Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...you show me your first bike. Mine was a 1979 Suzuki JR50. I saw a thread about the little zook on another page and thought I'd share.

Yes I'm playing under the powerlines without a helmet! They were, apparently, tougher times!:D

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
Had an orange Kawasaki KD 100. And since I was the youngest, I only got to ride it when it was broken (i.e. brakes were shot) or it was too dark to ride so I had to take a few nasty spills to get it stopped in the middle of darkness.:eek:

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
Brand new Suzuki TS50, back in '75. Rode it accident free for 2 months prior to my 16th birthday, and then crashed it the day I turned 16 and got my license. Hit a dog at 50 MPH, went over the bars, bike stuffed.

The customizations started right then.... :)

I ported the cast iron cylinder (a LOT of work, with a hand file!), skimmed the head, opened up the rotary valve, built an expansion chamber and used to ride it 100 miles each way to and from College every weekend. During the fuel crisis, when gas stations were closed in South Africa on weekends, I used to sling a gallon can of fuel into my backpack and fill up half way home. My Dad would have fuel for me in the garage at home, for the return trip.
The bike would hold a steady 90 km/h (55 MPH) on the highway, which was about 10 km/h faster than the OE top speed :)

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
1981 Kawasaki KE125. Bought March 1, 1986 for $600. I was 13 years old and had saved for 18 months or so to get it.

Learned how to use a clutch by driving into a snow bank next to our garage, snow in Milwaukee was still 2 feet deep.

I was basically the same size I am now, a little over 6 feet tall. I remember that bike seeming HUGE (compared to my friends XR80 and XL100, it was). I was scared of all 13.5 hp. I sold that bike maybe ten years ago to a guy that came to fix our refrigerator. It seemed like a toy as we loaded it up into the back of the Appliance Store's van. Funny how time and age change how we experience things.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
1973 Honda SL 125

It was my cousins, sat for about 15 years before my grandfather and it got it back into running condition. After that the country roads of SE minnesota were never the same:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
2,737 Posts
Mom and dad wouldn't let me have a bike. At 14- 15 I covertly rode a friends 50 step thru all over the place for about 1000 miles. Well they didn't say anything about bike parts though, so a trans came home, then some cylinders, a bottom end, frame, wheels, bars, sifton cam, etc. and you get the picture. Finally a year later at 17, a panhead chopper somehow fired up and went out of the driveway under it's own power. Rode it for about 10,000 miles until the hard tail beat me to death. Sold it and got 'normal' bikes after that.

The one that is apart is a buddy's that is getting some used hi comp pistons from a drag race guy and a cam hotter than mine. Being kids, and not knowing about balancing, that one vibrated like mad after the hop up. Went like stink though. We were also masters at scrounging used rear tires as we would grind them off regularly at the green light 500.

edit:
The principal at the high school hated anyone that wasn't a jock. Especially gearheads. So the year after graduation I had two accomplices to my crime.
Each guy opened the door at the end of a long hallway that ran past the office. Precisely at 9:00 the principal made his morning announcements. Yup, had the mufflers off of that sucker and rode it straight through the building and gassed it passing the office as he was talking. Ran it home scared as hell but everybody knew who did it. Fortunately nobody got busted. About 15 yeas later I ran into the guy at the grocery store. I said hi and inquired if anyone has ridden a harley through the school lately. His face got as red as a beet as I walked away.

Attachments

·
ole dirt bastard
998 Posts
This was my first bike (1989 GS500e):

(Not my pic, but mine was identical)
i had a red and white one,with a vance and hines 2 into 1.
i also had a set of magura clipons and raask rearsets.
i had the header nickle plated and installed a dynojet kit.
she was sweet until someone decided they needed it more than me.
police recovered it 2 weeks later with the exhaust all smashed.
i could hear the thief running through the area the whole time just couldnt get to him fast enough.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This was under the Christmas Tree when I was 5 years old. I'm pretty sure my Dad just wanted to be able go riding himself ;) (Not the actual bike, just a pic I found)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Parents wouldn't let me have one either so I begged, borrowed, or stole (literally) rides whenever I could. My first was on a rigid frame mini with a friction bar against the rear tire for a rear brake. I was like 8 or so.

My first bike to make it home after I was 18:

76 Honda MT250 circa 1981

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I wanted a bike since I could remeber, but the parents would never let me near one. So I moved out when I was 17, and bought a 1998 250 exactly like this (purple wheels and all :eek: ) the day I turned 18. Sold it to a friend a few years later, and now I'll be buying it back, now ten years later, to have a second bike for the wife/track/commuting.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I've lost most of my early bikes pictures few years ago so I had to scour the Internet to find a picture of a similar one...

Suzuki RV90. Old man bought it as a toy and, predictably, left it languish at my grandparents' when he got bored of it (three months after purchase).
Desperate for a ride on the cheap I pretty much stole it from under him. My grandfather helped me getting it started (more on that later) and I started to ride around local trails.
With hindsight it was one of the worst POS Suzuki ever released on the unsuspecting world: it didn't have power, it barely had any torque worth mentioning, it always had problems starting (maybe the fact that I used agricultural-grade gasoline and oil had something to do with that? :eek:). But like all crappy first rides it was good schooling. A few months later I traded it for one of the very first Aprilia enduro made and it felt like it had about a gazillion bhp compared to the Suzuki...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts