Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the last two track days, i been having some issues with the yoyodine slipper clutch on my 999. It has about 1200 track miles on it. It had popped into false neutral couple times on hard acceleration and few downshifts. It was pain in the butt to get it back in gear, especialy knowing that the edge of track was approaching FAST.

I am really hopping it's something simple with my clutch and nothing transmission related.

My basic questions are:

1) Are there any sites that explain in detail on how to take a yoyo slipper apart and put it back together?

2) What about describing how to inpsect the clutch basket, clutch plates, etc? How to measure things with micrometer etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
jbraslins said:
It had popped into false neutral couple times on hard acceleration and few downshifts.
That doesn't sound like a clutch problem to me. Probably the internal shift linkage that rotates the shift drum.:twocents

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is one of those posts that is kinda’ looking for facts and kinda’ looking for advise (opinion). Here’s my :twocents .

I’ll make a guess that the slipper was on the bike from day one... that you didn’t install it? If that’s the case, you should have pulled the clutch pack back when everything was working the way you liked it, so you could measure the stack height. That way, you’d know what you have to do to get back to that point once the plates started to thin down.

As for inspecting the components of the clutch... most is visual. We all know what things look like once they start to go tits-up. Banged up plate tabs and basket fingers are easy to see.

With the plates, get a digital caliper and it will tell you everything you need to know.

That said.... I don’t think the slipper is the problem.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Phil 998 said:
That doesn't sound like a clutch problem to me.
Me neither - if the bike is going into false neutral all by itself, it's hard to see how the clutch could cause it. My bike was doing the same thing (mine would even downshift on it's own when I rolled off and then back on again), just before I dropped the motor, split the cases, and replaced the whole tranny... Bent shift forks and worn dogs were the problem.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have found on our 749R with the stock slipper that if it's not greased correctly it will lock open momentaraly and it feels like it hit a false nuetreal.

Janis,

If you drop me a line at the store (and can get me:D ) I will be happy to walk you through servicing the clutch. You will need some tools though. Do you have a 34mm socket and an impact hammer?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Section8superbike said:
I have found on our 749R with the stock slipper that if it's not greased correctly it will lock open momentaraly and it feels like it hit a false nuetreal.
Aaaaaaaah, very good info.

Phuckin' slipper clutches......

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jason,

Thanks a bunch for the offer. I will not bug you over the phone, but I'll pick your brain via email.

Email on the way ....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jason, did you get my email? ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts