Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
****ing great......... Hopefully this won't amount to much more than the ban on A pillar window tints. Cops use it as an excuse to stop you when they think something else is up, but leave you alone otherwise.

·
Registered
480 Posts
We wouldn't need "Big Brother" if we could police ourselves. The young squids around here aren't using any pipes at all, just remove the stock muffler and rev'it till it bangs the rev limiter. :banghead

I saw the stealth light about 20 years ago and have run either stock or aftermarket pipes that have dB limiters; Leo Vince being my current favorites.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
sportbikes are not for commuting, they are for goin fast. if you are riding on public roads, and arent breaking the law, you really arent riding a sportbike the way it was intended. get a commuter bike if you have a problem with breaking the law. when i commute, i commute on a commuter. try it sometime. this is a non issue for the people that ride their sportbikes the way they were intended to be ridden. its also funny that most of the people i know that street race and have no concern for legality also have legal commuter bikes they dont try to turn into polished turds, they use them for what they are intended to do, commute and not be conspicuous.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
sportbikes are not for commuting, they are for goin fast. if you are riding on public roads, and arent breaking the law, you really arent riding a sportbike the way it was intended...
Although that advice might apply to some, for those of us who have a sport bike that we like to ride on the street occasionally and ride on the track a bunch...it really doesn't apply...especially the part about getting a commuting bike (not everyone can afford the luxury of having multiple bikes).

I have a very highly modified 998R that is running an aftermarket 102db exhaust system that I'm pretty sure doesn't annoy anyone, even when the bike is being run flat out at the track (yes, I realize a big twin sounds different as well). And although I dislike riding my bike on the street because it is extremely uncomfortable and has a tendancy to begin to overheat when stopped at lights for extended periods of time on a hot summer day... when I want to ride...I want to ride. When I am at the track, the bike is absolutely perfect, because it is being ridden the way that the designers intended...at least I hope so!

I have seen more than my share of blithering idiots on motorcycles of all types (as I'm sure have most of us), be it a HD or a 1000cc I4. People like that help to lower the perception of the public about motorcycle riders as a "generalized" group.

My guess is that if legislation such as this begins to spread across the US, motorcycle manufacturers will have to get clever regarding the synergistic effect of the engine, exhaust, FIM, air box, electronics, etc. all working together to produce the appropriate power output without breaking the law. I also predict that they will have to engineer for the state with the most restrictive law (CA now, and perhaps in the future) to avoid making two different sets of components...one for CA, one for everyone else.

The issue is really quite complex, but the bottom line is that we may all end up riding bikes a little less to our liking because of the actions of a few. :twocents

·
Registered
607 Posts
sportbikes are not for commuting, they are for goin fast. if you are riding on public roads, and arent breaking the law, you really arent riding a sportbike the way it was intended. get a commuter bike if you have a problem with breaking the law. when i commute, i commute on a commuter. try it sometime. this is a non issue for the people that ride their sportbikes the way they were intended to be ridden. its also funny that most of the people i know that street race and have no concern for legality also have legal commuter bikes they dont try to turn into polished turds, they use them for what they are intended to do, commute and not be conspicuous.

You are part of the problem: folks telling folks what to do when in every aspect of their lives, and then making it law. Stop it. If I wanna commute on my racebike it's none of your [email protected] business.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
My biker customers are really sore at Arnold for signing the law...
but I told them that if I install the straight Hell Bent pipes people
would complain to the government for relief... after all riding is a
privileged not a right... you want Government out of your life then
muffle your stead...

Big E's Duce that was my winter project that won an award...

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Sucks for the Harley and squid crowd, but it was long overdue. Something had to be done about those godforsaken Harley straight pipes.:banghead
+1,000,000,000

On the flip side, if the identity challenged posers can't turn to open pipes to get the attention they crave, they will surely turn to chrome (and frills), meaning demand will go through the roof, lol

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
CLINK! :clapper

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Registered
607 Posts
muffle your stead...

First of all Larry, you are wrong. If you guys above think this will just affect Harley's and clones, think again. This will become a costly impedance (trying to meet standards which do not exist in other parts of the country or the rest of the world) for all OEM's of street bikes whom are already having a tough time making ends meet. This will increase their costs which will inevitably lead to jobs lost. Not to mention jobs lost in or related to the aftermarket and custom manufacturers segment (well, like you for example Larry, making pipes for your wrestler friend...).
Second, I can't help but think you are a giant hypocrite, making a straight pipe for your WWE buddy whilst wagging your finger at him telling him and his ilk what he should or should not do because of some imaginary social responsibility to protect other people's sensibilities.

Who is going to be left standing to protect your rights for you to do what you want or make a living at when the time comes? Larry, what if I don't like your de Havilland flying over my neighborhood and think it's unnecessary and a nuisance and it's ugly and noisy? Don't you think this type of legislation just gives all these legislative nanny's more ammo to preemptively come after aircraft or collector cars, radio controlled hobbies, closed circuit racing, fireworks, high wattage stereos, pets, etc, etc. This is how rights are lost and despair is spread folks, one little bit at a time. One seemingly insignificant piece of nuisance law gives more credence and necessity to the next.

When did we become a country that caters to the stupid and the weak, and that anything outside the apparent safety of one's bedroom closet needs to be legislated, taxed or demonized out of existence?

Here's another one, (didn't have to look far): Senate votes to turn down volume on TV commercials - Yahoo! News

·
...clink...!
1,725 Posts
...When did we become a country that caters to the stupid and the weak, and that anything outside the apparent safety of one's bedroom closet needs to be legislated, taxed or demonized out of existence?...
Many, many years ago. And there's no going back.:(

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
First of all Larry, you are wrong. If you guys above think this will just affect Harley's and clones, think again. This will become a costly impedance (trying to meet standards which do not exist in other parts of the country or the rest of the world) for all OEM's of street bikes whom are already having a tough time making ends meet. This will increase their costs which will inevitably lead to jobs lost. Not to mention jobs lost in or related to the aftermarket and custom manufacturers segment (well, like you for example Larry, making pipes for your wrestler friend...).
Second, I can't help but think you are a giant hypocrite, making a straight pipe for your WWE buddy whilst wagging your finger at him telling him and his ilk what he should or should not do because of some imaginary social responsibility to protect other people's sensibilities.

Who is going to be left standing to protect your rights for you to do what you want or make a living at when the time comes? Larry, what if I don't like your de Havilland flying over my neighborhood and think it's unnecessary and a nuisance and it's ugly and noisy? Don't you think this type of legislation just gives all these legislative nanny's more ammo to preemptively come after aircraft or collector cars, radio controlled hobbies, closed circuit racing, fireworks, high wattage stereos, pets, etc, etc. This is how rights are lost and despair is spread folks, one little bit at a time. One seemingly insignificant piece of nuisance law gives more credence and necessity to the next.

When did we become a country that caters to the stupid and the weak, and that anything outside the apparent safety of one's bedroom closet needs to be legislated, taxed or demonized out of existence?

Here's another one, (didn't have to look far): Senate votes to turn down volume on TV commercials - Yahoo! News

Mercy... I'm well aware that the law could not be written to just name HD and
the Clones... it had to be written to include all loud motorcycles...

I didn't make the Hell Bent pipes... Jesse James did... I just
installed them...

I feel my rights are protected by the constitution... however my riding
privilege is not protected and subject to fines and being pulled...

If you don't like Mr.Chippy flying over your head you can report my N
number to the FAA... they will review my flight path to see if I
broken any regulations or not... thats why we are required to paint
those large numbers on our wings...

I wouldn't worry about this law... just don't make more noise than a
straight pipe Harley...

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
muffle your stead...

How much ya wanna bet that after the last decade of this guy gettin' juiced on 'roids, his balls are the size of raisins.......Compensate much? :woot:
It's chumps like this that are the reason behind the law we speak of.

Semper Fi :rockon

-Rocky-

·
This space for rent
1,478 Posts
How much ya wanna bet that after the last decade of this guy gettin' juiced on 'roids, his balls are the size of raisins.......Compensate much? :woot:
It's chumps like this that are the reason behind the law we speak of.

Semper Fi :rockon

-Rocky-
I volunteer you to go check.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Is this law really anything new? Or are they just saying its a new law? There has always been noise ordinances! They only recently started enforcing them!
Is this a noise issue? Or an EPA issue?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts