Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Big Thymer
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I thought it interesting to compare and contrast the four popular rear suspension links. This is simply FWIW and for information, so everyone can see the "differences" first hand.

The pics compare the stock, Mori, DK and RC51parts.com rear links (again, special thanks/shout out to Varium for his assistance).

Weights:
  • Stock: 1 lb 2.1 oz
  • DK 1 lb 3.5 oz
  • Mori 1 lb 3.5 oz (which surprises me, this feels heaviest)
  • RC51Parts.com 1 lb 4 oz

Ride safe all!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
This is interesting Ben! Would you consider selling the mori link?

I had a minty one that I sold to the guy I bought my HRC kit link from and wish I could have kept it.

Once I get another Mori link I want to do my own comparison between it and the OEM & HRC kit one that I have.
In my comparison I am going to graph the dimensions of each link and determine what the ratio's are for all 3.
If I know how the mori & HRC kit link differ progressively or digressively from the stock link I should be able to interchange them for different suspension/geometry tuning results.

Stunna

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
i'm pretty sure the mori link is the same dimensions as the hrc... and the kyle is the same as the mori... so i doubt you'll go anywhere with any of this stuff stunna. i think varium's is SLIGHTLY different than the kyle/mori

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
i'm pretty sure the mori link is the same dimensions as the hrc... and the kyle is the same as the mori... so i doubt you'll go anywhere with any of this stuff stunna. i think varium's is SLIGHTLY different than the kyle/mori
Although I don't have one to compare it too, I'm almost positive that the HRC is significantly different than the rest because it was designed for a kit showa shock and with an OEM length clevis it jacked my swingarm angle up so radically that I couldn't even fit my lower fairing.
*you can see how different it is from stock looking at the 2 next two each other

*this is a picture of a kit showa shock that the link was designed for

Its my understanding that Mori came out with the first aftermarket link for an OEM/Ohlins shock then DK copied it and then Varium copied that.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
i had to cut my lower fairings to fit them as well... with a mori link.
Thats weird cause I ran a dk link and a mori link with my ohlins rear and NEVER had any tire/fairing clearance issues with a number of different rear tire size/profiles as well. This clearance issue ONLY showed up for me when I installed the new link with the wrong adjustable end eye bolt.

Luckily after a year of nagging ohlins usa and over $100 later I got myself a new adjustable end eye which shortened the overall length of my rearshock enough to get my swingarm geometry back in the "outer circle."

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is interesting Ben! Would you consider selling the mori link?

I had a minty one that I sold to the guy I bought my HRC kit link from and wish I could have kept it.

Once I get another Mori link I want to do my own comparison between it and the OEM & HRC kit one that I have.
In my comparison I am going to graph the dimensions of each link and determine what the ratio's are for all 3.
If I know how the mori & HRC kit link differ progressively or digressively from the stock link I should be able to interchange them for different suspension/geometry tuning results.

Stunna
I bought my '01 with a Mori (I think) and Penske. I'd be interested to learn what advantages swapping out the stocker gains.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Double check those weights Ben, I was sure the one you have now weighed a few ounces less than the DK one...more material machined off...and mine was a copy of variums.

Anyways, if anyone needs a new link, Ben has the best deal on them by far.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ben, did you measured the weight of the stock shock link with the bushings or with out them? I'm looking at your pictures and every shock link has all of the busings installed, but not the OEM. That could explain the low weight of the stock shock link VS the others.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I agree with Stunna that a more accurate comparison of the units would be a triangulated "eye to eye" measurement on paper next to each unit. The problem with it has always been that no one (until now) has had them all in the same place!

I agree with Jason again in that the HRC kit part is far from the stock or any other angled unit listed above. The issue with cutting of the lower body work for me has been a simple ride height adjustment. The longer the shock, the more extreme the angle of the swingarm making you need to cut fairing and lengthen the kick stand (on a street bike).

The current Ohlins unit on my bike now has a ride height dialed in lower allowing for a stock length kick stand. Weird but the bike rides great or maybe that was part of the reason I walked out of a corner and crashed!

:banghead

1 - 17 of 17 Posts