Speedzilla Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Re: I'm goin' to the TT!!! (Baasinator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Baasinator »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How did you get this opportunity? Have you done a lot of motorsports journalism, or are you just getting started?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Funny you shoudl ask. This was the first time I have written about bike racing. I am a graduate school professor in Political Science (amongst other careers), and I submitted some writing samples to Davey at RRX; they looked them over, we chatted, they liked what they read and heard, and approved the article. Pretty funny, actually.

It was a great time. I will remember it for the rest of my life.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re: I'm goin' to the TT!!! (Harvey T.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Harvey T. »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Spezjag, we had a word or two about the TT while you were away. http://speedzilla.zeroforum.co...44821</TD></TR></TABLE>

Harvey -

Yeah, I have read the linked article. The IOM folks are still conducting the inquest, but it appears that there are videos showing the marshall crossing the hot course without clearing it with someone who had eyes on approaching traffic. Truly sad. I had been cheering for Scott all week (professional courtesy, after all) and it really hit hard when I heard he was the one killed.

I know a lot of folks are calling for it to be shut down, and the fact that both a journalist and a marshal were killed will only fuel that fire, but now having seen it, I can attest that it is amazing, simply amazing. We will miss this when it's gone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Re: I'm goin' to the TT!!! (spezjag)

All -

Some quick images:

How close I was to the action:

The bridge ar Ballaugh:

Racing through Ballaugh:

John McGuinness at Quarterbridge:

Very chilled brolly girls:

More to follow!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Re: (Tron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tron »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great writeup! When do you think the article will be published? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Tron -

I think it should be out around mid-August.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spezjag »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The bridge ar Ballaugh:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oddly I stood at this EXACT same spot, well till the little old lady said

"This is pryyvet propatee, peese hoff witcha"

I got to watch Joey Dunlop do the hop from that spot, then I tried to wheelie the

bridge when leaving and nearly went over backwards

Did you have a bike while you were there? Did you do the ferry or fly in from

Heathrow?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Re: I'm goin' to the TT!!! (svmango)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by svmango »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oddly I stood at this EXACT same spot, well till the little old lady said "This is pryyvet propatee, peese hoff witcha"

I got to watch Joey Dunlop do the hop from that spot, then I tried to wheelie the bridge when leaving and nearly went over backwards

Did you have a bike while you were there? Did you do the ferry or fly in from Heathrow?</TD></TR></TABLE>

SVMango-

I flew from Boston to Manchester, then on to the IOM. I got to stand in that garden next to Ballaugh Bridge thanks to my press pass, and the fat that I was the only press dude who was interested in interviewing the marshals!

It was a good place to stand to get cool shots, though my camera isn't the best, and I had a hard time trying to time the shots exactly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Some photos:

McGuinness at Quarterbridge:

Racing through Ballaugh (pronounced Bah-LUFF):

Cool Sidecar photo at Ballaugh Bridge:

This was one of my favorites, because it was so hard to get that close. It's Nick Crowe exiting Creg-Ny-Baa:

Molyneux at the same spot:

Moly's last lap in the "B" sidecar race. He smashed the record by more than thirty seconds:

Enjoy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Re: I'm goin' to the TT!!! (svmango)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by svmango »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you have a bike while you were there? </TD></TR></TABLE>

SVMango -

I forgot to answer your last question. We were advised by no less an authority than IOM resident Neal Hodgson, who said that whatever we did, we should not ride a bike there during the TT Festival! I rented a car (MG hatchback) instead. Driving on the wrong side of the road was an adventure, but by the end of the trip, I was pretty good at it, and when I got home, my first instinct when I hopped in my jeep was to shift with my left hand!

Everyone advised us that we should only travel any road connected with the TT course in a clockwise manner - even if it added an hour to our travel time - because this would ensure that we would be less likely to be struck head-on by a biker. No joke. They were deadly serious in giving us this advice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

All -

Did anyone catch TWT last night? I missed it, and of course that's the one where they showed my interview from the TT! Any idea of how I can get a copy of it?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Re: (gk)

All -

Baasinator has kindly offered to send me a copy of the show - thanks for all the offers to help!

The article in RoadRacerX should be out mid-August, in the Sep/Oct issue. I have seen the final draft, but not any of the photos they elected to use so I will be as surprised as everyone else in how it looks in final form.

Let me know what you think!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.