Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to own a TLR, and there was a cable clutch conversion we could do. I liked it much better than the hydraulic clutch it has.

Easy question... Is there? and is it easy?

·
Full Spectrum
2,532 Posts
The cable clutch works great- if you can adjust it perfectly. I have been unable to do this so far.

It works OK, and is 4lbs lighter than the stock setup however.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've got to agree with Paul. It is much easier to pull the clutch in with the cable. Obvious difference with mine parked next to his, mine with the stock clutch setup, his with the cable. Having said that, I still will not be installing the cable clutch setup because I don't think the stock pull is too bad. Maybe some GRG levers...

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
The reason the race bikes went over to a cable clutch set up is not ease of pull, and actually not much about weigh savings, it is about clutch "feel" as in race starts where the motor is held at a high rpm and the clutch is fed into the bike as you launch. Very difficult to do with a RC with a Hydro set up. as it engages in a very short window or sweep of the lever. with a cable design the clutch engagement is over a wider sweep and much more feel is available.

Changing to a smaller piston with a shorter fulcrum Master Cylinder does offer more sweep but even less feel.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
True I did notice a lot less effort and the feel is a little less with the Brembo 16X18 billet radial master cylinder. But for the street it sure is nice and since I'm not drag racing the bike it dosen't bother me at all and it works great with the Brembo 19X16 billet radial brake I'm running, one finger on both all day no problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thorsten's cable clutch is cool... but I went through two cables in two years.

The stock hydraulics are reliable and have never failed me, so I went back to stock.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This may seem stupid for some of you, but my bike has fallen over twice and I keep breaking the fluid cup on the clutch!

Plus, When I did the swap on my TLR, I loved the feel of a cable clutch. Hyrdro seems to In and Out and nothing in between for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts