Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that's what i just read last night in the new cycle magazine. they said the street leagal sm will be stateside by fall 05 and it will retail for a bout $10,000.00 I guess TM getting some comp in the high end street legal SM. can anyone confirm this info.

Modified by credit,xtc at 3:02 AM 4/4/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: is the Aprilia sm 550 and 450 a reality (credit,xtc)

I heard sept. 2005 for the usa. IIRC the ones that are coming out won't be street legal. You might be able to add lights/signals to dual sport it, but it depends on the MSO I guess. I think there are plans to make a street legal version down the road. But I hope I'm wrong I want the street legal version now. Damn 10 grand? That is up there with the KTM 990 sm, which is street legal, but much heavier I would gather.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: is the Aprilia sm 550 and 450 a reality (jager)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jager »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I heard sept. 2005 for the usa. IIRC the ones that are coming out won't be street legal. You might be able to add lights/signals to dual sport it, but it depends on the MSO I guess. I think there are plans to make a street legal version down the road. But I hope I'm wrong I want the street legal version now. Damn 10 grand? That is up there with the KTM 990 sm, which is street legal, but much heavier I would gather. </TD></TR></TABLE>Correct!
The two big issues right now are the street motor (not even designed yet) v. race motor (ready for production) and the dollar v. euro making it cost prohibitive to build and ship these bikes. The US dealers all want this bike in its race form until they can develop the street version. I think the race version will be less expensive because it won't have to meet all those expensive road regulations. The Italians don't want to ship it until they have a street version available. Same problem as the RSV450 that is in prototype right now.

The KTM 950SM will probably be $12-13k if and when it ever comes to the US.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts