Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you have any experience with the sv 1000?,i almost made a deal today to buy a new sv 1000, i posted here before for your opinions on the vtr 1000,well i checked out the sv 1000 and i like it better and i think it is also a little more refined than the vtr,and i'm planning on buying the little 650 as well for my wife. i would like to have a bike i can do long trips on and still have a lightweight and small bike,i have tried a full upright body position bike like a zrx 1200 or a v-strom and i felt less confortable having all my weight on my lower back, after a few minutes of riding i began to curve my back.i almost feel better on a sportbike cause there is some weight on the arms and also the position i have on the bike permits me to have my back straight, i think the sv can be right in the middle and can be a very good tourer,i will have to exchange my 999 for them 2 bikes but i still have a 04 r1 racebike and my crf250f motocross, if i had more money i would keep the 999 and have myself 2 sportbikes but if i do this deal the 999 has to go(that will be hard). the dealer is expecting my decision tomorow on the exchange and i would like to know what you guys think about the sv's and about this deal,i usualy am certain about my purchases but i need input this time cause i cant beleive i'm exchanging my 999 for some semi-touring bikes .i must be realy getting old but these sv's sure look good for what i need,thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (JesseJames)

nice bike and the black rims look good too. the SV is a great bike. i would get one if i didn't already have two bikes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: is the SV 1000 a good bike. (drthompson65)

if you can live with the knocking that comes from the engine crank (i don't know about the 05 models but 04 had it) go for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: is the SV 1000 a good bike. (Giannis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giannis »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you can live with the knocking that comes from the engine crank (i don't know about the 05 models but 04 had it) go for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>what knocking,where can i have more info on this,thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: is the SV 1000 a good bike. (livharder)

if you read back on an old RRW&MT article - it's one incredible bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bah...that was on a few early 03 models...I only knew of a handful that actually were rebuilt even at that.

The majority of that was hyped up newbies thinking the sound of their twin at idle was supposed to sound like a sewing machine or something.

Don't spread that BS when you don't know about it. That is why you even heard about that was from paranoid people spewing nonsense.

*edit*

not trying to sound harsh but that whole issue pissed me off, because the actual documented cases were very few but every noob who got a leftover 03 would post up on the sv1000 board "DO I HAVE THE KNOCK??" it used to happen all the time. Like I said mine never did and neither did the VAST majority.

here is a sample of mine "knocking"

Waving at the camera, pack of wolves chasing

Modified by JesseJames at 7:16 AM 6/14/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: is the SV 1000 a good bike. (Giannis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you can live with the knocking that comes from the engine crank (i don't know about the 05 models but 04 had it) go for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bature of the beast. Big V-Twin engines are just noisey. My V-Strom 1000 (same engine different mapping) has knocked on and off since day one, it only has 30k hard miles on it
and I'll bet you the bike it runs another 30k without a problem. Nothing to worry about sort of like listening to a Ducati run or a Triumph. The 650 enige has always been the smoother of the two. The 1000 has some big parts slinging back in forth, go for it a SV1000 is a sweet bike you'll be happy. To many people reading forums these days causes these rumors
Go talk to people who actually ride them, I qualify as one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like everyone here says, go for it. I never heard about a "knock" before but remember to beat on the bike, it's under warranty!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know if the 1000 is different from the 650, but I raced my '04 SV650S for the first time this weekend and loved every minute of it. Easy to ride, easier to race. It was almost 100 degrees this weekend in the pits, once I got on the bike all that went away. I suggest you redo the forks if you plan on doing any track days...it's too soft stock. I felt a little big on the bike...I'm 6'3"...getting under the screen on the straights was a bit tough with racing rearsets. Also, leaning the bike over felt like I was getting off, but never once did the bike get out of shape. Maybe I wasn't going fast enough...

Modified by 1KRR at 12:03 PM 6/14/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here is a sv1000 with a custom titanium system by striker(arata in the states)
beautiful exhaust.has tuned ports for midrange ala yoshimura japan tl1000 systems.
also the 05 model has new cams and other mods,so has more power etc

Modified by simonkobe at 9:10 AM 6/14/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow that exhaust is gorgeous....same with the wheels, they need to pull off the snow shovel fender!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts