Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Interesting engine? (tricklidz1)

neat, but 85hp from a turbocharged 972cc motor? surely they can do better than than

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Interesting engine? (Dezmo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dezmo »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">neat, but 85hp from a turbocharged 972cc motor? surely they can do better than than </TD></TR></TABLE>

The only number I saw on the site was 65HP which is lame in my book. 95lbs, yeah it has a titanium crank and titanium rods............not in anything with wings that I fly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
65 hp at 4200 rpm.....what would you use this motor for? Not being sarcastic.....just wondering how this translates to motorcycles or other potential uses. What market was this designed for? Their site is very vague.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (roadkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> What market was this designed for? Their site is very vague.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It goes in some home built variation on a helicopter. Thing thing sells for $50k and will NOT auto-rotate.......says it probably won't be used at very high altitudes. I have landed in a real helicopter doing an auto-rotation landing and without the ability to do this, the thing should come with a pre printed death certificate IMHO. It will have a glide ratio of a brick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Phil 998)

It also appears to be a straight prop mount engine for some sort of small (probably an aerobatic) plane.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">65 hp at 4200 rpm.....what would you use this motor for? Not being sarcastic.....just wondering how this translates to motorcycles or other potential uses. What market was this designed for? Their site is very vague.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You have to think of the safety factors, etc. that aero products have to be designed for ... their engines don't push the power per cc boundaries because of that. You hardly want to throw a rod on a high stressed engine 10,000 feet up do you

It is very clever how the head can be reversed, and cams, etc.

Pete

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (PSk)

Doesn't it seem odd that in the specs, details, anywhere on the site it doesn't mention a turbocharger once?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Phil 998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phil 998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It goes in some home built variation on a helicopter. Thing thing sells for $50k and will NOT auto-rotate.......says it probably won't be used at very high altitudes. I have landed in a real helicopter doing an auto-rotation landing and without the ability to do this, the thing should come with a pre printed death certificate IMHO. It will have a glide ratio of a brick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's nuts. The reason it won't auto is because of the transmission- no freewheeling unit. I wouldn't step a foot in that thing, personally... Those ultralight/light helo guys are a breed of their own.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (svmango)

No mention of the turbocharger? My bet it is used to turbo-normalize the engine,,,,,The turbo is not used to make more power, just allows it to make rated hp at higher density altitudes. 65-85 hp at 10,000' is a little different than 65-85 hp at sea level.

Modified by Taildragger at 6:46 AM 5/12/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Generally airplane engines have low rpms, high reliability, and high torque. Sounds like they're trading off HP for torque

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (number_nine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by number_nine »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't you mean lower density?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Nope, its' a pilot thing. But, you are right on the money about the air offering less power if it is less dense.

http://www.nw.faa.gov/ats/zdva....html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Read much?

AeroTwin Motors Corporation presents
the AeroTwin 4-Stroke Aerobatic Engine

This is the header on the first page.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">65 hp at 4200 rpm.....what would you use this motor for? Not being sarcastic.....just wondering how this translates to motorcycles or other potential uses. What market was this designed for? Their site is very vague.</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 999 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Read much?

AeroTwin Motors Corporation presents
the AeroTwin 4-Stroke Aerobatic Engine

This is the header on the first page.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, actually I don't. Generally speaking, I let others do the hard work so I can coast. Thanks for clearing this up for me. I may need your services again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

svmango: A margarita mixer out of that toy? Here's what you need. Megarita! Copy paste the link and check out the pics. 5000 HP making 15 gallons of cocktails.

http://community.webshots.com/...dqndz

The Aero engine is cute. Wonder what the weight savings are over say, a Rotax 912. These custom powerplants are usually pretty well made yet restricted into the experimental designation. in't gonna get no PMA for these!! IMO it's the airframes they're stuffed onto that are the scary part.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts