Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a problem last night where my new-to-me 2000 M900ie ran fine for about 15 miles, sat for a couple of hours then died when I was sitting on a slight incline at the exit of a local hang-out. It eventually started and ran when I backed the bike onto a level surface, and I limped it to a gas station, filled up, and the bike was fine after that. Sounds like it's not getting fuel, but at the same time I only had about 90 miles on a tank of gas. I looked in the tank itself but couldn't see gas sloshing around, but could hear it.

I recently changed the fuel filter, plugs, belts, oil and added slip-ons and the bike has been running flawlessly. I am guessing the hoses between the fuel filter and fuel pump either split or came apart somehow. Does anyone know what the size of the OEM in-tank fuel hoses are? I want to pick some up in case the hose did split.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: In-tank fuel hose size? (Nick D.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nick D. »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Had a problem last night where my new-to-me 2000 M900ie ran fine for about 15 miles, sat for a couple of hours then died when I was sitting on a slight incline at the exit of a local hang-out. It eventually started and ran when I backed the bike onto a level surface, and I limped it to a gas station, filled up, and the bike was fine after that. Sounds like it's not getting fuel, but at the same time I only had about 90 miles on a tank of gas. I looked in the tank itself but couldn't see gas sloshing around, but could hear it.

I recently changed the fuel filter, plugs, belts, oil and added slip-ons and the bike has been running flawlessly. I am guessing the hoses between the fuel filter and fuel pump either split or came apart somehow. Does anyone know what the size of the OEM in-tank fuel hoses are? I want to pick some up in case the hose did split.</TD></TR></TABLE>
hey nick,
i MAY be gutting one of the SS tanks i've got to sell it bare. if you want, i'll set some of the internal lines aside for you. should know this weekend!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

There's two issues to remember here. The Ducati fuel injection hoses run at 44 psi and the tank hoses are submerged in gasoline (unlike most car applications) so the outside coating has to fuel-resistant.

That said, one poster (thanks twngunz) had good luck (two years in a 996) with $2/foot Auto Zone "Fuel/Emmision 5/16" (7.9 mm) SAE 30R7" hose.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: In-tank fuel hose size? (Shazaam!)

Shaz, thanks for coming through yet again!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Most fuel injection hose from the auto parts stores is just fine for ducs.

I got 5/16 hose from NAPA which is made by (or marketed through) Imperial Eastman. It has a 150 psi working pressure and a 300 psi burst. I tested the OD by scrubbing it with gas and it passed my stringent exacting qualification process.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: In-tank fuel hose size? (Old Fart)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Old Fart »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">............ I tested the OD by scrubbing it with gas and it passed my stringent exacting qualification process.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is my general scientific process as well / for all things social or mechanical

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: In-tank fuel hose size? (Shazaam!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shazaam! »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That said, one poster (thanks twngunz) had good luck (two years in a 996) with $2/foot Auto Zone "Fuel/Emmision 5/16" (7.9 mm) SAE 30R7" hose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In stead of saying "one poster", should of said "one poser"!!!
Dang Shazaam! I suprised someone remembered an old post of mine. Yup! I still have the same hose in still and running like a champ (Knock on wood).

I have learned many things from this site and still do
. I am glad to have contributed as well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: In-tank fuel hose size? (twngunz)

Thanks all for your answers, here is an extension of the first question:

I pulled the fuel filter and pump out of the tank expecting to find a split hose but didn't. So I have no idea why the bike didn't start then ran rough but started and run fine when I filled with gas. I replaced the hose between the pump and filter and tried to seat the pump as far back in the tank as possible. How far should the pump be? I am assuming as far as possible, but at a certain point I couldn't get my arm deep enough into the tank to feel where the pump pre-screen was in relation to the far end of the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts