Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could only choose one way to ride, which would it be? The street, or the track?

Here's my issue....Cleveland has crappy roads...After some recent events at work, it looks like i'll be completing my tour here which will be another three years. I've been pulled over twice in the past two months (no tickets, just warnings) and don't see the point in riding the street anymore....here's why:

1) Don't want to get another ticket (I'm not doing squidly stuff when i ride, just going a little faster than I should) and it's only a matter of time, when I get caught going way too fast. (There's not much else to do on long, boring straights...)
2) Any good roads are about 4 hours away
3) No one I know around here rides (probably becuase there is crap for roads), so it gets old riding solo.

I just signed up with NESBA and plan on going to Summit next month. I'm positive, i'll get addicted to the track...

SOOO...if it were up to you...would you get your fill of riding if you could just do track days once a month, or would you need to still ride street? I figure between gas, insurance, and any tickets, I'll end up spending more just to ride on the street. Or I could get rid of the RC, buy an older GSXR that's prepped for the track and get my fill that way....

I don't know, I'm just torn...I really can't afford two bikes (especially with the wife)...and the wife would rather I ride the track to keep me from getting tickets (and she knows its safer...without the SUV's and soccer moms)...

Thanks for reading this far....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: If you had to choose one: Street or Track? (section8superbike)

Another vote for track only... Damn, that means there will be yet another convert taking up the few available slots each weekend...

WE NEED MORE TRACKS!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: If you had to choose one: Street or Track? (didlysquat)

Both.
No reason you can run both with one bike.
I am in the land of Cleve also - but we run down south to Coshocton (sp??).
About 70 miles and then there are some good roads - not a lot of traffic and almost zero cops.

I have been taking my new street bike to the track and having a blast on it even though I have a dedicated track bike. I just took off the mirrors and plate and taped over the lights – no race bodywork or anything.

I just did 2 days at Putnam with STT and spent just as much time on my street bike as I did my track bike.

If you have a RC-51 (like in your picture) then that is a great street/track bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: If you had to choose one: Street or Track? (hank)

Doing Track Only here since beginning of this year.

Dont miss the street at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That's easy: track. I've only ridden on the street three times this year and don't really miss it. The only bad thing is the Monster I bought last year sitting in the garage collecting dust.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: If you had to choose one: Street or Track? (wdavis009)

Since my divorce & the subsequent loss of my stable I am not doing both with just one bike right now.

But with rare exception my street riding is limited to just the weekend warrior thing on early Sunday mornings or the occasional daytrip to the Ozarks in Arkansas etc both of which pretty much keep me in shape for my trackdays... I don't really do any casual street riding.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm working through the same problem myself. ( and for most of the same reasons )

For me the deciding factor will be how much street riding I do until winter. Right now it hasn't been alot and I'm 95% sure the bike will become a track bike....

The track was just so much fun and the street is getting crazier. Besides I don't think I'd spend as much on bling parts and I can put that money towards trackdays.... ( If you see a hole in this logic - keep it to yourself
)

So my vote is for track....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: If you had to choose one: Street or Track? (chaas67)

Track. Unfortunately, its been a while.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: If you had to choose one: Street or Track? (bsess)

So here's the real question.

Track

Or

Pu$$y

???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: If you had to choose one: Street or Track? (chaas67)

I am doing both right now,,,

'02 V-Strom 1000 for the all out street/everything rides (I did 1400 miles in 3 days this past weekend on a short camping trip)

'05 GSX-R750 for the track, no racing as of right now just trackdays. I still can ride the 750 on the street since I prepped it for wearing both sets of cloths, takes me 2 hours to throw on the track cloths. Its' all in the details.

I like both and enjoy both types of riding. I see no reason to give either one up. I don't ride the 750 on the street all that much but I can if I want to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: If you had to choose one: Street or Track? (Capt. Home Slice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Capt. Home Slice »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So here's the real question.

Track

Or

Pu$$y

???</TD></TR></TABLE>

How about Pu$$y at the track!

If the paddock tents - a - rock'in, don't .... er.... never mind

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I would have to say street. I think being on the track is a blast, but it costs money, and you can't always make the dates. I wouldn't give up riding on the street. I like being able to hop on a go for a ride, even if it is just down the street.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: If you had to choose one: Street or Track? (BALLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BALLS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am doing both right now,,,

I like both and enjoy both types of riding. I see no reason to give either one up. I don't ride the 750 on the street all that much but I can if I want to.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This may be a first... but I agree with Balls!

Seriously, I understand not wanting to ride on the street as much, but riding ONLY on the track??? I don't think so!

There's no way I would ever give up the freedom to go out for a ride whenever I want. Whether it's a canyon ride, a tour up through the mountains, riding around in Monterey during Laguna weekend, or just a trip to the corner store, I enjoy riding on the street.

As Balls and Eddie said, there's no reason you can't ride the same bike in both places...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This has been my first year of doing just track days and no street riding. I only miss riding on the street when i see my friends go out without me which really doesn't happen often. I think the track is much safer, much more fun and the only bad side is it is more expensive but it's worth it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Track only......waaaay cheaper. I am not some young punk squid...but an R6 was just not built to ride at 55.....and it only takes a veeeeeerrrrrry small twist of the wrist to be in triple digits.....and that can and does get to be very expensive. Although I will now not have anymore "interesting" cop stories....like the time a buddy and I got pulled by by a grandmotherly Georgia Highway Patrol cop in the mountains and she was telling us that she was going to beat our asses and so on....by buddy was just cracking up he was laughing so hard.....she was serious.....let us go with a warning...we could only ride a short ways further before getting off our bikes and rolling on the ground laughing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: If you had to choose one: Street or Track? (AZ Scott)

AZ Scott said:
There's no way I would ever give up the freedom to go out for a ride whenever I want. Whether it's a canyon ride, a tour up through the mountains, riding around in Monterey during Laguna weekend, or just a trip to the corner store, I enjoy riding on the street.QUOTE]

Problem with Northern Ohio is that there isn't a canyon ride, or a tour up through the mountains....I do enjoy getting off work some days and going for rides, but I'm always busy looking out for cops, i see some crazy as hell drivers, and there just isn't any good reason to ride here....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Track only with no reservations. I've been down on both and walked away from the track not the street.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: If you had to choose one: Street or Track? (roadkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">grandmotherly Georgia Highway Patrol cop in the mountains and she was telling us that she was going to beat our asses and so on....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know the women you are talking about, she waved and smiled at me once for pulling a wheelie on my DRZ400S while leaving Dales BP at the intersection of 60 and 180. Seemed like a nice lady since she didn't bother with a lil ole dirt bike.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts