Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm relocating to Louisiana from sunny So Cal (I know I know) for work and I'm looking for friends. Espeically the kind on two wheels. Does anyone actually ride in that State or am I out of luck? I saw the Mid America riders thing but there are only two posts in the forum for that area. Please.... please someone say there are riders in that part of the country.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: I'm moving... (gnostic203)

My younger brother lives in that neck of the woods.

Yeah... people ride... but he says there are a gozillion bugs and they are HUGE!

HUGE.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: I'm moving... (Mental998)

Don't forget the wonderful 100% humidity that makes it feel like you are trying to breath water.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: I'm moving... (Phil 998)

I relocated to New Orleans about a year and a half ago from SoCal. It was a tough adjustment in various ways, from culture, to driving, riding, etc. You'll never get used to the heat and humidity, you'll just learn to tolerate it. It's weird never seeing any mountains, and it's tough to never be able to ride any.

There's a Duc dealership that opened here in NO about the same time I got here. Although I've never been on one, they apparently organize Sunday rides just about every weekend. I'd go, but they ride for 4-5+ hours at a time and I just don't have that much free time on a Sunday. It's not like where I used to live where you jump on the bike and five minutes later you're on a challenging mountain road. Down here it takes a bit of effort to find the twisty roads before you can ride them.

As far as there being a lot of riders. There are, but the majority ride Harleys or other cruisers. And apparently you don't have to have a separate license for a motorcycle, so a lot of riders I've seen have no idea what they are doing on a bike and are just asking for trouble. I had a guy on a Yamaha 750 pull up next to me at a stop light. He looked at my girlfriend on the back and then asked if I wanted to race him right then and there.

There's a track about an hour from the city that the aforementioned Duc shop organizes track days at, and there are a lot of tracks in Florida, Alabama, and Texas that are within a day's drive. I think Jennings is about a 6 hour drive. And if you're into day trips there are some wonderful places to ride to in the south.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me. Oh, and watch out for the drivers... they are so bad I was afraid to take the bike out for the first 6 months I lived here.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: I'm moving... (blueSS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blueSS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You'll never get used to the heat and humidity, you'll just learn to tolerate it. It's weird never seeing any mountains, and it's tough to never be able to ride any.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I lived in NO for two years, the above would be the biggest understatement I've read here. You also forgot the rain, I've never seen rain come down as fast as it does there and because NO is below sea level it doesn't take much time for things to flood. Still not a bad city to live in and the food is best.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

you can keep real busy doing antibellum plantation tours...there are hundreds but don't miss notoway and oak alley...the northern part of louisana does have hills...friendly folks that love to party...and friendly BUGS that like to party...ozarks and applalachia...barber motor musuem...lower taxes...you always wanted to join the iron butts...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

heh so did you race the guy...

Seriously thanks for the info. I lived in Orlando when I was younger but I didn't own a street bike at the time but I definitely remember the rain. Down pours that would come in sheets and just flood the entire town in a matter of hours.

I guess I'll be riding into NO every now and again to check out the town. Any word on the Ducati dealership down there? As far as I can tell it will be the only place within hours of driving.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You're right, I did forget the rain. I think it's more along the lines of me blocking it out. If you're in the city, the rain can be terrible for flooding within a matter of minutes. Besides being below sea level, the city is shaped like a bowl, with downtown right in the middle of the bowl. I recently moved out of the bottom of the bowl to a place on the western "rim" of the bowl, so to speak. The bugs really are outrageous down here. I've never seen anything like it. The roaches are what really get me. I'd never seen a flying roach before. You spray them with Raid and they look you in the eye, laugh twice, and give you the finger. They then proceed to slap you in the face and go about their business. I gave up trying after a friend explained to me that everyone has them and there's really nothing you can do about them. Oh, well.

As far as the shop in town, I talked to the owner who's a really cool guy, but I think the service department might be a bit less than stellar. I asked the mechanic what the 12k valve job on my SS would be and he quoted me, are you ready for this... $800. I laughed when he told me that he estimated that was including the 10-12 hours labor for doing it. I tried to explain to him that I didn't want him to port and polish my heads, just do a standard service, but he didn't really understand what I meant and that I was being sarcastic. At that point I turned and walked out the door. However, every cloud has a silver lining, and there's a great shop owned by a well trained, former team mechanic by the name of Chuck House. He's a great guy, really knows his stuff, and his prices are very reasonable. I get my parts from him and have him do any repairs I don't feel comfortable with. The only down side is that he's a really great salesman, and every time I take it in I end up doing things to the bike that I never previously considered seriously doing. Up next are high comp pistons and some head work. He just makes spending massive amounts of cash seem so logical... At any rate, he has a very quick turnaround time as well.

I also forgot to mention the food. My God is it good. If you have any appreciation for cuisine you'll love this city. You can walk into almost any place, fancy, dive, or anywhere in between and you'll get top notch food. There's a reason for the three week waiting list to see a cardiologist... But it's so worth it. I mean, what's a little triple bypass here and there? Speaking of bypasses, when you're down here, try Tucker's: they deep fry everything! They stuff hamburgers with whatever you want and toss the whole thing in the fryer. Twinkies, pork chops, pickles, why not fry them? So if you have the metabolic rate of a racehorse, or if you're feeling lucky, go for it, it rocks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

heh thanks, the food is great your right but man they deep fry everything including gator.

Does Chuck House have a name to his shop or can I find him in the White Pages?

Thanks again..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Welcome to louisiana! Everyone is spot on with their critiques of this state. In my opinion, the worst being the less than exciting roads that we are forced to ride unless you want to make a day trip out of it, then it gets a bit better. There is also the tail of the dragon in Deals Gap,North Carolina (318 curves in 11 miles) that a lot of local bikers make a trip to. Alot of harley riders around here, but a good number of sport bikes too. Also seen quite a few ducatis running around as well.

As for Ducati service, I too got the appalling 6k and 12k service quotes from the NO dealership, but, it's nice to have them there if you need a bolt, small part, etc.
My bike gets serviced at Chuck House Motorsports because it's all about trust and he's always been helpful.
Anyways, the weather is what it is, good days and bad days but you stick around here long enough, and you'll fatten yourself up with all the great food there is to enjoy.

BTW: Chuck House Motorsports is on 3315 Magazine St. (504)896-9099

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: I'm moving... (El_Toro)

Thanks El_Toro maybe I'll see you on the roads when I get out there.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

El_Toro,
We'll have to meet up and ride some time. I haven't been here long enough to find any good roads locally. I tried to find the 40 up on the North Shore because someone told me about it, but I went all the way up there to find nothing. I was in to see Chuck today about a crank seal for the SS, now I just have to put it in...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

blueSS, Definately, IM me whenever you're interested, we'll find some twisties somewhere. There are apparently some of the best Louisiana roads a little west of Baton Rouge, but Hwy 40 is good as well from what I hear. I haven't been to the northshore to ride in a while. I have been on some of the sceninc Hwy's that Slightly Ducatic was talking about. Nice scenery and all as one might imagine but I'd leave it for a cruiser or a touring bike.

Modified by El_Toro at 9:24 PM 1/18/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

If you are refering to Sebastion(the owner of Moto Euro) the guy is an asshole. I wish you would have posted the name of the "tech" that gave you the "outrageous" price quote. It's My understanding that Moto Euro also has had quite a turn over rate the last couple of years. I personaly hauled my bike to New Orleans in July to have it serviced by a very talented tech. Ben (now with KC-Internation) previously built and owned my current Supersport. And you would be very hard pressed to find a better maintained or performing supersport. I understand the "cool" owner has a bad habit of not paying his employees on time or the wages he promised. I spent several days with the guys from the shop during my first visit and it was great. Great except for the boring ass roads. Kai and Ben were holding the place together. I visited again in November and had an even better time. My bike will be serviced by Ben as long as my finances allow me get the bike to where ever he is. This summer it's San antonio Texas. I hope if any one from this thread visits the guys at Moto Euro please ask for Kai (pronounced K-eye) by name and avoid Sebastion. I continue to purchase parts from Moto Euro and Kai has been very helpful and pleasant to deal with. It's a shame that ownership can almost sink a sure thing. They are the only Ducati dealer in the state!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: I'm moving... (foopenhiemer)

Wow, you trucked your SS all the way down here from Ohio for servicing? Seems like a long way to go. Sorry about the misunderstanding about Moto Euro. I haven't been in there for over a year, and when I chatted with Sebastian, he was really pleasant to me and pretty helpful. I had no idea the way he was running his shop, and my comments that he was "cool" were simply from my own personal experience. I get a lot of my parts through Chuck anyways, so I have had no reason to go back to Moto Euro. Knowing what you just mentioned, I doubt if I ever will. If things are as bad as you say they there, I don't see how he could stay in business much longer.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blueSS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as the shop in town, I talked to the owner who's a really cool guy, but I think the service department might be a bit less than stellar. I asked the mechanic what the 12k valve job on my SS would be and he quoted me, are you ready for this... $800. I laughed when he told me that he estimated that was including the 10-12 hours labor for doing it. I tried to explain to him that I didn't want him to port and polish my heads, just do a standard service, but he didn't really understand what I meant and that I was being sarcastic. At that point I turned and walked out the door. However, every cloud has a silver lining, and there's a great shop owned by a well trained, former team mechanic by the name of Chuck House. He's a great guy, really knows his stuff, and his prices are very reasonable. </TD></TR></TABLE>

When did you visit the shop to get your price on the service? It's important to remember that the 12K service is more that just "a valve adjustment". If you call around, you'll find similar prices (Section8Superbike website, etc.) for the 12K service at an authorized Ducati shop. Obviously, the communication should've been better and whomever you spoke with given you a breakdown of just what's included in the service and the time involved to properly do the job. Communication and understanding is so important on our end!

I'm happy for you that you've found someone that works well for you, I've turned people onto Chuck House when we get service queries for BMW, Guzzi, etc.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: I'm moving... (El_Toro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by El_Toro »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for Ducati service, I too got the appalling 6k and 12k service quotes from the NO dealership, but, it's nice to have them there if you need a bolt, small part, etc.
My bike gets serviced at Chuck House Motorsports because it's all about trust and he's always been helpful.
Anyways, the weather is what it is, good days and bad days but you stick around here long enough, and you'll fatten yourself up with all the great food there is to enjoy.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to install your Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder, I look forward to having it ready for you Thursday afternoon. If we can help you out with anything else, we're here for you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: I'm moving... (foopenhiemer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foopenhiemer »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personaly hauled my bike to New Orleans in July to have it serviced by a very talented tech. Ben (now with KC-Internation) previously built and owned my current Supersport. And you would be very hard pressed to find a better maintained or performing supersport.

I spent several days with the guys from the shop during my first visit and it was great. Great except for the boring ass roads. Kai and Ben were holding the place together. I visited again in November and had an even better time. My bike will be serviced by Ben as long as my finances allow me get the bike to where ever he is. This summer it's San antonio Texas. I hope if any one from this thread visits the guys at Moto Euro please ask for Kai (pronounced K-eye) by name and avoid Sebastion. I continue to purchase parts from Moto Euro and Kai has been very helpful and pleasant to deal with. It's a shame that ownership can almost sink a sure thing. They are the only Ducati dealer in the state!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jason, you just need to come out to the track with me sometime! Take a bonzai run on down, we're going to No Problem Raceway on Monday the 24th. Looking forward to getting the 749R and Husqvarna back out there! Your Supersport is really nice and definitely performs well! As always, if you need anything let me know.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gnostic203 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Guys I'm relocating to Louisiana from sunny So Cal (I know I know) for work and I'm looking for friends. Espeically the kind on two wheels. Does anyone actually ride in that State or am I out of luck? I saw the Mid America riders thing but there are only two posts in the forum for that area. Please.... please someone say there are riders in that part of the country.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Looking forward to meeting you sometime, I can also put you in touch with a good group of guys who ride every weekend. That CRF450R would make a great Motard bike, you'd have a blast at No Problem Raceway on that thing!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Moto-
Sorry, I don't remember who I spoke to about the service, I was in there way back when you first opened. There might have been some miscommunication between us, because all I really wanted was a valve job, I enjoy doing most of the other stuff myself. How is No Problem Raceway? I went to their website but couldn't even find a course map. They seem to be all about their dragstrip, and I'm just not into that sort of thing. How much is it for the day? I'd like to make a trip out there with you guys some time, unfortunately the 24th is my GF's birthday, so that's a no go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts