Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vintage 900RR, the one with round headlights and the holes in the side of the fairings... the best one I think. It has plenty of power and juice, but I have been thinking about replacing it with a 2005 R1.
However, I haven't ridden any of the new 1000's, so I want to know if they are really substantially faster than the 900RR. Will I be able to tell a big difference?
Mind you, I am not talking about measuring seconds on a track, just street riding.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Is a 2005 R1 that much better than a 93 CBR 900RR? (ICEMAN)

ICEMAN said:
I have a vintage 900RR,.......
yes. key word you used was vintage.
acceleration.

carbs VS Fuel injection

suspension and handling

brakes

12 years in the motorcycle industry is the equivalent to 12 years in the computer industry...... it's light years in technology..........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Huge, Massive, Unbelieveable difference. Todays 600's will run with your RR. Not bashing your RR because I happen to like them as well, but there really is no comparison other than both have 2 wheels. The new 1000cc bikes are faster than you can imagine. I hope you are a really good rider. Have fun and try not to hurt your cheeks smiling the first time you open the throttle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Take it to the track at TWS in February.

You will be smoked by late model slightly modded 750s

My heavily modded RC51 won't touch the newer 1000s with a twenty foot pole on the front and back straights at TWS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Is a 2005 R1 that much better than a 93 CBR 900RR? (RC BS)

so you are going tog et smoked by anyone who rides a 1000cc Gve a break... i know guys who can turn around 1000cc witht heir old CBRs,GSXRs or even YZFs...

On my last track day i was passing 999s 996s and 748s with my twinshocked, bufallo wieight ZRX.... if you want to go fast you dont need big cc and modern tehchology but hands and Balls

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Oh, I think you would notice a slight difference...when the R1 puts you squarely on your head. The new R1 is somewhere in the neighborhood of 180hp at speed once the airbox is sufficiently pressurized.

A friend of mine has ridden both the new 1000RR and the new R1. Despite being a pretty competent rider, he found the R1 to be what he called "twitchy" and commented that he had to be VERY aware of what he was doing on the R1 when compared to the new RR. His comment was that he would rather own the RR because he could ride it all the time. -Keep in mind, we're talking about the new RR in this comparison, not the 900RR. He didn't feel confident that he could ride the new R1 as something other than a track bike or "play hard bike" because of the alertness thing - If he wasn't on top of it, it would be on top of him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Is a 2005 R1 that much better than a 93 CBR 900RR? (sparky)

Man you guys are tempting me....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Back in'93 when I first got mine, it dyno'd at 109hp.750s of the day were 100-105hp. This is 600 country now not to even mention weight and suspention.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ICEMAN »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man you guys are tempting me....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should definitely buy a new generation 1000. You'll be amazed. And since your 900 isn't really worth a whole lot any more, you should keep it and build one of these...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes... as everyone has already said here... the R1 is a WAY faster and an advanced bike... but if you're simply looking for street commuting, why change?

I loved my '95 CBR900RR. If the bike is in nice shape and you're only using it to hop 'round town... keep it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Is a 2005 R1 that much better than a 93 CBR 900RR? (AZ Scott)

Sweet looking street fighter RR Scott. Where did you find that one?

Here's a thought for the thread starter - do something like this. I'm sure that you could find a few more horsepower in the old CBR with a few mods. If you're bored with the bike, change it up. Change the bodywork altogether and give the bike a sexy new image.

I get bored with my mc's and other toys, so I will change things with the intention of renewing my interest. I have a really difficult time leaving things "stock".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I had a 93 back then, The RR got better but not until 98 did they fix the screwed up geometry of the bike. An unmodified 96 or new gsxr or newer is a faster bike. The current 600 bikes are also faster. It's true 12 years is a long time.
Sure the rider makes all the difference in world, but if your talking about sheer performance there are a ton of bikes that have a lot more. For commuting though your probably just fine with your 900. The current and not so current liter bikes are way out there in the performance arena, good luck with whatever you decide.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Is a 2005 R1 that much better than a 93 CBR 900RR? (jewfzr)

I haven't ridden the model blade you have but I do own an '04 R1. The first thing i noticed was the lack of low down torque. The next thing I noticed was how damn fast you start going once the tacho is over about 6000rpm. I then noticed how damn good the brakes are at hauling back down to sane speeds. Good for doing rolling stoppies. Even if you didn't mean to..
If you are only commuting you'll find the R1 a bit of a bitch around town. Get out on the open road and it is in it's element. My only complaint is that if I want to hear the engine rev, I risk being arrested for speeding. It will do 160km/h (indicated anyway) in first gear before the rev limiter cuts in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Is a 2005 R1 that much better than a 93 CBR 900RR? (Bucko)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bucko »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My only complaint is that if I want to hear the engine rev, I risk being arrested for speeding. It will do 160km/h (indicated anyway) in first gear before the rev limiter cuts in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've heard the same thing about the newer R1's! My buddy has an '04, and I haven't gotten to ride it yet, but my brother-in-law has. He has the same complaint about the power all being at the top. I guess you could gear it shorter if you wanted to, but then you might have a ridiculous wheelie-machine.

I like my '02 R1. It has plenty of midrange power for around town, but still goes mighty fast up top. My bro' was thinking of trading in his modified '98 R1 for an '04, but after riding our other friend's bike he decided against it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Is a 2005 R1 that much better than a 93 CBR 900RR? (Giannis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giannis »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you are going tog et smoked by anyone who rides a 1000cc Gve a break... i know guys who can turn around 1000cc witht heir old CBRs,GSXRs or even YZFs...

On my last track day i was passing 999s 996s and 748s with my twinshocked, bufallo wieight ZRX.... if you want to go fast you dont need big cc and modern tehchology but hands and Balls
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't say you would get smoked around the turns at TWS.

I said you would get smoked on the front and back straights.

Texas World Speedway is a long track (2.9miles/4.64km)with a long back straight and a much longer front straight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Is a 2005 R1 that much better than a 93 CBR 900RR? (RC BS)

Kinda dissappointing to hear about the R1 being high strung. The other option I have been thinking about is to keep the CBR and get a Yamaha Warrior....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts