Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does anyone happen to know if it is possible for me to buy insurance for a motorcycle and then go register it at the NJ DMV with a canadian license?

My situation: I do not currently have my NJ license but I'm planning on getting it. I have found a bike I might want to buy before it's gone. is it possilbe to get temp insurance and ride the bike without registration for a grace period while I get my crap sorted out?

I know back home in Canada I can buy a vehicle and as long as it has insurance I can ride it and take care of the registration stuff within a reasonable amount of time(don't recall the exact time frame but I did get pulled over once while I was in transit with my newly purchased vehicle and the officer told me some time frame to do it in but I can't recall) but the said vehicle did have the plates on it from my previous vehicle.

Can a vehicle be in transit WITHOUT plates but WITH insurance?

not expecting anyone to know these for sure but thought I'd give it a try as the dmv are closed for the weekend...

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
In Canada the grace period is 15 days iirc with one extension, so 30 days total. iirc.

So is this scenario you buying in the US and bringing it back here?

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Canada the grace period is 15 days iirc with one extension, so 30 days total. iirc.

So is this scenario you buying in the US and bringing it back here?
I'm studying in the US and just want to buy so I can use it here. but since I don't have my nj license and don't have a previous vehicle with plates I don't know how to get the vehicle home without plates or registration etc...

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so I found out (not sure if the site is credible...) that you have 10 days to register a vehicle in NJ once purchased.... so does that mean that you can drive it with no plates and reg until then?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
most cops wont give a shit if you are on the up and up

lots of people will put the bill of sale and title or some other paperwork in a bag and tape it to the tag area, some states have temp tags. check the nj state website. i ride up and down the east coast without tags, in all probability you wont even get pulled over if you pay attention for cops. if you do, tell them the truth, they are usually pretty cool about shit if you arent an asshole.

you need to realize that what happens in the states when it comes to the cops is in all probability much less consistent than in canadia.

i raced a cop in a new magnum in traffic, topped out, last week, another one tried to run me down and i maced him when he tried to attack me. some cops laugh and are all about guys riding how they want and having fun. i live next door to a cop, she loves me, and all the cops in my neighborhood hate me and try to bust me, she thinks its hilarious and we are very friendly. some cops try to run you over for nothing. nj is a shitty place, a lot of dirty cops, keep your shit locked up. people will write down your tag number and get their cop buddies who are dirty to run it, and theyll check your shit out. nj is notoriously dirty, but that doesnt mean the cops try to **** you, in fact they are sometimes more lenient when it comes to nonsense. us cops also go after who they think they can get. ive never stopped in my life on a bike, i never will. this is apparent in how i ride, so 90% of the cops dont bother trying. if you look like you adhere to the law, they will go after you. fact. me and 2 other guys road from nyc todc the other week, and we split the entire nj turn pike and raced the entire way, none of the cops cared. its common place here. they cant do anything, they know it, if they can see you know it, they wont bother to try. but if you are on the straight side, just be honest.

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
if you wanna do things on the up and up it can be done with a Canadian license. as long as you have a permanent address in jersey. owning a vehicle and operating it are two different things if you catch my drift. you can get temporary registration which is usually 30 days, and insurance shouldn't be any problem. like I said as long as you have an address here and can prove you are living here. I owned and insured vehicles before I was even old enough to have a license. it can be done.

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that the NJ DMV may have the answer to your questions.

hahah have you ever had to deal with these kinds of people? you get a different answer depending on the day of the week and the time of day...

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to know what you did so wrong as to be made to live in New Jersey?

Kidding!!
:D Jersey is a very old place and it does have it's less then beautified areas but there is sooo much more greenerey here then I tought! and NY too! There are some very very nice places here, I will really miss it when I leave.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts