the packing inside sooner?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn I hope NOT!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I had mine "Jet Hotted", but it wasn't Jet Hot ....... why can't I remember the damn name of the place?

Anyway, they were ceramic coated. Not chrome like above, just a flat silver.

With regards to heat, I really can't say I notice a difference.

What I did experience, though, was a major BITCH of a time getting them back together after the coating was applied. I don't know if the pipes moved around some during the coating process, or it was simply the thickness of the coating that caused the problem. After I went back and honed out the interior of the female connection, it went together but was still a PITA.

Hindsight being what it is, I wouldn't do it again.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (El_Toro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by El_Toro »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While providing lower external temps, don't these coatings bottle up the heat inside the pipes which would be bad for c/f mufflers and having to replace the packing inside sooner?</TD></TR></TABLE>
i suppose that's true, but the gasses while hotter, would also have a higher exit velocity so i suppose it's be a wash for exposure to the muffler packing?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (s4strati)

I did the MH pipes, it would be fare to say the underseat temperature was lower with the ceramic coating and they look way cool, exhaust heat wrap does the same thing but looks but ugly on a bike.

It does however pin up after a short while from stone and grit blasting and they turn very dull.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have read the heat wrap does trap in heat pretty bad and it can hold in moisture and corrode the pipes fairly rapidly over time. Does look kinda cool if done right. Jet Hot is a ceramic, not a chrome and I think they pretty much have a good guarantee that their product wont change colors or anything. Strati was right about expending the gasses. I think the Jet Hot is also fairly shiny but maybe not as much as that black 999 above. Still would look better than plain old pipes I would think. I also just wrote to Jet Hot to see if they could do the pipe portion of the slip on as well so the pipes would match all the way to the muffler.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (Monstaman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monstaman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">exhaust heat wrap...looks but ugly on a bike.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WOT?!?!? I take offence to that!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jet-Hot coated mine a flat black its there 2000 coat it's rough like 40 grit sand paper but it keeps the heat from burning my leg.

The whole exhaust was about $200 to coat. I will do it on my next bike also.
PITA to put back together is right.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dipdm, you actually had yours done by "Jet Hot" and it was a PITA? Wonder if it's the thickness of the material or if the pipe get's warped or changes shape very slightly in the process? That sucks. Was it still worth the effort?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I had jet hot do my '83 honda 1100f headers and am very happy with it . they coated inside and out so the pipe is insulated from the hot gas. but the pipe is also insulated from the cooling air.is the metal pipe cooler or hotter after this mod.???? i don't know.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: (Nick D.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nick D. »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WOT?!?!? I take offence to that!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Me too

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: (Nick D.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nick D. »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WOT?!?!? I take of fence to that!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where did you take it

I should qualify that statement, on a naked bike for street use it looks like a wonnabe IMO

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: (BlackHawk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackHawk »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seriously...does this looks but ugly?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, that looks trick, I saw a picture with a Monsta that had it and it looked very out of place.

Superbikes can wear it no prob specially with CF wheels
and swingarm too

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: (Monstaman)

Dear God, Blackhawk! Forget about the exhaust wrap... Nice gear!! How much is the Army PAYING you to fly those things!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: (Holiday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monstaman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, that looks trick, I saw a picture with a Monsta that had it and it looked very out of place.

Superbikes can wear it no prob specially with CF wheels and swingarm too </TD></TR></TABLE>
I never did see a Monsta with it so I really cant say. I really didn't know about the look that the exhaust wrap would bring at first, but now I think it's okay.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: (Holiday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Holiday »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dear God, Blackhawk! Forget about the exhaust wrap... Nice gear!! How much is the Army PAYING you to fly those things!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not enough...my taste is compensated by starving the familly. J/K

1 - 20 of 30 Posts