Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after 3 years of track duty and a year of sitting on stands got the piggy back out today. put it back to street legal, got the registration and plate couple days ago. ran good and was fun but with the smaller front sprocket i didnt remember how much mph difference. took it out for 100mi and its just like i remember. hard seat, hard suspension, sore knee, sore wrist. pretty much sucks to ride but oh boy does it sound good. stupid camera is dead, that and its dark but will get a pic up sunday. :clapper

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice! I bet it feels good to get it back on the road. Mine has been down so long I forgot what it feels like. As soon as it's done, I'm sure it's going to be painful to ride compared to my Speed Triple, but I won't care. :rockon

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
after 3 years of track duty and a year of sitting on stands got the piggy back out today. put it back to street legal, got the registration and plate couple days ago. ran good and was fun but with the smaller front sprocket i didnt remember how much mph difference. took it out for 100mi and its just like i remember. hard seat, hard suspension, sore knee, sore wrist. pretty much sucks to ride but oh boy does it sound good. stupid camera is dead, that and its dark but will get a pic up sunday. :clapper

careful with the smack talk Doug some will take offesne to your truth:p

you know you love the hard seat

·
Registered
137 Posts
I did the same thing last month, but I found the suspension dead on perfect! Penske rear and DK worked front. Made me motivated to try and work out the 66k mile, 11 year old stock suspension on my VFR. I can get around on it, but riding the RC on the same roads (Cherohala, Deals Gap, etc) was so much easier and more fun as a result!:rockon
Oh, and after two weekends and over 800 miles I got a Sargent:cool:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
going to ride it some the rest of the season then sell it along with my klr650. really dont need both on the road, looking at a buell ulysses or kawi versys next. besides already have a much better twin for the track

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well every track i have been on both bikes the 848 is minimum 2 seconds a lap faster. never had the 848 on the street but i would bet its much better there too. it doesnt have the lower rpm pull like the RC but above 6-7k they are at least equal. but with the 848 weighing in the 385 range, probably 40lbs lighter its quicker and stops better. finally had the 848 dyno tuned and put down 141hp and 74tq at crank. around 122/64 at the wheel with 15% loss. wrote this after first ride last summer the 848 has fantastic brakes, easy pull with 1 finger with strong initial bite and great feel. riding position seat to bars had more room and better wind protection. feels smaller because of the skinny tank. very planted in the turns. front suspension stock setting suck big time, very soft. at the end of the straight 140mph hard on the binders it would dive and not work on the roller bumps. could feel the rear end moving around and skipping along the ground. flicking the bike right to left felt slow, really had to push alot on the bars. the rear spring is too hard also, last season was getting alot of wheel spin and rear movement. with the correct spring it hooks up much better and doesnt eat tires as bad. this season CCS on the 848 so far. NJMP @ atlantic division 1st f40, 2nd supertwins. summit point track series 2nd supertwins, 3rd f40, 5th HWSS. mid atlantic 1st f40, 1st supertwins, 3rd HWSS

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
should add that with not too much money the suspension and handling is easily corrected. well atleast for front runnung amateur racing, should be able to run mid pack expert next season but beyond that the stock stuff will need to be upgraded

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
the 848 is a nice ride man, and as long as you can afford the maintenance (and dont mind the frequency of it) then the duc is a great machine to have. what kind of times are you running at summit and njmp? your peak hp/tq. numbers are close to mine, i just had mine dyno tuned and i pulled 126hp72tq and that is with race tires (i assume your duc has them on too), and they typically make a few less ponies than street tires do. but the extra weight on the rc really kills it more than anything.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
last rounds njmp lightning low 1:12's. t-bolt 1:34's. summit 1:21's consistantly but dip into the :20's every now and then. last season at loudon got to low 19's second weekend on it

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
decent times man, and congrats on your finishes. if you need any tips on loudon or summit let me know as i spent a decent amount of time on both tracks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts